Stereo non-compilation albums with mono/fake stereo tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

I think several of the live tracks on Uncle Meat by The Mothers of Invention are in mono. Without checking, I'm thinking 'Ian Underwood Whips It Out,' 'Louie Louie' and parts of 'King Kong.'

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Interesting no one yet has mentioned that "Shambala" is in fake stereo on Three Dog Night's album "Cyan". The song has never been mixed to stereo, and the 45 is mono.

rxcory and Michael P like this.
  3. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

'Rock this town'--The Stray Cats, on the BUILT FOR SPEED LP--mono. (And also is mono on the US 45 even though the label says stereo and the track has a stereo matrix number.)

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There are also mono elements in Lumpy Gravy (not including the bit they accidentally included in mono on the 90's remaster).

5. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

She's my Kind of Girl is mono on the otherwise stereo Abba Ring Ring album. The track, IIRC, was recorded pre-Abba in 1969 or 1970.

6. Joel1963

Just remembered Sweet Music being the only true stereo track on the Yardbirds For Your Love album, but that might be classified as a comp. And the Kinks' Face to Face is a mixture of fake and weirdly mixed true stereo.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  7. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Elvis for Everyone!: "Your Cheatin' Heart", "Tomorrow Night" (overdubbed), and "When It Rains, It Really Pours" are all rechanneled stereo.

Jack Scott (Carlton): "Leroy" and "My True Love" are rechanneled.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nearly certain it was not recorded in mono, just that no stereo mix was produced.

On the Happy Jack LP, Whiskey Man and Don't Look Away were fake stereo for some reason, but it's worth noting that See My Way has *always* been fake stereo (or mono), regardless of the release. I suppose it's only been with recent CDs that all of the other 9 tracks have been presented together in true stereo while that song is still fake stereo, but the point still stands that those 9 have always been *available* in true stereo, somewhere, while See My Way hasn't.

Isn't The More I See You/Call Me from Chris Montez true stereo except for Call Me?

Fresh Cream - Stereo except for I'm So Glad.

Buffalo Springfield - Stereo except for Burned.

Correct about Turn Turn Turn!, but Mr. Tambourine Man was true stereo, just *very* narrow.

9. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Sunny Afternoon wasn't in stereo on Kronikles or the PRS Face to Face stereo CD. I'm not sure about the original LP

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Cottonfields on the overseas version of Sunflower is fake stereo.

11. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

I don't think that one has ever been officially issued in real stereo except on an extremely rare Canadian promo record. You can find the "true" stereo track online. Band on left, lead vocal on right, BGV's centered. I wonder why they didn't put the lead centered and BGV's right, it's obviously a 3-track multi spread out.

Keith V likes this.
  12. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

That was a completely different recording than what we got here in the states. "Cotton Fields" (2 words ) was in true stereo on 20/20 (2 words for 2 channels :D), but then the BB's rerecorded it as "Cottonfields" (one word) a country song and it became a hit in the U.K. I don't think it was ever released that way in the U.S., as they were between record labels at the time (that or they were loved more in England in 1969 that here in the States :().

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It was a #1 hit in Australia. The back cover of the album is weird because the sleeve note is about how awesome the stereo album is and then you get the EMI rechanneled symbol next to Cottonfields.

14. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Sorry, I meant how it was released, not recorded.

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Early pressings of the Big Ball Warners compilation have a note that they would replace the mono "Oh Well" with a stereo version if they ever got one. I guess they didn't.

16. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

There was a neat record store back in the early 70's I used to shop at that carried imports and bootlegs. One of the import albums was a BB comp with "Cottonfields" with that (/) symbol which meant mono or rechanneled. Since I already heard 20/20 and did not know about the rerecorded version it puzzled me at the time as to why a track I already heard in stereo was faked on the import.

17. Joel1963

James Brown's
    I think there's a stereo version on the latest Face to Face deluxe edition, with the background vocals spread out like early Beach boys stereo.

18. Joel1963

When I first heard Mr. Tambourine Man on The Byrds Greatest Hits, I thought it was fake stereo.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not sure about BGH, but it's definitely true stereo on the original MTM LP.

20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Their final single on Capitol:
    [​IMG]

It was a number one in Sweden (and several other countries), but oddly nowadays everyone here associates the song with the CCR recording.
    There was no stereo mix of this version though.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The stereo releases of the UK configuration of Are You Experienced started out having four tracks in either mono or fake stereo, these were eventually replaced in stages through different pressings, but not until the 1993 (Alan Douglas) CD remaster were all tracks present in true stereo. (That remaster cheats a bit since it has the alternate take of "Red House", there is no stereo mix of the original take, it also has a different version of "Can You See Me").

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

"Having Fun With Elvis Onstage" = Mono! An audiophile album ahead of its time!

23. Joel1963

I think it's stereo on the Hawthorne, CA collection.

24. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Ah, that's right, I can't keep track of all those latter day CD's with stereo mixes (and I have that one). I was mainly referring to there not being a stereo mix "back in the day", but that one is I think actually a vintage mix, not a later re-mix, just not released at the time.

25. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

I always thought "Breakaway" was the last Capitol single, and it was a stereo 45.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.