Stereolab - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, Oct 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

I've only heard a few songs by them but I really liked what I heard - their stuff is very unique and interesting. I'd like some recommendations - what are their essential CDs or a good starting point?

2. audio

audio New Member

I would recommend "Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements" and "Emperor Tomato Ketchup". I think those are their strongest moments from what I have heard.

3. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

I second Emperor Tomato Ketchup (I have to 2lp gold glitter vinyl) and also Mars Audiac Quintet
    Both are excellent.
    Aaron

4. npc145

npc145 music junkie

I'm with prix and Aaron on "Emperor Tomato Ketchup", I also recommend "Dots and Loops"

neil

5. shakti

shakti Senior Member

I'm not going to be more original than to suggest Emperor Tomato Ketchup....but that's only because it's a terrific album! You can't go wrong with that one.

6. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I'll throw another vote at Transient Random-Noise Bursts, which to these ears is what classic Stereolab always sounds like. Emperor Tomato Ketchup and Mars Audiac Quintet are both good and more infused with pop melodies, so if you're uncertain, perhaps those are best, but if you're REALLY curious, go with Transient and if you like that, try Switched On, a great collection of early singles from the lab.

Enjoy!

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

7. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks! There is nothing better than being turned on to great music you've never heard before, so now I'm off to explore...

8. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

I always say that Stereolab has just been getting better as they go along. If you can find a copy of an EP they did called "Fluorescences" or something (I don't have my copy out right now.) that's a favorite. I have to admit I don't understand why Emperor Tomato Ketchup gets singled out so often, but it's good and a lot of people latch on to it so there must be a reason.

9. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

I only have a tape of "Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements". Sounds good.

Edit: Paul, I just dug out the tape and I'm listening to it. GET THIS RECORD. NOW. It'll blow your socks off right from the start. It's all full of warm-and-fuzzy Farfisas, trashy old guitars, cheap-ish drumming and Laetitia Sadier's sexy French vocals floatnig on top.. more like smothering the mix at times. Pop this one into your rig, give the volume knob a good nudge and push play.. listen to songs 1, 3 and 4 and you'll be an instant convert. I'll start looking for the CD of this one, oh yes sir.

10. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I think the recommendations so far have been very good ones, but I'd like to put in a word for the collection, Aluminum Songs. It's a collection of B sides and rarities that really shows of the full range of the band's interests and accomplishments: from buzzing drones to space age bachelor pad music. An amazing collection that captures the them at a key moment in their development. It was my first exposure, and it still remains my favorite, indicating both where the band had been and where they were going. It's also got a cool cardboard package.

L.

11. davef

davef Senior Member

IMO Stereolab has gotten to be a little more "conventional" as of late. Transient Bursts is more experimental, so it may depend your personal tastes for somewhat avant-garde music.

Aluminum Tunes is a good collection. Personally, I don't like the packaging at all as it does not fit in my racks and the discs slip out continually, but it was the first chance for most of us to own a wonderful EP called "Music for the Amorphous Body Study Center"... Emporer is very good, and I've always had a good feeling about Mars Audiac Quintet...

... then again, I like them all, and this is definitely not a band that sounds the same all the time... enjoy!

12. weremichael

weremichael New Member

I personally like refried electroplasm (although that was the first experience I had with stereolab). All the other albums mentioned are great too though. I just find the pacing on electroplasm great for a "best of/b side" album.

If you're getting into them you should check out their collaborations with other artists. I really like Laetitia Sadier's collaborations with other groups i.e. Common on Electric Circus, Microstoria and Brokeback.

I tend to agree with davef about the directions stereolab has taken.

Michael

13. davef

davef Senior Member

Also - if you like Stereolab, you may well like some CD's by two of the artists they collaborate with:

Tortoise - instrumental, to me ambient, yet with some funk.
    The High Llamas (Sean O'Hagen) - they tend to sound a LOT like Smile era Beach Boys with lots of layered keyboards. O'Hagen is not as good a singer as Leticia Sadier IMO, but love the swirling sounds.

All of this would sound really good in 5.1 - any chance?

14. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

I have their French Disko/Jenny Ondioline CD ep on Duophonic records. Purchased in the UK in January 1994. It has a green and white cover.

Musically, it is a thing of great beauty IMHO..buy it if you can!!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.