Stepping into headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Summerisle, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

The Sennheisers are widely available therefore you can try them before purchase. Not only in audio shops, but computer outlets have them, airport duty free etc, you can plug in your player and try all models, at least up to hd650. Personally I would not buy a headphone set without having some chance to try them out first. Apart from the quality, I'd say Sennheisers' HD 600/650 popularity is also due to their mass availability.

2. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

not an expert but i have two pair of grado's 80's and 225's.if when i get new audio equipment i will get a higher end pair of grado headphones.currently i use via computer and audioengine D1.

RollinHard843 likes this.
  3. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I use K701s :)

[​IMG]

kevinsinnott likes this.
  4. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Go to a meet-up or find some other way to sample them. Ham Sandwich suggested a group that meets in your vicinity - a great start. I have a friend who adores his Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 phones, but neither is my taste. I prefer the AKG sound, my favorite being the AKG k501. Beyer, Grado, Audio Technica and several other companies have their fan clubs. Phones are as personal as toothbrushes or shoes. Head-Fi is wonderful, but might overwhelm you; plus their members are so into it they tend to focus on minute differences (to the rest of us) and it'd be hard to point you to general starter information. Some nice bargains there as some members phone-hop.

wgb113 likes this.
  5. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I have Grado 225's and like them a lot. I also have a pair of Senn.650's and it really just depends on my mood which one I listen to. I intend to get a pair of the upgraded Grado 325's soon. I need a decent full size amp to give the 650's a chance to sound there best. Right now I just use headphones with my AudioQuest Dragonfly Amp/Dac and computer, or my FiiO X3/E17 combo.

malco49 likes this.
  6. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

How would you compare the two? I'm looking for a decent headphones for the office. I'll be using my Schiit Fulla to drive it.

7. kdejonge

kdejonge Forum Resident

I think there is a meet coming up soon in Bothell on december 6, more details will be announced soon. I have the hifiman he-400i paired with a gustard h10 hooked up to my rotel. I really love it, the comfort and sound is incredible. Together they are about $800, as others have warned this hobby is evil :).

Summerisle likes this.
  8. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I would say the Grado"s are clearly brighter and I guess I would say more dynamic. The 650's do not have as much energy in the high frequency range and have a more relaxed and warm kind of presentation. It is also worth noting that the 650's are a high impedance headphone and would definitely require your amp while the Grado's are much easier to drive. In short, they have a very different sound signature and most people like one or the other. Except of course me. As others have already said, if at all possible see if you can audition them.

Kyhl, Summerisle and whaiyun like this.
  9. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

That is a pretty good summary. I have some older 225s and HD600s and prefer the HD600s for their warmer presentation. I haven't used the 225s since picking up the HD600.

Summerisle likes this.
  10. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just picked up the Grado SR225e phones. Got them at a great price. Now onto a amplifier. My dealer needs to get some in so I can audition those.

11. Summerisle

I will keep that in mind.

12. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I've been tempted to them used. How much were they?

Also check out the Schiit stuff. Great quality no nonsense stuff made in the USA.

13. RollinHard843

RollinHard843 Forum Resident

Great headphones, especially if you enjoy clear treble. Getting these made it impossible to listen to my audio technicas. There was nothing they did well anymore!

I listen to them through a Schiit Vali, but then again thats my only dedicated headphone amp. I like the sound south i havent looked elsewhere.

14. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

You are advised to keep headphones dry and instead wet your feet with some kind of liquid, for instance gasoline.

Summerisle likes this.
  15. Summerisle

Yes! I must remember that.

16. Summerisle

I got them for $149 with tax. A demo model. They sound amazing just through the iPhone.
    What I don't like is that they keep popping out of the iPhone headphone socket. It is driving me nuts.
    Cleaned out the socket with a toothpick and no lint.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

It's the somewhat stiff and somewhat unflexible Grado cable that is causing that combined with the fat Grado style rubber encased plug. Get a short (like 6 inch) adapter cable made from a flexible style of cable and that should fix the problem.

What size plug does the 225e have on the end of the cable? Is it a 1/8" mini style or a 1/4" full size style?

Summerisle likes this.
  18. Summerisle

It's a 1/8" mini with a 1/4" full size adapter.

19. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

A short adapter extension cable like this, or similar, would likely work. It's just a cable I found with a quick Amazon search. There are likely other similar cables that may be better designed or have a better connector. Find something designed for the iPhone because the iPhone has a special socket design.

That's a great price you got on the Grados. Grados are a fun headphone. But my philosophy is that the best headphone is two headphones that pair well and complement each other. I'd be thinking about something like the HiFiMan 400i or 400s to pair with it eventually. Or a Senn HD600/HD650. And be thinking about an amp that will pair well with such future headphone thoughts. For now though you'll have lots of fun with the Grados.

I've found that hybrid amps tend to work nice with Grados. The tube part of the hybrid helps tame the Grado treble. The solid state part of the hybrid allows the amp to have a low output impedance that allows the amp to match with Grados and future headphone choices. I tend to like hybrid amps for headphones.

The Schiit Lyr 2 might be worth considering. However, I haven't heard it, and it would be at the upper end of your budget. The Lyr 2 has a low gain and a high gain setting. The low gain would probably work for the Grados, but since I haven't heard it I don't know. Just throwing it out as an amp to consider. It's an amp that would work with the HiFiMan headphones, Senn headphones, and likely the Grados. I have the original Schiit Lyr and have used it with my Grado SR325is headphones. The original Lyr only has a high gain setting which means you need to be very careful with the volume knob when using it with the Grados.

20. Summerisle

Thanks, very helpful.

21. Summerisle

Also want to listen to a Rega ear amp. My local dealer will be getting some soon and I can't wait to demo it.

22. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I think you bought a very good pair of headphones. From reviews I have read the e series is a meaningful upgrade from the older ones I have. I love the Grado sound.

Summerisle likes this.
  23. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I have the older Ear Mk1. Sounds great with my MDR-V6's!

Summerisle and kevinsinnott like this.
  24. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

+1 on the Grados. I love mine!

25. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i should add i use HIFI man headphones with my stereo.the D1 dac didn't seem to be able to drive them.and they sound great through my cambridge audio 540A and project headphone amp.i forget the model # of the cans.they ran $250 new several years ago.

Matt Starr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.