Stealers Wheel audiophile LPs coming out!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bhazen, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

The only real point intended to be made here is that these Intervention releases are well worthy of their price point given the obvious attention to detail. I definitely look forward to their future output.

2. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Anybody know where I can sample listen to these Stealers Wheel albums? I like what I'm reading about these reissues but haven't heard the albums. They are not up on YouTube and they are not on Tidal. I am definitely not going to blind buy a $70 record (for us Canadians)....

IR Shane likes this.
  3. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I don't know the answer to that, but if you think "Stuck in the Middle With You" is a fine song, then you should buy the first LP (or both of them): fantastic music with many excellent songs on each LP.

IR Shane and bhazen like this.
  4. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I just got into Stealers Wheel three months ago. I think they ***are *** my second favorite band behind Das Beatles. I can't stop listening to them. Sound production and overall song quality. Take the plunge and get their debut self titled.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I just listened to the IR versions of Stealers Wheel Ferguslie Park. Kevin Gray did a great job on this all analog release. The pressing is pristine as well. I never heard this before and I can say I really like it. IR is doing these releases the right way and I will be looking forward to more titles from them.

6. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Since Shane is supposedly working on a SACD release of the first album I decided to wait for that having no turntable in my system (nor desiring to install one ;-). But when said he had no intentions of doing the same with the follow up, Ferguslie Park, I bought the LP and had it transferred to digital by forum member JBStephens - Restoration of historic sound recordings. ». I agree that the pressing is superb. Extremely quiet!

IR Shane likes this.
  7. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

This is a really tremendous post as it speaks to the twin goals of doing reissues- improving what's been heard before for the people who know and love the record, and introducing it to a whole new group of fans. This is great! As much as I love Gerry Rafferty's solo work, Rafferty and Egan were magic together!

Joti Cover and Simon A like this.
  8. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I hope I didn't misspeak on any earlier posts. I am pursuing hybrid CD/SACD releases of both Stealers Wheel records. I hope to have an announcement in the first half of this year. It is the Joe Jacksons and Everclears that I have no plans for as there have been ample CD reissues and expanded CD editions. Sorry if I was unclear on that at any point. The Stealers Wheel records seems an obvious choice as they aren't on CD currently.

supermd, Alexandre, Dok and 5 others like this.
  9. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

And...
    Right or Wrong too? :shrug:

IR Shane likes this.
  10. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Excellent. I was a little disappointed when I heard that only one of the albums would be out on SACD, but glad that you corrected that misimpression. I will look forward to both of them on SACD.

11. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I've just taken delivery of the two Stealers Wheel LPs - I've only listened to the debut so far, and although I've nothing to compare it to it is absolutely stunning! Of course I've heard 'Stuck In The Middle' countless times on various compilations, and I always assumed it was a fairly 'lo-fi' recording - boy, was I wrong! Looking forward to Ferguslie Park as I do have a (rather battered) UK original, so I am hopeful of great things! I know these two LPs cost me the best part of £75 in total (that's the UK prices for you) but they were worth the extra money in terms of being such a deluxe package with perfect vinyl that sounds glorious :)

12. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Now he tells us! :winkgrin: Hey Shane, this hurts the pocketbooks of retired people! ;)

IR Shane likes this.
  13. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I would have to look back at the posts. I thought I was clear that i was trying to do both Stealers titles, but if I misspoke I do apologize!

14. Just purchased my copy of IR "Stealers Wheel" and looking forward to hearing it... I've heard great things here!

Simon A and Joti Cover like this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Copies of both albums arrived today. Diverse Vinyl have them in stock at £38 and £40 (extra for the gatefold). A bit overinflated compared with other Audiophile imports but much cheaper than from Amazon sellers.

16. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

That's exactly where mine came from, pre-ordered both last year (£34 and £36 back then I think...), mine arrived about a month or so ago - it was well worth the wait and the cost - both are superb.

17. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Still too expensive for me, but great albums!

18. Classicrock

I've decided to go for quality over quantity with vinyl from now on. Will also sell a few duplicates to balance the expenditure.

19. Classicrock

These Intervention Stealers Wheel titles are great sounding and bar MFSL 45 rpm titles they are the best pressings from RTI for years. Look and clean background is reminiscent of RTI pressings from the 90s. Great mastering from KG on these - shows what he can do with a good analogue source. These have the flow and tonality of a good 70s vinyl with the added resolution a modern cutting set up gives. First class job and congratulations to Shane for producing the quality lacking from certain other audiophile labels these days.

20. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I'm with you. Heavy research done on every title, for me, now.

IR Shane and Joti Cover like this.
  21. bigal00769

bigal00769 Forum Resident

I finally got these cleaned and played. Job well done Shane. IMO worth the money. First class all the way. Got my new Groovetracer sub platter put in the other day and the sound on these titles is WOW! Looking forward to more titles from Intervention.

IR Shane, Joti Cover and Simon A like this.
  22. Listening to my copy of the S/T now, a great album. Very well done and I am pleased with the purchase. Highly recommended to all!

IR Shane, Joti Cover and Simon A like this.
  23. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Hey there- just a heads up. I got final paperwork on the Stealers' hybrid CD/SACD discs! I am already in production on Stealers 1 and will keep you apprised.
    I just wanted to check back in- I got final sign off on the Stealers hybrid CD/SACDs and am in production on the self-tilted debut! Some details- the jackets will be Stoughton's 5" old-style "tip on" with film lamination, basically a miniature version of the LP jacket I did. Very stoked about these as the cover art by John Patrick Byrne is sublime and best seen and felt this way. I think these are going to be really nice!

For full disclosure, the files were captured at 24/192 directly off the analog tapes. I know that some prefer direct-to-DSD, but all I can say is wait and listen before deciding (judging!). They'll sound great! For future projects if enough people believe it's important let me know and I can spec direct to DSD. Not all my projects will warrant CD/SACD releases- these are no brainers as they aren't in print on anything other than my LPs right now. but I'm all ears on this topic so let me know what you think!

bhazen, arob71, Joti Cover and 8 others like this.
  24. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Thanks for the update Shane! I cannot wait to hear this baby. :)

IR Shane, Joti Cover and art like this.
  25. art

art Senior Member

cannot wait.

IR Shane likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.