Stereolab - Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WalterDigsTunes, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I haven't listened to this - but love the band and have met Laetitia - and this description makes me wanna listen!!

2. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

I regard Sound Dust and Margerine Eclipse highly too. Probably not on a par with Dots & Loops, but well worth grabbing if you get the chance. The original Duophonic of Sound Dust sounds particularly nice.

Jet Age Eric and Neonbeam like this.
  3. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

My first Stereolab album was Transient Random-Noise Bursts with Announcements, so I can pretentiously show off that I was listening to them before they were popular. Call me a hipster. :p

Cobra and Phases always seemed a bit over the top in comparison to Stereolab's other albums. Emperor Tomato Ketchup is probably my go-to Stereolab album: It is as quirky and discursive as any other while also remaining very musical. Mars Audiac Quintet is probably second for me, but trying to rank Stereolab albums is a task similar to lining up and ranking puppies: It never stays still and a good one always gets left out.

I was fortunate to see Stereolab play live. I think it was either the Cobra and Phases or the Sound-Dust era tour. I was surprised to find them highly engaging and completely charming and unpretentious. Lætetia was by no means the central focus: In fact, Mary Hansen seemed to be one of the strongest members along with Tim Gane.

Stereolab was lumped into many categories and consistently failed to fully align with any one particular genre. They were truly genre independent for most of their output. My impression is that members had musical ideas that they wanted to explore. Period. When Stereolab come up in music discussions, I suggest sampling a bit from their earlier, middle, and late works to find some albums that the individual listener likes. There should be something in there for everyone.

4. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Genre independent indeed! I love a lot of the early motorik sound but the later Cobra and Margerine Eclipse material hits me equally, just in a different way. Big fan of almost all Stereolab material here, though I can obviously find some tunes that miss the mark

Bleu Noir, team2 and Jet Age Eric like this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Apparently the 1972 vinyl reissue doesn't have the 17 minute "Blue Milk" version. Makes sense since it wasn't taken from Tim Gane's original masters. Really can't wait to spin this....

Halfwit likes this.
  6. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

I remember hearing Peng! in Vinyl Ink, then-home to Slumberland Records. Mind. BLOWN. :) -E

beccabear67 and Summerisle like this.
  7. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

Me too. I've been obsessed with this song. This LP and Dot and Loops are really the peak for me.

frightwigwam, team2 and GordonM like this.
  8. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Love that final song, Come and Play ...

GordonM likes this.
  9. Neonbeam

10. Neonbeam

Listened to this album for the first time since 1999 and the first time ever from vinyl and it's surprisingly good. Even the 17 minutes of "Blue Milk":evil:

In a way it reminds me of Sonic Youth's "Washing Machine", coming after some more accessible albums suddenly a record where the band simply sounds like themselves honing their sound instead of dramatically evolving it. That said "Cobra & Phases" doesn't seem uninspired or like a retreat at all, maybe it's a cross between "Mars Audiac Quintet" and "Dots & Loops". It's certainly no lazy rehash. But the changes are definitely more subtle. And it's easily their longest album - at least up to that point - with the vinyl version clocking in at 80+ minutes.

I'm definitely interested in hearing more late period Stereolab albums but.... what's up with "Margerine Eclipse"? How is that such an expensive album now? But I'm in no hurry, I'll pick these up as I find them. Like "Cobra & Phases":righton:

11. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Yes - I agree with Cobra being in the vein of Washing Machine, I love both!
    You should hear Margerine Eclipse, one of my favorites. Some of the cost might be due to its uniqueness, each song is recorded twice, one version on the left and one on the right. I may be oversimplifying, and I'm sure others here could explain in better detail. Anyway, it contains two brilliant tracks "... sudden stars" ans "Cosmic Country Noir" plus many other fine ones like "Margerine Melodie".

Neonbeam and GordonM like this.
  12. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

You should also seek out The First of the Microbe Hunters. I personally enjoy this one and rate it fairly high in the Stereolab catalogue. It has a fun vibe and has no fluff or otherwise sub par tracks IMO. It was also available as a double 12" 45rpm.

I have no explanation as to the cost of Margerine Eclipse these days other than relative rarity if you are referring to vinyl issues. I also enjoy this one which pairs nicely with Fab Four Suture (double 10" 33.3rpm).

A very late highlight for me is a kraut/metonomic Silver Sands on Not Music which I enjoy in the same way I do the epic Les Yper Yper Sound from the Cybele's Reverie EP.

I have not heard it described as this before. I read that it is recorded dual mono with everything panned left or right which I don't think is what you describe. However, I agree it is a enjoyable listen.

team2 and Echoes Myron like this.
  13. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I hadn't noticed but Margerine Eclipse in dual mono is being discussed here: Dual-Mono

I should also have underlined above that I'm no expert in the terminology.

14. Neonbeam

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll see what comes my way, I won't buy at Discogs (etc) even though I'd love to proceed chronologically. For these later albums I'd also be okay with (Gane sanctioned) vinyl reissues.

GordonM likes this.
  15. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I don't know the correct description for ME, really, but on listening you can hear distinct drum tracks, distinct vocals etc., one set coming from left one coming from right

Bleu Noir and GordonM like this.
  16. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I think 'Dots & Loops' was the groop's high point for me, but I was not at all disappointed in 'Cobra And Phases Group Play' either, especially if you add the four tracks on their own UHF label 'The Free Design'. There are some absolute top-drawer works on these! I can't imagine being without them. It helps if you are into esoteric past pop music and vintage syths I suppose though... I've learned so much from following Stereolab, they are wonderful artists!

On 'Cobra And Phases Group Play' every other track is real genius for the first half: People Do It All the Time, Blips, Drips and Strips, Infinity Girl, and Op Hop Detonation are 10/10 for me. And so is Strobo Acceleration! From the UHF 4 track companion Escape Pod (From The World Of Medical Observations), With Friends Like These, and Les Aimies Des Memes are also 10/10, so that's eight must-have pieces of Lab.

[​IMG]

team2, Neonbeam and Echoes Myron like this.
  17. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I love Infinty Girl and Op Hop, but also Come and Play ... prob my top 3 on this release

team2 and beccabear67 like this.
  18. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

That's one heck of a lineup, let alone for £100!

That's more or less where I'm at too. Dots and Loops is one of my all-time favorite albums, and one I loved from the moment I got it. I ordered Cobra as soon as it came out and was very disappointed by it at the time.

Nowadays it doesn't seem like quite as much of a step down. And I'm glad to have an album with so much Mary on it, especially in light of her untimely death. But other than "Op Hop Detonation", which is pretty good, most of the songs just don't resonate with me, nor do they seem nearly as inspired and carefully crafted as those on Dots and Loops. As a friend of mine once said, Dots and Loops is above all a fun album (Marxist sermons notwithstanding), and that spirit just seems absent from Cobra.

19. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I would suggest beyond Op Hop, which I love, listen to the last track plus also Puncture In The Radax Permutation and Infinity Girl

20. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

It’s funny seeing this thread pop up just as I’m looking for a vinyl copy of the album. If any band is overdue for a quality, comprehensive vinyl reissue campaign, it’s Stereolab.

21. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Yes for sure, and am glad to see the flame carrying on here. In my opinion not Stereolab’s absolute top album, but that is for another thread :cool:

jason202 likes this.
  22. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

how about right now? I have Sound-Dust at #1 and Dots and Loops at #2. Aluminum Tunes is an amazing collection as well.

23. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

'Band members have resisted attempts to link the group and its music to Marxism. In a 1999 interview, Gane stated that "none of us are Marxists ... I've never even read Marx." Gane said that although Sadier's lyrics touch on political topics, they do not cross the line into "sloganeering". Sadier also said that she had read very little Marx.'

24. Neonbeam

Very good description! I guess the reason for that is that "Dots & Loops" marks the point where Stereolab had pretty much fully evolved. Now.... where do you go from there? You either change your sound completely or you work on making it more subtle. And since a drum and bass or triphop album wasn't on the cards are certain routine set in.

I guess I need to check out some contemporary interviews to see what the band said about "Cobra" in 1999. But I remember that they suddenly weren't top drawer in the German music press anymore.

25. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

With a band with such an extensive, quality and varied catalogue and which probably divides opinions - why does that thread not already exist?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.