Stephen Colbert: Not funny?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by erniebert, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

So you're ranting about "Red Chinese" university students, Low-T, and Ted friggin' Nugent...but everybody else is a hater.

Huck Caton, 905, zebop and 5 others like this.
  2. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'll sheepishly admit that I was being sarcastic when I called Johnny's jokes about the L.A. heat "comedy gold." He was considered passe by the mid-'70s. For me and my friends, his show and many of his guests were about as relevant as Lawrence Welk and the humor as cornball as Hee-Haw.

Yet folks are upset that Stephen Colbert -- who made his name hosting a daily parody of Fox News -- is political, and seem to wish to return to the days of "It was so hot . . . "

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  3. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I'm sure that this rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Although, Johnny Carson and Dick Cavett were seriously metro, Leno and Letterman were defintely not, so they got the late night audience accustomed to the "regular guy" vibe. Of the current crop, only Kimmel fits that bill. Seth Meyers takes metro to a whole 'nother level.

4. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

It was a rerun from Monday. Over 80 percent of the show was for Star Wars.

5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I saw that. I thought it was going to be a live show, but it wasn't. I posted for those who might want something to watch if they wanted to see Kimmel.

6. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

Oh lord, I hope not. I'll crap my pants.

7. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

... with no recruiter in sight. :D

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

1.25 seconds point. I watched that live...perfect. Couldn't find the full version which destroys him. Ranks didn't appear much on UK TV after that.

9. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Nation, I used to watch “The Colbear Repore”, and it was freaking hilarious.

But I haven't seen any episodes of “The Late Show”, as I am afeared that it would be dumbed down for network TV. And I can't watch CBS on my hooloos anyway.

And that's the word.

--Geoff

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  10. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Nobody can be good 5 nights a week. That's why i only watch Bill Maher.

Karsten likes this.
  11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Steve Allen was.

Huck Caton, erniebert and rburly like this.
  12. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Long ago...

13. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Can that be proved? Or is that merely just more opinion?

14. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Colbert was rushed decision CBS, part I don't know why they ask Dave,
    for at least his opinion , ? Yes Colbert , is forced dry and plan whitebread
    1960's funny. As interviewer ... he's dull Tavis Smily has more going for him.
    All the old ones that have left Jay & Dave had it at one point.
    Colbert, has big emptiness about him. While Fallon, is just there to entertain himself
    100% of the time being a hooch goblin sauce monkey doesn't help him ether.

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Not only that but bringing Steve Allen into the discussion is really an apples and oranges comparison, and a fairly disingenuous one at that: in Steve Allen's day he didn't have like four or five other late night chat show hosts to compete with like Colbert does in 2015.

I watch Colbert every night at work- it's something vaguely entertaining to watch, at least. Passes the time. I never watched The Colbert Report (or The Daily Show, for that matter- mainly for reasons that go against forum policy;)) but I know enough about the guy's shtick that people should know what to expect with him, even if I'm still convinced that CBS forced him to tone things down a notch or two. Is he funny/not funny? Depends on yer sense of humour, I suppose...I can see why he's not everybody's bag, but who is?

Benno123 likes this.
  16. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Like I said before, there's going to be some uncomfortable discussions here about whether Colbert Leno'd himself when he went to CBS.

I think he's guilty of focusing his show more towards the tastes of great-aunt Esther in Topeka who passed away in 1993.

It's already becoming hard to reconcile that this was the same person who was on the Colbert Report.

17. JL7

JL7 Forum Resident

Keep Colbert. I'll take this guy:

[​IMG]

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  18. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Well, I don't watch the show. But I started in on this link... and about a minute in he gives my cousin's R2 Fish School a nice plug!

May seem silly, but he makes a FORTUNE on his fish training equipment. He travels the world for fun 100% of the time and only has to work a few hours in the morning from wherever he is. At the moment he's at Elephant Mountain in Taipei.

Can't tell ya if Colbert is funny on his show, but I can guarantee Russ has never seen this clip... nor does he care when I tell him he was featured again on X.

Jeff

19. Gems-A-Bems

Everyone is welcome to their opinion. We all have our likes, our biases, our prejudices. - but where it gets tricky is when people, in the course of explaining their decisions, start to sound like they don't know what they're talking about.

Colbert = "dry and plain whitebread 1960's"? At the risk of being rude - are you sure you "get it"?

Billy Infinity, OldSoul and dlokazip like this.
  20. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The word used here was funny, not the same as happy.

21. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

The metaphor was that an unfunny comedian is like watching childbirth, as though childbirth was somehow a negative. I do not understand the metaphor. Please explain.

22. SandAndGlass

When the Democrats had Colbert do one of his unfunny monologues before congress, that was really unfunny to the point of being disgusting.

And nobody could turn him off, not that there were not attempts.

23. Gems-A-Bems

If you are referring to the time he spoke about the immigrant farm workers bill - then it's official: you didn't "get it".

Billy Infinity and daglesj like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

I don't get the take that childbirth was a negative thing. Not that I have experienced it, but funny is not a metaphor I would use to describe childbirth. I can't imagine that going through the labor part would be "fun", though everyone is happy with the baby.

From now on, when I happen to be somewhere where Colbert is on TV*, I'm sure that I will be thinking about the labor of childbirth. I will probably be gritting my teeth and wincing also.

His monologues are rhetorical, before he even opens his mouth to speak, you know that his sole purpose for existence is to take jabs at the "other" political party as viewed from his and his parties "superior" intellectual point of view.

How much talent does it take to sit on the sidelines and your only contribution is just throwing rocks at members of a political party that is not your own.

How funny is listening to someone berate someone else who at least might be attempting to make positive contributions to society.

Painful to listen to as I would think that labor is painful to endure.

With Carson, he would poke fun of whoever was in office. Carson rarely, if ever, expressed his private views in his public life. Carson would poke fun at everyone.

No negativity on childbirth here.

* My TV is used to watch videos and display album art from Pandora. I don't even have a SAT box connected to it. (I run a small motel and have boxes laying around)

25. Gems-A-Bems

I don't know, but I'm willing to bet it takes more talent than complaining about someone else doing it.

(Never mind that you were just complaining that he didn't sit on the sidelines)

It's also not surprising that those who admit they don't watch him miss the shots he takes at the party they perceive is his own.

Billy Infinity and OldSoul like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.