Stereophile and related sites Sold: Layoffs have begun.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh358

Josh358 Active Member

That, and make frank, straightforward comparisons and editor's choice lists in which there weren't 50 of the best of everything.

As soundQman said, they may have published irregularly, but each issue was a treat to be devoured.

Not that they aren't still of interest, but I agree that accepting ads was a mistake.

H8SLKC likes this.
  2. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Understand that Jana is now contracting. So no longer a permanent employee, but at least has something whilst looking for another gig.

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

something is really goofy with their digital subscription service- possibly to the publication's detriment. i ordered a 1-year digital subscription (online obviously) and after they took my payment I was not able to access any issues- no account, no logon or password, nothing. the confirmation e-mail had a link that should have taken me to my first issue- but the link went nowhere.
    so basically an online subscription with no account info, no access to any issues and I have to wait for it to be "processed"? i did e-mail customer service and no response yet. very clunky and unprofessional for this day and age.

4. scottpaul_iu

scottpaul_iu Forum Resident

I just get the issues digitally through Apple’s Stereophile app. No problems.

5. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Aging white men have all the money (for now)........ :D

6. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I'm not sure. The kitten academy featured occasionally in our "Nothing But Felines" thread has 223,589 youtube subscribers......... :hide:

7. Dax_Frost

Dax_Frost A Visual Loop

I've heard that Jana is the new editor of AudioStream.

Stone Turntable and Bubbamike like this.
  8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Better rates through the ZINIO app.

9. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I'm surprised Stereophile has survived as long as it has.I wouldn't think there are that many audiophiles than can afford the gear in that mag.I subscribed for a couple of years but found I couldn't relate to that level of audio.Same thing happened with Hot Rod magazine.The builds were getting so technical and expensive I could no longer relate.Didn't renew either a number of years ago.

Gumboo likes this.
  10. ronm

ronm audiofreak

That's basically giving you the mag and going in the hole with the postage.

11. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Confirmed.

Dax_Frost likes this.
  12. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

13. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

And the ones who can probably work too many hours to be able to actually listen to music!

Sneaky Pete and ronm like this.
  14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yup, that's the way i see it too. Oh well, everything changes and rarely for the better. :cry:

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

So happy to see Jana land at AudioStream. She seemed in good spirits at Axpona.

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

What kind of stereo system does Jana have? How will she review gear?

I also hope Jana will continue things like Audiostream's download of the week recommendations. I find things like download of the week to be helpful in finding and exploring new music.

18. I suspect she is/has been, going through a steep learning curve. I for one am cheering her on!

Manimal and Metralla like this.
  19. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Welcome to my world.

Manimal likes this.
  20. Ham Sandwich

Yes a steep learning curve. And the computer audio side of things that AudioStream covers is an additional super steep learning curve. Oh my! :yikes:

I'm a computer geek and audio geek. One of the things I don't want to have to do is explain how to do computer based audio and streaming in detail and have to keep up with how to do all of that with Mac and Windows and Linux and Auralic and Bluesound and Elac and Apple and Google and DLNA and iPhones and Android and Chrome OS and PS Audio bridge and Roon and Roon on a NAS and how to do DSD over streaming and JRiver and iTunes and Audirvana and Tidal and Spotify and all of the other options. And along with all that keep up with the new DACs and streamers and related audiophile oriented digital audio gear. Oh my!

21. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I found the hard way that anytime I try to explain something technical to a member of the family, or to friends, I basically open the door to let them treat me like a customer support center and open the never ending service call.

It happened with the explanation of how to program recording time on VCR, how to connect the TV to a receiver, how to rip a CD and load the MP3 on the player, how to stream a movie from a laptop to the TV and so on. Nowadays I hide my technical expertise, claim that I'm a Mac user if asked a Windows related question or vice versa.

I fully agree that explaining technical issues to an audience that is only interested in getting results fast and easy is pretty much the worst kind of job I can imagine.

22. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

I remember another article posted here a couple of years back: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/gizmodo-wont-post-my-comment-so-im-posting-them-here

Quoting Fremer (but my underlining) '...The reason audiophiles are held in esteem one step lower than pedophiles is because we lay back and take it (bad metaphor in that context but true). We need to fight back every time we read this crapola.'.

When someone is willing to say something like that it’s all you need to know about them as a person. Vile.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Mrtn77, bldg blok, NaturalD and 2 others like this.
  23. Ham Sandwich

We need people in the audiophile community who are willing to engage aggressively like that. Otherwise the fools who know nothing about audio will dominate every discussion in general tech forums when audio quality comes up or audiophile gear comes up. Fremer is good for that. He has the personality and experience and authority to engage aggressively like that. There are a lot of people who only know about audio based on what they've read on the internet. Ha ha! cables are for phools. Ha ha! High-res audio is a joke and only fools would believe it's better than CD, in fact, MP3 is transparent compared to CD so MP3 is just as good as CD and just as good as high-res. Ha ha! Vinyl is all about euphonic distortions. Ha ha! tubes are all about euphonic distortions. Ha ha! a $40 class D amp is better than your $5000 solid state amp and worlds better than your euphonic distortion generating tube amp. Ha ha! the Apple HomePod is audiophile because it measures better than your crummy expensive speakers in an actual room. Ha ha! I'm a tech journalist with no experience in high-end audio but I just watched a 15 minute video about high-res audio and can now tell you all that high-res audio is a joke and you're a fool if you believe high-res is better than MP3.

We need people like Fremer to aggressively counter BS like that.

24. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Fine there might well be a place for aggressive counter-engagement, but there's never a place for sicko analogies like that.

SteveKr, dchang81, bldg blok and 2 others like this.
  25. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

BS is generally best countered with rational argument. "Aggressiveness" à la Fremer (read: obnoxious, hyperbolic, self-righteous) may satisfy some people's taste for rhetorical combat, but it has nothing to do with rational argument.

SteveKr, Mrtn77, dchang81 and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.