Stephen Colbert: Not funny?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by erniebert, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's cool..

2. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

Apparently you haven't been worked over enough to be impressed with the "We're the sophisticated, educated, urbane liberal oh-so-superior to those uneducated rube hicks in flyover Jesusland" scam.

Cue the laughtrack.

Huck Caton and Lightworker like this.
  3. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

Carson was pretty good, and set the standard, imo. Although, he was apparently quite the A-hole. Letterman was good early on, in a quirky, good-natured way. Then he got ... strange .. at some point. Leno was consistently great, seems like a genuinely good guy. Maybe I'm wrong - if ya can fake sincerity, hey ya got it made right? Quit watchin' years ago.

Platterpus likes this.
  4. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I don't like him either so you're not alone.
    What is funny is some people will argue with you and say you don't get it.
    We all have our own sense of humor.

erniebert likes this.
  5. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

:thumbsup: me too.

SandAndGlass and Huck Caton like this.
  6. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

for what it's worth, I never laughed once at "The Colbert Report" and I happen to like Stephen Colbert.

Huck Caton likes this.
  7. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I think Kimmel has Biff working on his show now, and Paul came by and played with the band...... If Letterman shows up too, it will be clear who they like.

8. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I've waited for some reason before posting. Colbert isn't a somic or comedian that I know of. So he's he's not "funny ha ha" like most hosts are. The guys who can deliver a good, funny monologue shape the rest of the show for me. If I'm laughing at the monologue, I'm usually good for the rest of the show. Craig Kilborne was pretty good at that. Maybe the monologue isn't considered essential anymore, but it's a good start to the show for me. I like to laugh, so I like someone who can make me laugh. Colbert is a different animal that way. Either you enjoy his humor, or you're ok with it, or you don't like it. I enjoy his show for the most part. Hey, he hit the Big 5-0 last night!

9. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I grew up in the heart of inside-the-Beltway metropolitan Washington, D.C. and have four academic degrees including two Masters degrees.
    That being said, I find single-Party political "humor" of any stripe boring and provincial. Trey Parker and Matt Stone, on the other hand, are
    comedic sophisticates who speak to/for the "fly-over" masses through the (sadly) lost art of satire. Way back when John Stewart and Bill
    Maher dabbled in actual satire they had relevancy as well. Not so much these days, I'm afraid. And Colbert? Always a one-trick pony.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Lightworker

It was an Adele record after all. I would have been offended if it had been a Johnny Burnette Trio LP.

11. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I don't think this really applies to Colbert. I think he plays to flyover country just fine. He's from South Carolina, for crying out loud. Hell, he had Kyle Busch on during last night's opening segment. Does anybody think Jimmy Fallon even knows what NASCAR is?

What I like is that he doesn't cynically insult the intelligence of middle America like Larry The Cable Guy by creating a dumbed-down caricature that isn't really him. For this show, at least, he's just being himself and assumes that the audience can keep up. He's kind of like the band Rush in that regard (who he is a fan of, BTW).

danner and jupiter8 like this.
  12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I have more or less stopped watching TV. The tropes are all too obvious, too annoying.

13. Lightworker

Austin ain't "flyover country" these days...it's more like a little chunk of California blown East and grafted onto the Colorado River.

14. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I agree, but, it was a lp... and as he pulls it out he says something to the effect of "young people out there probably don't even know what a record is"........ Apparently, by the way he handled it, neither does he.

15. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I'm not sure what where I'm from has to do with anything. Personally, I think of Austin as a microcosm of America. You can be what you want here. You can go to the art gallery or the rifle range. Your choice.

Despite gentrification efforts, there is still very much of Willie Nelson/Doug Sahm vibe here. That didn't come from California.

16. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

It's the nature of the beast I suppose. Like some of you, I wish that these night show hosts could have more of an edge to their comedy. However, these guys are paid to appeal to the lowest common denominator and guys such as Colbert aren't doing stand-up in a small comedy club where more liberties can be taken. There is less mainstream appeal in a television host whose humor and jokes are biting or controversial.

17. Lightworker

That vibe's down about 65-70% from what it was in the 70s and 80s when I lived there.
    It's also a little too "blue" politically to be real a "microcosm of America", but you can still get
    really good enchiladas East of I-35 if you know where to look. Hook 'em Horns.

18. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The problem is that only one side is really supplying the funny comedy freaks. That's not Colbert's problem. Have a word with the Democrats and ask them to add more oddballs to their ticket to even up the comedy value.

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Of course the vibe has been watered down, but it's still here. You can always find good food in this town. \m/

20. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

With the new show, Colbert really has taken the Leno admonition of "go for the joke first" to heart. Trouble is, to this day, no one knows Leno's leanings. Since everyone already knows Colbert's, some refuse to give him a chance.

21. Lightworker

You can't be serious?!? Did you watch the first Dem debate? LOL

Dudley Morris and goat65cars like this.
  22. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I don't think he was making that claim to be honest.

And I'd prefer my Austin without Californian chunks, thanks very much!

Synthfreek and Lightworker like this.
  23. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Stephen Colbert: Funny & smart.

Kevin j likes this.
  24. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I liked Colbert when he was a correspondent on The Daily Show. I watched one episode of The Colbert Report. Not my thing. Not watching his new show either, though I'm sure he is sometimes funny. I just find him unlikable.
    I've never watched Kimmel's show either, but he was a hoot as Ben's sidekick on Win Ben Stein's Money, one of the greatest TV shows of all time.
    Fallon is awful.

SandAndGlass, Huck Caton and stumpy like this.
  25. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Colbert really is really funny. Most of the first 10 -15 minutes of the Colbert Report were always hilarious -which really is a combo of him and his writers and what they were allowed to do.
    This new show has less golden funny bone moments, but I have seen some sparks of the old magic here and there.
    If you don't laugh at his humor then you just need to refer back to Don Rickles or whoever does make you laugh.
    I could never stand Leno yet always thought that he is funny after all, but watching him I always just drew a blank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.