Steely Dan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Charlie990, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie990

Charlie990 Senior Member Thread Starter

While shopping recently I eyeballed CDs at several different stores. Kmart , Target and a Walmart. I know none of these places are noted for having stellar music departments. They were all selling the Steely Dan CD " Everything Must Go " . Prices were about $14.50 at each store. Question : is this the high rez disc ? There was no mention of 5.1 or DVD-A audio on any of the jewel boxes or shrink wrapping. The disc is Reprise 48435.

Thanks...............Charlie

2. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Was it in a standard jewel case? The high-res DVD-Audio version is in a larger-than-usual jewel case (the new "standard" for DVD-Audio). Plus, the high-resolution layers of the DVD-Audio version of "Everything Must Go" are clearly marked on the back of the packaging.

As far as I know, none of the big department stores (Kmart, Target, Walmart) is carrying DVD-Audio discs yet. I've seen a few hybrid SACD discs at Fred Meyer (a department store chain owned by the Kroger company here in Portland), but mostly just Police Greatest Hits hybrid SACD and some of the Rolling Stones hybrid SACDs.

I recommend Best Buy, or possibly Circuit City, as "big corporate" store sources for high-resolution discs (both SACD and DVD-Audio).

Craig.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There's two versions of the redbook CD. One with the DVD video of the Taxi Ride (16 min) as a second disc, one without. The DVD-A is in a much larger super-jewel box, and has both stereo 5.1, DTS, and Hi-Rez 5.1 as well as the Taxi video.

What you saw was the normal CD. (unless the jewel said 2CD on the spine)

4. Charlie990

OK Thanks everyone. I kind of figured as such but was not real sure. I will be visiting Best Buy real soon. I will then check out the real thing.

Charlie

5. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

My local BB has "Everything Must Go" on DVD-A for the low low price of 13.99. The DVD-A has hi-rez stereo and surround mixes of the album, plus the "Taxi Ride" video.

And it's probably the best-sounding DVD-A I own.:thumbsup:

6. Charlie990

Thanks Gardo...everyone I have talked to who owns the DVD-A version raves about the sound on this disc. I will check out Best Buy soon.

Charlie

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

DVD-A is amazing, BUT---the video is 16 min. on the DVD-A, but 23 min. on the CD version. This absolutely BLOWS!

8. Tim

Tim New Member

The DVD-A blows the CD out of the water........

9. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Big time! Any idea what's missing--i.e., which delightful passenger are we NOT seeing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.