Stepping into headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Summerisle, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Summerisle and Reese like this.
  2. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

FWIW, I was (and to some extent still am) in your shoes. So far, I am pretty happy with the Sennheiser 650's and the Pono. In January and February I will be on the road and they will be my only source of music. Then I will know more. I once auditioned high end Audeze and was unimpressed, though HS tells me that may be because I listen mostly to classical.

Summerisle likes this.
  3. SandAndGlass

If I were to purchase another pair of headphones (I have the Hi-Fi Man's HE-400's), I would buy the Sennheiser 650's, trouble is, I just don't care for wearing headphones and prefer my speakers. I do have a couple of sets of IEM's, a Hi-fi Man and a pair of Monster Turbines.

4. -19db

-19db Active Member

Summerisle likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

For those who may be interested, HiFiMan is offering a sale from Black Friday to Cyber Monday. They have some great prices posted.

Dino likes this.
  6. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

The Audio Technica ATH AD900X gets top ratings on that Head Fi review along with the Sennheiser HD600. However I don't see these cans being recommended or mentioned much on this forum. Has anyone tried them? Amazon sells the ATH AD900x for $147.00, down from $299.

Thanks

7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Audio Technica open headphones tend to be more popular among gamers than people who are strictly music listeners. The headphones do a style of soundstage that seems to be good for gamers being able to get positional cues from the audio. That soundstage style, and tonal style that goes along with it, can make the sound a bit different for music listening. Some people will like that for music, some people won't. I find them a little weird sounding for music.

Dino and Ivand like this.
  8. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

If you're going to be listening to these at home, try them directly from your amp/receiver. Many have the headphone out taken directly from the speaker taps. If your amp has that, it could equal a dedicated headphone amp.

The last head-go meet I went to a few years ago, HiFi Man was there with their complete line up include a new dedicated headphone amp that cost $2K IIRC. I was set up next to them with my vintage Realistic STA-2200. Opinion was pretty evenly dived on which sounded better and everyone felt it was a close call. The only thing the HiFi Man was that it had more head room when driving the HE-6, the headphone it was designed for.

9. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

Never liked Sennheiser. But love the other German alternative, Beyerdynamic, which I discovered in the 80's. They stuck with me for ten years. Then, travelling world-wide for a long time, having to listen to portable, I think I used up at least four sets of Koss Porta Pro. I always like to have a set of this "legend" in my house. For the time being I am back to Beyerdynamic (it's all in my profile).

kevinsinnott likes this.
  10. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I like the Grado RS1 ($700) but all their cheaper 'phones have way too much treble for me.

The Nighthawk indeed sounds very natural and laid back - and they weigh almost nothing.

I am looking at the HiFiMan 400S - but if I spring for them and they have too much treble I will have to throw them back.

11. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love my SR225 e's. Very well detailed for casual listening. My floor standing speakers get the most action and play.

12. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

If you are not listening balanced you might want to consider it. It made a world of difference with my Pono and Sennheiser HD650 (and HD600).

I am using Venus Audio balanced cables. I don't know how they compare to any others but I am happy with them. (I bought a second set for the HD600 so I didn't have to switch the cable back and forth. :))

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARDAS-PONO...CABLE-SENNHEISER-AUDEZE-HIFIMAN-/171629420247

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

FYI, that's not the way to put them on.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  15. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wish I could afford the Grado RS 1. One day. Maybe.

16. RollinHard843

RollinHard843 Forum Resident

I have no personal experience with the RS1 but ive read that the e series model is a little weird. It might have been fixed by now, but the RS1e has a bigger driver now and it protruded out too much which made the sound a little weird.

The RS2e however is probably one of the best of the e series (from what ive read). The i series model was already good apparently. I got the RS2e in september and its awesome! If you like treble clarity and textures of sounds (scrapes, hits, etc) then youll love these.

erowid likes this.
  17. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

I listen balanced, and you are right, big improvement.

Dino likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.