Stefan Grossman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sberger, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

An artist who I'm sorely lacking albums by. Heard a track from his Those Pleasant Days lp over the weekend and loved it. Where should I start? Really looking for just vinyl, and looking at Discogs there's a ton of stuff, most of it easily had.

Thanks in advance.

Newton John likes this.
  2. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

If you can them, my favorites are:

How To Play Blues Guitar
    Black Melodies On A Clear Afternoon
    Yazoo Basin Boogie
    Shake That Thing
    Country Blues Guitar: Rare Archival Recording 1963-1971

BigDanT and Newton John like this.
  3. sberger

Thanks!

4. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

by FAR my favorite is Crosscurrents with Danny Kalb. Amazing album.

Other ones that are very enjoyable for me include:

Gramercy Park Sheik
    Those Pleasant Days

There are also quite a few good songs scattered across many albums. Other than the Crosscurrents album, which should be obtained whole, if you want to basically have almost all the good songs across all the albums (in my opinion) you could pick up the 2CD compilation "Those Pleasant Days" on Castle Music - it's basically everything you will ever really need by Stefan Grossman from his solo albums.

dormouse and sberger like this.
  5. sberger

Thanks!

6. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I'd echo some of the above. I've just got hold of Crosscurrents and it is a fine album. I'd previously bought a compilation of both Aunt Molly's Murray Farm and The Gramersy Park Sheik which are also very good. Incidentally a good proportion of the songs on Gramersy Park Sheik and Crosscurrents were published by Apple Publishing.

7. sberger

This is the one that I've been playing a lot lately. Incredible.

[​IMG]

8. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I'd been pondering this as a purchase but the CD issue has some bad press for being a poor quality vinyl rip. Which version do you have and would you care to offer a few comments to encourage me to jump!

9. sberger

I have the original Transatlantic vinyl, which is superb. Don't have a cd copy, but I see that the one review on Amazon is certainly not encouraging.

If you have the ability to play records, I would heartily encourage purchasing the vinyl. You will not be sorry from either a musical or audio standpoint. Otherwise I suppose just wait to find a cd for not much money and take a chance.

dormouse likes this.
  10. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I suspected that you would come back with a reply like this! I do have a lot of vinyl (mainly from many years ago) and I still do buy the odd vinyl record when the mood takes me. Sadly I don't have a decent turntable set-up at the moment so I tend to listen mostly to CD. I probably will take the plunge with this album at some point as I have enjoyed some of Stefan's other material without claiming any great knowledge of the man. A musical recommendation is always useful, so thank you.

sberger likes this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

12. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

Even Dozen Jug Band ... a sublime record, right up there with Blues, Rags, & Hollers from that era we miss so much!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.