STEELY DAN Everything Must Go

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I prefer this and Two Against Nature to Gaucho and Pretzel Logic, settle down now, just my opinion. Also, as far as bringing in a better studio drummer, who's better than Keith Carlock? Just playing what he's told.

2. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Thanks for this Padreken. They are a wonderful tribute band. I will almost certainly catch up with them at Blakeney 5th August.

3. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Alive in America is sterile, but the Third World Man version is better than the Gaucho one.

4. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I just gave it a spin for the first time in awhile. I love it. And it's desterilized compared to Two Against Nature and Kamikiriad.

5. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I agree. I like it better than Two Against Nature or Gaucho.

6. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever completely liked a Steely Dan record on first listen. The beauty of what they do is that their albums get better with multiple listenings. Listening to them made me realize a long time ago that (usually) when I like an album on first listen it tends to fall by the wayside fairly quickly. The ones I've listened to over and over again tend to stay with me over the long haul.
    Especially with a band like the Dan, they've had an impeccable track record over the years. Please, for the sake of humanity....give them a chance!!!!
    :--)

richarm, e.s., Bowie Fett and 2 others like this.
  7. Mai Tem Baht

Mai Tem Baht Forum Resident

You don't like Walter's solo in Bad Sneakers?

8. limoges

limoges Forum Resident

Back in the '70s, Walter laid down a number of great solos: "Pretzel Logic," "Black Friday, "Bad Sneakers," "The Fez," "Josie," "FM."

I will grant that during the ensuing decades, although he developed his chops even more, he became somewhat of a noodler. I find some of his solos on TAN and EMG to be less focused and concise than his earlier ones. I do really like his solo on "Godwhacker,"though.

ParloFax and Bowie Fett like this.
  9. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

I put the title track in my top5 sd tracks. Also in there is paging audrey from becker's last.

whisper3978, Tom34772 and Bowie Fett like this.
  10. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Don't like it. Steely Dan lost their mojo after Gaucho. Extended breaks tend to be career killers in the music business. :thumbsdow

11. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

My preference here is for Two Against Nature, but still a fan of EMG.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    driverdrummer, e.s. and Tom34772 like this.
  12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

IMO Everything Must Go is on par with Two Against Nature- they both have their share of good, Steely Dan-worthy songs and then a few that are just...there. Given how successful 2VN was -Album Of The Year and all that- I can imagine Becker and Fagen thinking, "Well, s--t, I guess we'd better do a follow up, then." Sonically the albums are like night and day to me; the sound of 2VN isn't that far removed from that of Kamakiriad (down to the monotonous, metronomic drumming) whereas EMG sounds like an actual human band, even if they did seem to restrain Keith Carlock's drumming a bit.

I have to lash the two "Millenium Era" Dan albums together to get a selection of songs I can enjoy alongside the rest of their albums:

Gaslighting Abbie/What A Shame About Me/Blues Beach/Godwhacker/Green Book/Jack Of Speed/West Of Hollywood

OptimisticGoat, SteelyNJ and ParloFax like this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

as i've said elsewhere:

steely dan has never made a bad album, and never will: should they choose to do another.

14. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Every time I listen to their albums, the songs sound better than the previous spin. The band is in my top 5, right behind Bowie, Beatles, and the Stones.

Everything Must Go sits nicely with their 1972-1980 output. Love it.

:love:

chrisblower, e.s., Tom34772 and 2 others like this.
  15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

EVERYTHING MUST GO is sooo underrated. Even they don't like it, apparently. Saw Steely Dan in 2003 and they didn't perform a single song from it. I really like it, especially the DVD-Audio's multichannel layer. I need to dig it out and play it again!

16. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

Everything Must Go...What a sensational musical statement from these guys !!! Possibly my favorite album that they've ever made. There's a separation of instrumentation & arrangement, that pretty much stays with each tune, leaving the sound full & natural, but with lots of space too, so every part "hangs" in place extremely well, & creates a link to the next instrument, & its phrase... Listen out for the rhythm-guitars to gain an idea of what I mean. It's like all the parts are under-developed, yet when played together, & in sequence, paint a remarkable picture. Every instrument is conversing with the next, but without stepping all over each other.

Walter Becker is a great guitarist. His solo's are excellent IMO. His noodling on a couple of the live album tracks may be worthy of complaint only IMO.

I believe the success of every Steely Dan album that's ever been made, is how different it sounded to its predecessor, & EMG is no different.

As great & refreshing as it was to here Steely Dan again in the studio after 20+ years with Two Against Nature, Everything Must Go sustains that freshness & unique modern sound of there's, & it still rocks after all these years.

Love it !

Ciao,

Gregster

NB. My edition came with a bonus DVD too, that is an absolute crack-up to watch...Quite a taxi ride lol !

mr.dave, chrisblower and richarm like this.
  17. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I think that Things I Miss The Most stands with all of their most acclaimed
    Material during the first run of albums. It's terrific.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  18. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Great thread. Lots of interesting opinions on these two discs. I love the Classic Dan releases and I followed them up to Gaucho. I was late to the follow up Fagan solos, but have picked up his first two The Night Fly & Kamakiriad, and have enjoyed them both. I've never heard Morph the Cat or Sunken Condos yet. I was very late to the party for Two Against Nature and picked up a CD not long ago. I like it. It has grown on me. After reading this thread I guess I need to add this to my collection as well. Thanks for this thread and to everyone who has posted to it! It's threads like this that help perpetuate my interest in pursuing new 'old' music for me.

e.s. likes this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I like Morph the Cat but The Nightfly and Kamakiriad are my favorites. Bought Sunken Condos and listened to it maybe two times. Didn't care for it at all as far as the musical content and the SQ of the CD is pretty poor.

mr.dave, RoyalScam and DonnyMe like this.
  20. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Agree with this. I loved Two Against Nature, but was really pleased that Everything Must Go wasn't just a continuation of that.

mr.dave, RoyalScam, Gregster and 2 others like this.
  21. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Kamakiriad is one of my favorite albums by anyone. The more I've listened to that album, the more it's meant to me.

chrisblower, DonnyMe and rstamberg like this.
  22. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

How appropo considering Walter....under rated album. Get it out...

e.s. and Bowie Fett like this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is this a sleeper, or perhaps I'm the sleeper..this is pretty good/godsmacked.
    How come no stUdio DAN albums after 2003 ? Anything recorded ?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  24. I have never heard this album until today!! A friend gave me CDR of it yesterday and first listen i think its a great album. I really like it. Is there a fav mastering of this cd or will any issue sound fine?

25. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

Huge Steely Fan but this one’s just ok in my book. Probably my least listened to Steely album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.