Steely Dan Aja vinyl shootout

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

There will be an "S" in the wax, for this one and IIRC, a SX?

aoxomoxoa and GentleSenator like this.
  2. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

From Discogs: "Many records that were pressed there can be identified by the letter "S" or a backwards "S" (Ƨ) etched into the runouts. Frequently there will be a "S 1", "S 2" "1 S", "2 S", etc."

3. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

It always seemed odd to me that the flip side to these often have T1, which seems to be associated with Terre Haute? I know metal parts could be used across different pressing plants which is what I assume happened here.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What's the going price of the MoFi?

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Spent $9.00 to get a used one a couple of years ago. I think it’s my fave, over the AB-1006, but just by a hair. Less IGD with the Mofi.

What I’m waiting for...45 rpm 2 lp Aja! My dream.

Kamaaina1 and Christopher B like this.
  6. alexpop

Aja? bargain MFSL!!!
    I got Sticky Fingers MFSL for 14.00 ..I like it, though not popular.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    Chemguy likes this.
  7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Don’t worry about the Mofi at all. It’s quite good, as I mentioned. Good as my AB-1006, maybe better. I do not hear what some others have criticized, and I plain disagree with some aspersions cast at the Mofi.

misteranderson and alexpop like this.
  8. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

Anyone heard the german pressing?

9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I found a gorgeous Aja vinyl MFSL pressing on Saturday at my favorite record store for $25.......I passed on it because the line was long at the counter, and I needed to be across town in the next 15 minutes. By the way, that record shop was packed to the gills, and lot's of merchandise was being sold........those who say physical media is dying a quick death are crazy. :crazy::blah: I'm going back today after work to see if it's still available..

10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Why? It's really not a good mastering. There are better sounding pressings. It suffers from the infamous "smile" EQ. It's harsh and bright on top. The midrange is sucked out. Sure, the vinyl will be quiet. And if you really need to spend $25 to find out for yourself, go to town. Call them. I'm sure they'll put it aside for you. But there are better ways to spend $25, in my opinion, including getting a clean AB-1006 US copy.

11. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

FYI, although some like the MFSL, I found it to be bottom of the heap in a shootout, with the original AB 1006, the Cisco and even the stock AA1006 beating it. On my system the MOFI sounded grainy and harsh. Sold it right away. YMMV.

Echoes Myron, Dr. Funk and marcb like this.
  12. alexpop

Good score I got Mintee for 30.00.

John Bliss and Dr. Funk like this.
  13. I am not crazy. Physical media will live longer than me. Good luck on your visit.:wave:

John Bliss and Dr. Funk like this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Physical digital media isn’t dead yet, but it is clearly dying a quick death. Just look at the retail options - both in the number of retailers, the space dedicated to it, and the variety of product available - for physical digital media just two or three years vs today.

New hardware and software will become harder and harder to find. Thinking otherwise is just wishful thinking.

And FWIW you dodged a bullet on the MFSL Aja. It’s a nice collector piece, but that’s about it.

15. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I have several clean AB 1006's......I want to hear the MFSL with my own ears.

16. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I didn't mention digital. Thanks for the advice, but I want to hear the MFSL with my own set of ears.

John Bliss and Fishoutofwater like this.
  17. I am not going to agree with you and when i am buried deep into the ground, i will hear you say "that silly english guy who lived in France was right; bless him":wave:

Slick Willie likes this.
  18. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

It is not as dreadful as its reputation and certainly listenable, but the AB1006 is far superior from an EQ perspective.

Interested to hear your thoughts when you get a copy.

19. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I have AA1006, the Cisco and the Mobile Fidelity. They are all good sounding pressings but the Cisco is the least desirable compared to the other two. The Mobile Fidelity and the AA1006 are better each in their own right. I still have to get a nice copy of the AB1006 though.

20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Nothing wrong with that, multiple variations found at a good price is pretty cool. Found a VIM 4039 Japan 1980 in exquisite condition a couple years ago for under 10, of course it went home with me :)

Dr. Funk likes this.
  21. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

It's such a great album. I already own 4 vinyl copies and 3 digital.......oh well, they are fun to compare. :cool:

c-eling likes this.
  22. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I mentioned in another thread that I found a pristine copy of the AA 1006 not knowing that the AB was the holy grail. That said, the AA sounds glorious to me so I certainly have the AB on my must buy list because I can't imagine it being better. But if it is.....wow! At the moment, on Discogs if I want to but an AB in the same condition (NM) as my AA, it's a pretty big price tag. So will be fun to potentially come across one in a shop for a more 'reasonable' price.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    webmatador and Dr. Funk like this.
  23. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

do you mean that the AA you have sounds glorious?

24. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Yes, good catch. Post edited just in time! :)

25. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident