Steely Dan... What Do You Think???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don't take him alive!

2. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

As a high school senior back in 1972, I thought Steely Dan was going to be the next big thing. For once, I was right.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

How cool is that! I never realized Ray Brown played on Razor Boy on Countdown to Ecstasy. Thanks for that posting that piece of history :).

Bill

4. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I liked everything up to Gaucho. Some cuts on Gaucho are good, some bored me.
    The last two have moments.

As much as I love Procol, Steely Dan is/was in a class of its own, This refers to an early post.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  5. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

Sounds like they recorded actual drum parts and then triggered them beat by beat with a computer.

I wonder if Fagen recorded his vocals one syllable at a time and had Roger Nichols assemble it later!?

Bananas&blow and Sneaky Pete like this.
  6. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Love The Royal Scam, Katy Lied, and Pretzel Logic. Aja is pretty good, too. Never gave Countdown a good listen.

After that, I'm pretty much satisfied with A Decade of. "Do It Again" is the only song that I like from Can't Buy A Thrill.

7. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

When I get bored I usually pull something from here;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sandinista, ailgin, YMC4 and 11 others like this.
  8. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Wonder how come Audio Fidelity and Steve won't remaster some Steely Dan anytime soon? Is there any 5.1 original mixes available?

RoyalScam likes this.
  9. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Woah dude love your avatar. Was a huge Odds fan back in the day. Got to meet them after a show in Jasper,Alberta once. Great guys

gregorya and bibijeebies like this.
  10. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I prefer my SD as a self-contained group rather than the revolving door of session musicians for Fagan & Becker.
    It's hard to argue the merits of Aja, which is a high water mark, but for me it's all about the band up through Pretzel Logic.

Ghostworld likes this.
  11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Don't worry about it guys, my website is perfectly safe- I built it myself using Wix. There's nothing on the site that requires a password or credit card.

If yer that worried about it, the album's on Soundcloud as well.

12. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

The nurses one, Definitely the nurses...

Felonious Friend likes this.
  13. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

That snare drum on Countdown to Ecstasy I thought was really thin, especially on Bodhisattva. As my equipment became somewhat better I could appreciate Jim Hodder's drums -slightly- more but I still wish he would have used a better sounding kit. The guitars by the way are awesome.

14. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Hey Crazyhorse. Big Odds fan myself, obviously. I traded some e-mails with Craig Northey and met him after a show he did with Colin James here a few years back.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  15. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Same. I can appreciate the rest of their stuff for it's musicianship and the slick quintessential 70's sound I suppose. But they don't do anything for me musically.

16. abescan

abescan Forum Resident

I was lucky to see them when I was in the Navy in San Diego at Balboa Stadium when they opened for Elton John in the fall of 1973. Then saw them again at some music club in San Diego the next Spring which was great.
    They have always been at the top of my favorites and As I like everything....my favorite albums are their first 5.

17. -19db

-19db Active Member

18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Aren't records great? You can never have too many.

apple-richard likes this.
  19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

20. Dave's SG2k

Dave's SG2k Forum Resident

I love your avatar. Stained Class and Point of Entry are my 2 fave Priest recordings. As for "The Dan" I love everything they do and always look forward to their next project.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  21. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Been on a humongous long Dan kick lately, each album on repeat for a few days progressing through. I think Victor Feldman is the only dude to appear (let alone to be so widely featured) on each album through Gaucho (other than Becker and Fagen of course)?

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

:laugh:I just ultrasonic cleaned my original GAUCHO Robert Ludwig mastered vinyl tonight....1980.... that thing sounds awesome.

Joti Cover likes this.
  23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Correct, re: Victor.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Every album a winner up to Gaucho, tbat is.

25. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

There were a lot of non-core players on Pretzel Logic. The gatefold pictured the band, but the credits said otherwise.

Great album though.

Joti Cover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.