Stephen Colbert: Not funny?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by erniebert, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile Thread Starter

2. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Much funnier than Letterman. I think he's great.

Jaap74, billdcat, Mr. H and 2 others like this.
  3. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Gee, who would have thought what is funny is a subjective thing? :confused:

Me personally I think he is very funny and the show is excellent.

4. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

100% agree, and I'll add he is trying way too hard. Unwatchable. Then again most late night is now. Conan has to see the landscape now and just shake his head he's the most tenured one of the group and doesn't have a network show (meaning no NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX).

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I'm sure you are not alone. Thanks for bringing this to our attention and do let us know when you have found a comedian that is universally appreciated. TIA.

BTW there is already a thread dedicated to the new Late Show with plenty of complaints. Join in. Knock yourself out :)

6. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I think he's hilarious, but like any late show host, not every bit that he does hits the bull's eye. Of course, I was a longtime fan of Colbert Report, so maybe I'm biased. But I think he's considerably funnier than any of the other late night hosts.

7. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Not only do I think his funny, but I think his show, by virtue of having more political guests, is a lot more intellectual than the two Jimmys' shows (which I also like). It's great counter-programming.

8. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

He's a nice man.

Huck Caton and jupiter8 like this.
  9. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I had pretty much stopped watching late night talk shows, but now, I want to watch Colbert. I just love his energy. He is more positive than Kimmel and less of a starf**ker than Fallon. On every show I've seen, he's made me laugh.

10. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I don't like most comedians that desperately try to be funny, it's like watching childbirth.

He is one of them.

11. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Conan O'Brien is the guy who has never made me laugh ever.

12. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Fewer kicks these days, so the intro is smoother. I've grown to enjoy his "Hungry For Power Games" bits, the latest placing the backyard tree branch over Jindal's face (was that not funny?).
    I think he has an extraordinarily nimble mind and a big heart.

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm sure there are plenty of Johnny Carson monologues on Youtube. Just can't get enough of those "How hot was it in L.A." jokes. Those are comedy gold.

14. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I was present and actively involved for the birth of my child, the single happiest moment of my life. You should probably pick a more effective metaphor.

15. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile Thread Starter

Why did you post this?

MadMelMon and vinylbuff like this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I cannot stand him and I don't not find him funny in any way shape or form...

Huck Caton, dewey02, F1nut and 4 others like this.
  17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

He's too political and one-sided for me. At least Jon Stewart had the balls to "zing" his own Party occasionally when they really deserved it.

18. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Yeah...Colbert is a super-smart and a very funny guy, but his show has become too political and, well, not much fun. I haven't tuned in in weeks. May be why he is sinking.

inperson and Fox67 like this.
  19. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

I see MeTV (or similar type station) will start running "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson" reruns starting in January. I may be dreaming, but I'd like to see them run the 30 or 40 year old reruns of Johnny in the same time slot as today's late shows, and see if it might actually compete (at least with some markets).

dewey02, dharmabumstead and rburly like this.
  20. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I vote "Not Funny"!

Huck Caton and ssmith3046 like this.
  21. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Much more obvious and predictable than funny

22. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Very funny and thought-provoking. Not charades with TV sitcom stars, but what can you do?

forthlin, OldSoul, zebop and 2 others like this.
  23. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

These late night talk shows bore me. I have never found any of them to be funny. Dry tasteless humor no matter who it is.

24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I think your observations are valid, but I guess his flaws don't bother me quite as much, I find just enough of his stuff funny to keep me watching him instead of either of the Jimmys.

25. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I watched the Colbert Report religiously. This new iteration, less and less, ... and less.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.