Stereo Traneing In and Soultrane?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KipB, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KipB

KipB Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just got a two lp set titled Coltrane issued by Prestige in the 1970s (PR 24003). LP one is Traneing In and LP two is Soultrane. The dead wax is stamped VANGELDER.

It was my understanding that both of these albums were only recorded in mono, but both LPs are clearly marked Stereo.

I have not played it yet, but I am betting that Rudy would not have been willing to ``electronically rechannel’’ to create fake stereo knowing how he feels about mono.

Does anyone know about this?

2. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

I don't have that album, but I do have the Mingus twofer from the same series, Mingus PR 24010, which contains the albums Chazz and Mingus Quartet Plus Max Roach. It says nothing about stereo on the jacket but the discs are labeled stereo. They are mono.

Starting around 1967 Prestige re-released a number single LPs by Coltrane and others with new covers that have this printed along the top front of the jacket: "( This Album Has Been ELECTRONICALLY REMASTERED for STEREO ). " The jacket of my Soultrane PR 7531 is an example. It also has stereo labels on both sides of the jacket as well as on the record itself. It is mono.

I have seen other Coltrane reissues from this series that are the same. The records are mono, mastered by Van Gelder on thick vinyl with dark violet labels and sound quite good. I even like the color covers better than some of the originals. I wouldn't mind having more of this series or the twofers.

3. KipB

Well that is great news ... thanks for posting.

4. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I do have the RvG remasterings on CD of the two abums and like them a lot. Red raand is my favorite Blue Note piano man from he50ies anyway . Asfar as I understand RvG ws aware of the shortcomings in Monophonie, so he reorded with 2 microfons at the same time and often cit the resulting "stereo" image on a tird reel from which the master was drawn. Oersimplified of course.
    This helped creating that special musicians in your room Blue Note sound audiophiles crave for.The downside to this technique in the Stereo Remastering process is that once you have a solo this comes clearly audible directly from one speaker, i.e Coltrane's saxophone or Grant Green's guitar come from the left speaker while the drum solo comes from the right speaker. Then the other speaker remains silent ! If the bass or a piano is also audible, yet they seem to come from the "middle" of the soundstage or at least a bit left or right from the center i think this was the early RvG Mono to Stereo modus operandi...
    HTH
    It sounds good anyway and even with Steve's and Kevin Gray's remasters this special effect stays alive !

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Sorry, maybe I missed something, but who is "Red raand"?

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have the Thelonious Monk and Modern Jazz Quartet twofers from that series, same thing.

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I guess you mean Red Garland, but he never recorded for Blue Note. In the 1950s he made recordings for Prestige and Prestige subsidiary Moodsville. In the early 1960s he also recorded for Riverside subsidiary Jazzland.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

This thread is confusing me. Traneing In and Soultrane are MONO recordings...

David del Toro likes this.
  9. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I have your DCC Traneing in CD, Steve. It sounds wonderful. Thank you.:righton:

10. KipB

I gave Traneing In (from the "Coltrane" 2-lp set issued by Prestige in the 1970s -- PR 24003) a full listen this morning ... now that is the way to start a Friday!

It sounds great and is in mono (not stereo as the lp indicates). Thanks to all who posted about this.

11. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Kip,

The Prestige 24000 series and Milestone 47000 series of 2LP reissues are one of the best bargains in jazz out there. Good, all-analog mastering on quiet vinyl. They're also usually NM.

That's how I listen to Miles Workin' & Steamin', Poopin', ...etc. :)

12. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Think I'll go play Traneing In now...(from the 2LP set you mention...) :thumbsup:

13. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Hey! And it's got A.T. too! :edthumbs:

14. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I musta missed that one. :shrug: :laugh:

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

16. marka

marka Forum Resident

I really have to say - I love your recent practice of re-opening these little gem threads. They’ve been great reads - all of them. And I never would have seen them otherwise.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No it's bad news if you wanted stereo.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Steve if not a big fan of these sets, VG in deadwax or not. I bought up all the Mingus and Dolpy Milestone doubles because it was the only way to get low cost still sealed or mint WLP vinyl earlier than OJC pressings. And older to me meant fresher tapes less effected by the hands of time.

19. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Just found this thread reopened (thanks @Steve Hoffman).

I posted this on a dedicated thread, but might as well try my luck here since it does make more sense. I have a Coltrane's "More Lasting Than Bronze" twofer from the 70s and my copy is really really noisy even though the record is pristine visually.

Given the oil crisis in the 70s and the way it affected vinyl, I'm not sure if this is an issue that plagues all copies or if I should just go and buy a second one. Could anyone who has it tell me how their copy is regarding surface noise? I just don't want to spend more on something that isn't fixable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.