Stereo non-compilation albums with mono/fake stereo tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I think this one came out after the "Add Some Music..." single on Brother/Reprise, so it is a bit confusing. I guess they owed one more to Capitol.
    While "Breakaway"/"Celebrate The News", and also the B-side to this one, "The Nearest Faraway Place", were all stereo, "Cottonfields" was mono.

2. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

The Who's "The Who Sings My Generation" had an original CD pressing that was fake stereo, not sure about the vinyl....later pressings were mono.

sean4554 likes this.
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

"O My Soul," the opening track of Big Star's Radio City, is mono. And according to Wikipedia, no stereo mix has ever been released.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The thread is about stereo albums that have a mono/fake stereo track or two, not albums that are entirely fake stereo.

5. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Sorry- I'd delete my post, but it's there for posterity now... :hide:

lukpac likes this.
  6. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

IIRC there's a fake stereo track on the otherwise stereo I Can't Stand Myself album by James Brown.

7. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

Beach Boys..."Why Do Fools Fall In Love" is either mono or fake stereo while the remained of Shut Down Vol. 2 is in stereo....well, except for the special case of "Denny's Drums"

Dusty Springfield's first 2 U.S. albums have several fake stereo tracks while the rest of the albums are in true stereo.

Ride Cowboy Ride on Bon Jovi's "New Jersey" album.....but it was purposely mixed to sound like it's from an old shellac 78 so I don't know if that would count.

"Going In Circles" from Three Dog Night's "Seven Separate Fools" album is in straight down the middle mono while the rest of the album is in fairly wide stereo.

8. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

"Living With A Jones" from former Three Dog Night vocalist, Chuck Negron's album "The Long Road Back" is in mono along with a couple of other tracks on the album...but it seems to have been an error in mastering because it sounds very much like a fold-down.

Although I can't think of the song title I know for a fact there's one track on Deep Purple's 1998 "Abandon" album that is in mono and I did read somewhere on a Deep Purple site that it was indeed an error in mastering.

9. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Monkees - "Listen To The Band" (The Monkees Present)

Monkees - "99 Pounds" (Changes)

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Temptations album All Directions (the album with "Papa Was A Rolling Stone") starts with a live or pseudo-live track in fake stereo.

11. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I have a stereo copy of Brook Benton's first album on Mercury, It's Just a Matter of Time, and the hit title song is either fake stereo or mono. The rest of the album is in 1959-vintage true stereo.

12. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

This is the opposite, but I have a Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" LP that has a fake stereo "Wouldn't It Be Nice", while the rest of the album is in mono (the album cover touts the album as being "stereophonic").

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Tim,

"Hurtin' Inside" is also rechanneled Stereo too. But good news. Play the left channel only by itself. You get true mono. The Right channel is heavily treated with artificial reverberation delayed from the left channel which is unaltered.

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That album you have was actually cut from the true master tape (except for #1).

Drifter likes this.
  15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Isn't O My Soul mono on Radio City??

16. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Manfred Mann - "Mighty Garvey" has the hits "Mighty Quinn" and "Ha Ha said the Clown" in fake stereo, while the rest is true stereo

Shocking Blue - "At Home" is full stereo except for the singles "Long and lonesome Road" and "Venus" in mono

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.