Steely Dan at Great Woods - 8/19/2003

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ACK!, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member Thread Starter

Steely Dan at Great Woods - 8/16/2003

Steely Dan played The Venue Formerly Known As Great Woods this Saturday night and phenomenal would be an apt way to describe this incredible show.

You know how when a band is having an "on" night - when they're playing at their absolute best and everything is just right? Well, that aptly describes what I saw last night. This is my third time seeing SD and by far, it was the best.

As always, the show begins with the band coming out and playing a jazzy instrumental to warm up the crowd. Then, towards the end of it, Becker emerges from stage left and Fagen from stage right, which drives the crowd crazy. Then, they finish the intro and went right into..."Aja." It was like listening to the album. It was so clean, so perfect. They did FIVE SONGS from "Aja."

And like they did last tour, they brought back old songs they haven't done in a long time. They did three songs off the new album, including "Things I Miss The Most." Just a superb frickin' show. A phenomenal band, including a new drummer who did a solo that just blew everyone's doors off.

Although there were certain songs they didn't do, like a lot of the early stuff, they made up for it with the songs they did do. You just had to be there. The crowd was really amped. The first time I saw them was great, the last time good, but not as good, but this time, they outdid themselves. They ended with "My Old School" and "FM" for the encores.

A great way to spend a Saturday night.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

ACK!, could you please check the date on that one? :confused:

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

did steely dan have an opening act? also did they arrive on stage on time?

thanks-

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Damn, gotta get tickets on eBay for Mohegan now...........THANKS!

5. JohnG

i'm seeing them this Friday at Jones Beach!

6. ACK!

Oops! Guess I was so excited I screwed up! Check the subject line - I stand corrected.

:rolleyes:

7. ACK!

As always, there was no opening act. They played for nearly three hours with an intermission. They came on about 10 minutes past eight.

And..."they got the Steely Dan t-shirts."

:D

8. JohnG

thanks ACK!-

now I know I need to get down to Jones Beach by 8PM. One less margarita I guess :(

9. DEJBlues

DEJBlues New Member

Definitely a great show. One of the fun light-hearted moments occurred when Don Fagen let the crowd sing the first few stanzas to "Hey Nineteen". The crowd really got loud for the lyrics "Sweet thing from Boston...!" The Boston Globe music critic Steve Morse said it was by far their best show in the Boston area and that they genuinely appeared to be having fun. I would definitely see them again.

10. ACK!

It's good to know that the critics saw the same show we did. A truly magic night for music.

They also had the crowd going in July, 2000, when they opened with..."The Boston Rag."

:thumbsup:

11. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I "eBay'd" two tickets yeaterday, so I'm going to Mohegan to check them out Monday. I will report back with the setlist. Hopefully, they will still be as good! :D

12. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Should we spoil the secret? "Hey Nineteen, that's ______________."

For the Detroit show, I'd say the 2000 was better...especially sonically. The sound back then was nice and tight. This time around, muddy and grating on the ears. The band just didn't mesh as well this time...but there again, it could have been the mediocre sound. The 2003 set list was great though...can't beat five from Aja.

13. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

They are also playing Oakdale, much smaller at 4800 seats, on 9/10. My anniversary, so I won't be there....

14. JohnG

One day til Steely Dan at Jones Beach!

:):):)

15. JohnG

How bout those sexy Steely Dan singers!! coochie-mama :D

[​IMG]

16. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Ooh, I've got a serious Carolyn Leonhart fetish thing. She's fascinating to watch (like on SD's "Plush Jazz-Rock Party In Surround Sound") and I love her voice. Has anyone heard her solo album "Steal The Moon"?

Sorry for the thread hijack...

17. JohnG

Yeah they're all great!

I'm bringing my binoculars to tonight's show at Jones Beach NY.

There should be some tasty tunes floating in the summer breeze tonight! :D

18. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Jones Beach? Temporarily renamed Blues Beach. :D (Also brings on the line, "Sleep on the beach and make it..." ;) )

The backdrop videos were a bit different this time around...but they weren't really all that visible until the sun went down and it got dark. The Coochie Mamas were welcome eye candy though. :D :love:

19. JohnG

Yes Blues Beach will be a-rockin' tonight.

A small ICE contingent will attending including Rob from LA and Jimbo of Oceanside. I'll try and take a photo or two of the gang.

I'm psyched....4 1/2 hours to go...this will be my 4th time seeing Steely Dan at Jones Beach since they reunited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.