The Seekers 1964 -- I'll Never Find Another You*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dgsinner, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member Thread Starter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfLstywUh90&feature=related

I've been so mesmerized by this I've watched it probably 6 times in a row. Judith Durham in her day ... I can't take my eyes off of her. Such a sweet voice...and I was so struck with her look I grabbed it for my new avatar.

Dale

zotz, hugh . g., Bingo Bongo and 3 others like this.
  2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

It's all good - song - group - girl. Thanks!

hugh . g. and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

It's such a great song...wonderfully performed. There's a sincerity about it that's very appealing.

Several months ago, for reasons I can't now remember, I looked this song up on YouTube, and I had the same experience you did, Dale.

I must have looked at five different versions of it...all of them live. A real tribute to the professionalism of The Seekers that they could pull it off with just acoustic guitars and a stand-up bass (even at the usually raucous NME show!) and sound so damn good.

I even found a couple versions from Seekers reunion shows of the 90s, and they still sounded good!

SandAndGlass and Rickchick like this.
  4. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

It must be the hands on the hips:love:

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just wonderful...one of the great melodic songs of the 60's...

6. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

There are an amazing amount of Live Seekers performances on YouTube. Even the ones from their '93 go-round are very good.

7. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

If they were singing live in the YouTube clip from where was the percussion originating?

8. dgsinner

I wondered that myself. Don't think it's actually live but that guitarist on the 12-string got himself in sync pretty nicely on the break.

Dale

9. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Definitely mimed. The vocals are too perfect and isn't that the "play" button the engineer presses at the start!

Great clip though.

10. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

The song was written by Tom Springfield, Dusty's brother, who produced and also wrote or co-wrote many of the Seeker's hits:

I'll Never Find Another You
    A World of Our Own
    Carnival is Over
    Georgy Girl

11. raunchy

raunchy New Member

also the VU meters aint doin nothing!

12. dgsinner

13. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I didn't follow that particular link, but as another poster notes, there are quite a few clips on YouTube of "I'll Never Find Another You" that are indeed performed live.

Put NME in the search box along with Seekers and you'll get one...there are others as well.

14. dgsinner

Hey, did "I'll Never Find Another You" appear anywhere in true stereo? Seems like I had a volume of the Rhino History of the British Invasion series that had this in stereo...Does anyone know?

Dale

15. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

According to what I've read on Both Sides Now, the song was recorded in stereo but only the mono tape has been used for release.

16. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I wasn't around when this song hit but I love it just the same. Those haromonies and twelve string guitars help to put a a great song over the top.

17. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I love The Seekers. Judith Durham had (and still does) an incredible voice. Managed to buy a more or less complete collection of original UK 45s and lps on eBay a few years back. Those blue and black Columbia lps sound fabulous. Really miss seeing those clips - YouTube has been blocked at work, the swines!!.

Rickchick likes this.
  18. dgsinner

Yeah, but I'd be willing to bet that Rhino comp I had used a stereo master. I've been aware of the song for decades, but it seems that when I had that comp in the 80s or 90s, I really took notice on that one--first time I'd heard it in stereo. I could be wrong, but...

Dale

19. Michael

IIRC, it was never release in Stereo on a legal CD...

20. dgsinner

I had the Rhino History of The British Invasion Volume 3 (just googled it for the track list) on vinyl. I started a thread to ask if anyone still has it. I could swear it was stereo on that...especially since I've always despised fake stereo...and I know lots of Seekers tracks emerged in fake echoe-y stereo...

Dale

PS: Joe Koz has just confirmed it has mono. Damn. SH Forums is a great place, though, isn't it? Just saved me from forking out inflated $$$$ to pick Vol. 3 again to find out it's the exact same mono as on my UK Columbia/EMI vinyl...

Rickchick likes this.
  21. Michael

it always pays to ask!

nothing worse than wasting money on something you already have...hoping for a miracle.:D

22. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

If the song were ever released in stereo, anywhere, the folks at Both Sides Now would know about it!

23. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

What I love about that song is the way she sings the last "but if would lose your love dear, I don't know what I'd do" at the end. That little twist brings it home! (Now you got me watching YouTube all night!)

Dexter

24. Michael

or make one of their own!:D

25. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

This old thread had expired a few years ago, but I want to say I remember a "stereo" "I'll Never Find Another You" as well. Listened to fifteen years ago on CD.

The Seekers 1964 -- I'll Never Find Another You from YouTube

Oddly enough, I cannot find any stereo version out there today. However, I remember buying their Greatest Hits on iTunes in stereo. If I go back to that album on iTunes today, it sounds like the right channel is completely phased out and totally unlistenable.

It's very odd, not sure if copyright issues come into play as I have seen iTunes change versions before such as on Bread's "It Don't Matter To Me".

Does anyone remember a stereo I'll Never Find Another You? If it exists out there anywhere? Perhaps I was listening to Duphonic, very hard to find.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.