Steely Dan Aja vinyl shootout

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam, Aug 12, 2013.

1. rl1856

rl1856 Well-Known Member

Just picked up a c1977 Japanese ABC pressing (YX-8114 AB). To my ears this is now the best copy in my collection. MUCH better clarity of instruments and all the little sounds that are part of the performance. Musicians are anchored in the space of a wide and deep soundstage. Wayne Shorter comes in like a soaring angel. In comparison, my AB and other copies sound muddy. Caveat is I think the Japanese engineers boosted the treble slightly while vocals seem farther back in the mix.

Japanese copies are readily available for about the same cost as other premium reissues.

Preston likes this.
  2. ODShowtime

ODShowtime Forum Resident

They seem to be worth about $3 in Tampa these days I have a pile of them. I finally found my copy a few weeks ago; excellent condition all around.

3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Forum Resident

It's funny, but my AB sounds anything but muddy. It's astonishingly open in the midrange.

4. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I had that pressing but preferred the Cisco, which I feel is a bit fuller in the midrange and has a bit more bass. I feel that if the Japanese had more low end, it would be a tough call.

5. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

What the the heck just checked mine. I always thought it was the AB..... Turns out it sort of is. And apparently a Santa Maria too. All hand etched...
    Side 1 : S AAB 1006 ( RE-3) -A 1A ( the B is scratched out)
    Side 2 : AA AB 1006( RE-3)-B ( the AB is scratched out)

I've also got a Mofi too that I've had for ages. Time for a high noon shoot out. But I seem to recall the ABC copy was better.

6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Forum Resident

My AB 1006 is one of the best sounding vinyl pressings I own. Every time I find a clean one in the used bins I snatch it up, give her a good cleaning, pass it on to a vinyl friend, and let them know they're in for a treat.

Cassius, GentleSenator and boboquisp like this.
  7. ODShowtime

ODShowtime Forum Resident

That's funny Doctor, I have about 6 copies and I'm giving a few out for the holidays this year.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Forum Resident

Right on, those will make fantastic gifts for anyone who's into vinyl. It's pretty cool that we can still pick up a true audiophile vinyl pressing for a few bucks.

John Bliss likes this.