Stephen Kings "Dark Tower" Film/TV Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rontoon, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I still say they got the actors reversed; Matthew for Roland and Iris for the baddie.

enro99 likes this.
  2. Nah, I feel that this, surprisingly, works. Idris can bring intensity to his roles as can MC but I can see MC playing a dark, disturbed character--he did well with that in "True Detective" (a series that I still insist is all style and no substance with so many silly red herrings that the only thing that saved it was the moody direction and performances).

I think that Idris looking bigger and MC looking smaller (casting against the descriptions of the characters in the novel) could offer some interesting performances and storytelling potential. It doesn't matter if Roland looks thin and weathered--he is the only opponent that The Man in Black (Flagg whatever you want to call him) considers a worthy opponent and, from what I remember, he kind of admires Roland to a degree for his purity of purpose and steadfast mission.

Rather than assume its going to be lousy maybe we can take a wait and see attitude since King himself worked over the various drafts and gave input into what he considered the good, bad and ugly of the script.

Ultimately, in an ideal world, Clint Eastwood 45 years ago would have been ideal for the role since he truly was the role model for Roland but I think we need to have an open mind with how the mythology--including the casting--plays out.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. Well they are having their cake and eating it too. The horn of Eld allows Roland to reset the journey and while the film will take events from the various books for the film, he has the horn at the beginning of this film suggesting that it is, in a sense, an alternate version of the novels with elements from them but a different journey.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That's easy for you to say. :confused: So it's more like "inspired by" the Dark Tower.

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Huh? That's exactly what it is.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think what is even a worse sign is having a Danish director with English as a second language. It's always pretty easy to pick out films directed by foreign directors, there's just this slightly off-beat feel to films made by foreign directors. They have a more absurdist/avantgarde vision in many cases, which results in a slightly strange feel when it's an American production. They tend to be more expressionist about things like costuming and set decoration which borders on the goofy to American sensibilities. Hence my worries about the "discotheque" costumes in that still. There's also the fact that they don't quite have the nuance and inflection of the language down, so often they'll use takes where English-speaking actors aren't delivering lines in the possible way, something an English speaking director would notice, but an ESL director wouldn't. Of course it's a restrained Dane that the helm, so it might be okay. It's the French that really go overboard with the garishness. If Luc Besson were directing this, I'd turn my six-shooter on myself rather than watch it. And if this gets turned into some "Snowpiercer" kind of wild fantasy film, I'm going to be equally turned off. What King does best is tell a tale so realistically that even the implausible seems plausible -- The Gunslinger asked for a dust in the wind director like Sergio Leone and not Ken Russell. And this story, what with giant robotic bears and talking choo-choos, could be completely cloying if the direction is too splashy and absurdist. Once again, if this turns into some kind of John Woo extravaganza with 360-degree flying spins and blazing gun, I'm going to hate it. Low key and natural is what this film calls for to offset the basic nuttiness of the story.

7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

OK, this is one really cool example of viral marketing that you have to check out. Go to www.thesombragroup.com, and download the app. Then either pick up the Entertainment Weekly magazine Dark Tower issue, or find an image of the cover on your computer (like I've provided below), and "scan" the cover with the Sombra Group app. Make sure you also have the sound turned up on your phone to get the full experience.

[​IMG] ! SPOILER

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    enro99, Lewisboogie and kevywevy like this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Matthew McConnaughey is 46, which I think is a little old for the character of Roland Deschain. If they could've gotten Matthew at 30, he would've been perfect.

9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

I did this today with the cover and the app. Pretty cool in virtual 3D.

10. I guess if Stephen King is ok with it (he has read each draft) I'm ok with it.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

He hasn't exactly shown the greatest tastes in directors or productions in the past. I heard he cut out almost all Roland's dialogue; so he must have at least seen Iris Elba act. Thank goodness.

12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Awful. Just awful. "Only you can save us." Lame.

13. Wait, are you saying that Idris is a bad actor? :-popcorn:

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Chris from Chicago and P(orF) like this.
  15. Well Akiva Goldsman is involved. I became increasingly convinced that the script ideas for A Beautiful Mind came from Ron Howard and that the Oscar should have gone to someone else.

Hopefully Akiva did t "Lost in Space" this.

I'm looking forward to seeing it even if they made changes. I read the books years ago and sometimes what works on the page won't work on the screen. The door thing though does bother me...maybe in post they "age" those sci fi things or make the. Ago away.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Chris from Chicago and Vidiot like this.
  16. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Just started reading the series. Fired up. Appreciate those who have spoiler-warned the most spoiler-y stuff.

17. Be careful because the movie cherry picks elements from the series.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's my impression from the AICN story I posted above. I'm disturbed already that they changed the doors to other dimensions... :sigh:

wayneklein likes this.
  19. rontoon

I realize that I'm in the minority but I'll judge this film only after seeing it. Yeah, I'm silly like that.

ad180 and wayneklein like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Have you ever seen a movie that Akiva Goldsman wrote? Any of them?

21. rontoon

I saw A Beautiful Mind. Great film, he won an Academy Award for his screenplay. And he's only one of a handful of people who worked on the screenplay for The Dark Tower?

Have you even read the screenplay for The Dark Tower? Didn't think so...

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The script has been widely discussed on the web:

The man in black fled across the desert...and tonight I read "The Dark Tower" script. (spoilers) • r/TheDarkTower
    Deconstruct The Script: STEPHEN KING - THE DARK TOWER - THE GUNSLINGER - SCI-FI - ADAPTATION
    Quint breaks down the Akiva Goldsman/Jeff Pinkner draft of DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER!
    Stephen King made The Dark Tower movie interesting again with one tweet - Geek.com

Bear in mind this is the same screenwriter who wrote the following:

I Am Legend
    Jonah Hex
    The 5th Wave
    Constantine
    I Robot
    Winter's Tale
    Poseiden
    Lost in Space
    Practical Magic
    Batman & Robin
    Batman Forever

These were not good or successful films. I'm approaching this one with extreme caution, and I'm basing my expectations on the word of somebody who's actually read one of the scripts and seen 10 minutes of the actual film. I don't have an opinion yet since I haven't seen even a trailer yet, let alone the film. But I think this would be a tough film to pull off by anybody.

Here's a shot from the set:

[​IMG]

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  23. rontoon

Yes, I'm well aware of AICN and Quinn's articles. The script that you linked to was an old draft that's outdated. The photo with the green screen background means nothing, there have been a lot of photos and images released and I also have a copy of the leaked trailer. So what? As I said before, I'll judge the film only after I see it.

24. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I think this sums it up fairly well. To those that have read the books, I think this series is about redemption. And it's a giant circle where he has to keep doing it until he gets it right. This is his next...or one of his next journeys.

Now, what has to happen to get it right? Fewer people have to die? I doubt that. He's a gunslinger. Maybe do it in a way where Jake doesn't die?

25. Or have him die and then have one of those Marvel-type post-credit scenes where we learn he'll be back for the next one (assuming there is one).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.