Stereo Upgrade Recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Zoot45, Sep 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoot45

Zoot45 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I know there are a bunch of posts on this topic but I figured everyone's equipment is different and therefore there are different recommendations. Currently looking for the next upgrade for my stereo. Not sure if maybe a phono preamp may be next or speakers?

Current System
    - Clearaudio Concept with Clearaudio performer cartridge
    - HH Scott 299C tube stereo (currently using built in phono stage)
    - JBL LX55 speakers on stands I built

My room is 12 x 18 with about 10 feet between me and the speakers. Speakers would need to be rather close to the wall if that is the next upgrade. Not sure how the HH Scott phono stage is compared to a stand alone unit.

Any recommendations would be great.

2. Helom

Helom Forum member

It appears you have a respectable system as is, assuming the built-in phono stage is a good one.

If your speakers are close to the wall, moving them out a couple feet could possibly yield a big improvement. How far do you sit from them?

What's your upgrade budget?

Paully likes this.
  3. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

Look into acoustic treatment of the room.

Paully likes this.
  4. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

I hope that didn't come across as too short: doing some basic stuff like addressing first reflections can make a huge difference in the sound for very little money or effort. Google will turn up lots of ideas and info.
    Other than that you might think about adding a sub with those speakers depending on your tastes. From the specs they might benefit from a little help but again, acoustics come into play.

5. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

The speakers and turntable are fine...but: a 17wpc amp reliant-upon switch contacts from 1962 and damping factor specs intended for the characteristics of when speakers had much more bass distortion...might be putting a veil over the sound and making speakers 20+ years *newer* seem restrained.
    Also, have all the cruddy ceramic-cap coupling capacitors ever been replaced with polypropylene metal film-types(?) --- which would, certainly, improve the sonic details of the amp and bring it into the 21st century.

Wes_in_va likes this.
  6. Zoot45

Thanks for the replies. The Scott has been serviced and recapped. I currently sit about 10 feet from the speakers. They are about 6-8 feet apart from each other.

Right now I think the system sounds great but wasn't sure if I could get some more from a new phono stage or speakers. I recently listened to the Vandersteen 1C and thought they sounded awesome. Hard to know how they would sound with my system in my room though.

I am thinking a budget of about $1000ish for speakers. Maybe a little less on a phono stage unless I really would hear a huge difference.

7. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

If it were me, I'd replace those speakers before anything else. Get something high efficiency to leverage that Scott.

Helom and Paully like this.
  8. Zoot45

Any speaker recommendations. I would say $1500 for a pair would be my max.

9. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Nothing specific but I'd look into Klipsch, Omega, Cornscala, Pi, Decware, Tekton, maybe Snell or Audio Note. I'm thinking used with some new options. I'd definitely stay at 90db sensitivity and up in your search. 17wpc might be too much to ask of the Vandersteens at 10 feet, but it could work.

Try Audio Asylum and Audiocircle classified, and the ones here. See what's for sale near you and bring your amp to audition.

Omega and Tekton have things in your budget new, but you'd still want to hear them first.

10. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Balthazar, Mercutio here, how much leverage is he going to pull out of that 32 watt vintage piece

Balthazar likes this.
  11. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

$1500 buys a lot in speakers, imho. Could get a very nice pair of Altecs for that money. Maybe Model 19's if you searched hard enough or a pair of Valencias. And Klipsch is another option like some Cornwalls or Chorus II's. But honestly, at 17wpc you have a lot of options, tons really.

12. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

:laugh:

Leverage? I don't understand your question.

13. Litejazz53

I am simply saying no matter what he does, he is not going to get much satisfying "juice' to those speakers with a 32 watt vintage component.

Your statement was: "If it were me, I'd replace those speakers before anything else. Get something high efficiency to leverage that Scott".

14. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Got it! I wasn't sure what you meant by "pulling leverage" out of his amp. In any event, I disagree. There are plenty of people with 92+db speakers getting plenty of juice out of similarly specified amps, including Zoot45 with his JBLs. He has a $1500 budget, a sweet turnable and a recently serviced and recapped classic. His system is begging for new speakers. Whether it's 31wpc or 28wpc, he might even consider the Vandersteen 1Cs. I used mine with 49 watts and was thrilled. I guess he could split the budget between amp and speakers but I wouldn't. Those HH Scotts are nice.

I never heard the JBL LX55s he has and maybe they're fine, bit something like Cornwalls would be pretty appealing to me with that size room. I also hear great things about Omega and Tekton, and I bet there are other owners in NJ who would be willing to let him come by for a listen if he asked on Audiocircle on an owner's forum.

beowulf likes this.
  15. Litejazz53

You make very good points and I'm not nearly as well versed as you are in low power amplifiers, I think of more powerful amplifiers capable of some reserve power, but much of the tube equipment depends on extremely efficient loudspeakers, something I really have not been involved with.

16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

What is it that you don't like in your system that you're looking to change?

17. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I'm actually not all that well versed in low power amplifiers. :laugh: Of the three speakers in my house, all are medium sensitivity, and I tend to prefer reserve power, so they're all 100+ watts. I tend to determine the loudspeaker first and choose an amplifier to suit, probably because I've had a harder time finding speakers that I like than an amplifier that'll work. Also, I'd much rather sell and ship an amp than speakers. From that perspective, I guess I wouldn't let a low power amp be the limiting factor in my speaker selection. But, I can easily see making an effort to make it work if at all possible. There's certainly no shortage of high sensitivity options these days!

18. Zoot45

Hey guys, just to clarify the 299c has 31wpc not 17. I know that is not huge but it seems to drive the JBLs I have just fine. Per the Vandersteen website the 1Ci can handle between 20-100 WPC.

19. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Any speaker that can handle 100 watts can also handle 20, or 10 or less. Usually at the lower end there just isn't enough power to make them come alive. Something like the Klipsch speakers mentioned, at 101 db/watt will play plenty loud with only a couple watts. For a time I drove Klipsch Cornwalls with a 2 WPC 45SET amp. For something like jazz that was plenty of power but for rock not really. The Fisher 400 that replaced it would rattle the walls with 28 watts and in fact I rarely turned the volume much past 10 o'clock.

20. Zoot45

Thanks everyone. Sounds like speakers are the way to go. I am new to forums so forgive me if I am incorrect but I don't think I can change the title for this post. Going to start a new post specially for recommendations for speakers to pair with my 299C. I looked at the Cornwalls but they look a little too expensive.

21. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I don't think I'd drop what new ones cost but used they can be a great deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.