Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy SHM-SACD on 7/30/2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joshbg2k, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Countdown to Ecstasy is the only SHM-SACD coming today. This order includes Platinum SHM-CDs of Countdown to Ecstasy and Brothers in Arms. (I already have the SHM-SACD of Brothers in Arms.)

2. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I, too, expect to give the Ecstasy SHM-SACD a spin tonght. Hopefully, the powers that be in Japan are continuing to employee terrific mastering engineers in the UK (or wherever it is that these particular tapes are kept).

3. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

My preorder placed 2 months ago included Countdown to Ecstasy and both Free titles released on 30 July 14. Strangely while the Steely Dan SHM-SACD is now in-stock in my order, the Free SHM-SACDs are still "processed" . So huge demand for Free?

4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Free S/T will be released August 27th, that is why your order is being held up.

5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

You are right about the release date of S/T. But my order included the other 2 FREE titles released today (7/30): Live and Tons of Sobs.

6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Oh, I forgot about "Live". My pre-ordered copy of "Tons of Sobs" shipped a couple days ago.

7. GRC

GRC Senior Member

Pre-ordered Countdown SACD - not shipped yet - can't wait (although I am happy with all the remasters)..........what I am really waiting for is that Super Session 5.1 SACD audio fidelity disc due Aug 19th !!

8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

First spin as I type. Very initial impression of the SHM-SACD is that the mastering is similar to what we've been getting in recent months. My current go to for Countdown is the Japan 18P2, which I haven't spun in a while. That said, I just can't imagine I'll find that the old redbook holds a candle. My early vote is decidedly in favor of DEFINITIVE.

ti-triodes and audiomixer like this.
  9. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Thanks!

Who in the US did the tape transfer to DSD?

10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I only see mention of Roger Nichols at Riversound. Thinking that is an old credit.

11. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

....the last page in the booklet, where you sees the the txt "www.facebook.com/umkami"...on top of that page.... :)

12. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Toshio Asami is the product manager but there is nothing at all in English which refers to the DSD engineer.

13. Macman

Macman Senior Member

What is the packaging like on these. Is it like the "deluxe" boxes used for Breakfast in America and Disraeli Gears?

14. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

jh901 likes this.
  15. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

I thought that the Roger Nichols and the Dan boys determined that the original analog tapes of the whole catalog were rapidly deteriorating back in the early 80s and transferred everything to digital.

How are they going back to the original tapes now, 30 years later?

sunspot42 and Paul P. like this.
  16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Yeah.

17. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Good. Thanks.

18. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

19. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

It's a hidden message what to come.....;)

20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Cranking it up for the 2nd listen. So far, so amazing!

21. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

It would be interesting knowing what analog tapes they used. Did they found some good dub tapes in the archives? (copy of the originals?)

LOS ANGELES -- MCA Records accidentally used inferior master tapes in the manufacturing of seven Steely Dan compact discs, the label has admitted.
    "All of Steely Dan's original albums, from 1972's "Can't Buy A Thrill" through 1980's "Gaucho," were transferred to CD from the proper master tapes for their initial run in 1985; but subsequent pressings, including current warehouse and retailer stock, were made from faulty masters."

"The tapes used to master the inferior Steely Dan CDs were the original analog masters; but according to Roger Nichols, one of Steely Dan's recording engineers, they were in terrible shape, due to improper storage, and had poor fidelity. In 1981, Nichols meticulously transferred them to new 3M digital masters, in anticipation of demand for CD catalog reissues. Although MCA used the new digital masters for an initial release in 1985, subsequent runs were mistakenly made from the old analog masters, which have been steadily deteriorating."

http://granatino.com/sdresource/18crime.htm

Plan9 and jh901 like this.
  22. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I have ordered the SHM-SACD, so now I can listen for myself :)

jh901 likes this.
  23. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Would love to hear your impressions Bill of the Steely Dan disc so if you can drop em a pm.

24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I agree. Flat, clean, space around everything. I'm hearing things I've never heard before!

jh901, ti-triodes and RiRiIII like this.
  25. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

From what you hear, is it possible they used the 16/50.0 kHz 3M tape?
    Because I have heard some really nice 3M-to-DSD transfers that sounded significantly better than their CD counterparts, Rickie Lee Jones "Pirates" on MoFi SACD is one of them. Those early 3M machines was built to sound like analog with very audiophile sounding class A electronics....

Paul P. and Plan9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.