Stereophile and related sites Sold: Layoffs have begun.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Maybe it's those kind of comments that drove "Tonepub" away. I remember similar comments when he posted that a new issue was out. I like the magazine, which is FREE. It is somewhat of a lifestyle magazine, not just coving audio, although there are plenty of reviews of music and gear. I don't mind beer discussions and the like mixed in. Reminds me of Cigar Aficionado magazine which I enjoy (and is not free).

googlymoogly and The Beave like this.
  2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

My post wasn’t intended to be critical (though maybe it came across that way), just a comment on my perception of the style.
    I used to go through it monthly and the articles/reviews back then seemed longer and more in depth than what I see now.
    And the free part certainly can’t be quibbled with; all those ads have to be thanked for that.

Edit: a closer look at recent issues reveals links to longer equipment reviews so there appears to a bit more “meat” there than at first glance

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I read through the recent AudioStream updates last night. I liked it, but I’ve always liked reading Rafe’s writings and postings wherever he was, including here. I also thought he handled the transition and questions about Michael Lavorgna’s departure as well as anyone possibly could.

FWIW...I’m an actual $7 a year Stereophile subscriber. I like to have the actual magazine around.

macster and LeeS like this.
  4. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I still can’t believe there are subscriptions available for $7

5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

That has me wondering if I should renew my subscription, just got a renewal letter. Do people really think they are ready to fold?

6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I renewed just after the announcement for 2 years (at a LOT more than $7 per).
    I think we’re OK, in fact I haven’t noticed any changes in the magazine design or content so far

7. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

For what it is worth, my subscription expired months ago and there was a new issue in the mailbox today.

I'll flip through the pages before tossing it in the recycle bin.

8. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

No worries. I guess learned to ignore the ads..

I did enjoy the MoFi turntable review a lot, and that table has been on my list to hear.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I thought the MoFi review was well done. And I don't mind at all Jeff including some non-audio luxury items.

10. ServingTheMusic

have you heard the table? looks nice.

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Yes, on two occasions. I thought it sounded excellent. Allen Perkins is a superb turntable designer.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  12. ServingTheMusic

agree! seems fairly priced too..

HiFi Guy, rednedtugent and LeeS like this.
  13. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Got my Stereophile in the mail today, so I'm happy.
    Who knows how much longer...

14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

On #3, that’s why I read Stereophile via ZINIO but still receive TAS via paper.

LeeS likes this.
  15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Does anyone really think they’re going out? The issues are still quite thick, unless they’re giving ads away at bargain prices as they do with subscriptions

With their sister publication Sound & Vision cutting back from 10 issues per year to 6, you can never be sure, but that magazine has been half as thick as Stereophile for a while now.

16. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Nascimento Brasil likes this.
  17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

It has been getting gradually slimmer as the years go by.

18. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Yeah, I try to do that when the hardware/software permits. Amber on black is even easier on the eyes if you can do it.

On my tablet, Google rolled out an 'invert colors feature as a beta and then withdrew it. It's not as good as what you can accomplish with a theme in MS Windows, though, because it inverts everything such that dark material becomes blinding.

I don't know why this is rocket science. We've known for years that it's a problem, and it shouldn't be hard to address. You can DL filtering apps but they don't do much good really.

[​IMG]

19. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Here's how that post looks on my nighttime setting. Can't do this with Android.

[​IMG]

Apologies for the threadjack.

20. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

As a longtime Stereophile subscriber, I have to say that it's the writers that make the magazine. I read Sam Tellig before he left and now Robert Baird has left as well. They were always (IMHO) a little light in the music review dept but Baird's articles were much appreciated. I'm not that interested in expensive gear but if the article is interesting I take a look. I hope they do a better job soon but I can't say I'm optimistic.

21. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Did Sam Tellig retire? I used to enjoy his articles until I quit Stereophile over ten years ago ...

22. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I believe he and JA had a disagreement over the direction of his column. I don't think he formally retired.

23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

But he also is no longer at Stereophile, is that right?

My TAS is up for subscription renewal but I have not decided if I should continue. I have been retired for the past 5 1/2 years though not formally until last month (when Medicare starts). This audio hobby is no longer as interesting as it was back in the 70's and 80's. I just came across some McIntosh brochure from the early 90's where a 200 watts/ch amp had a MSRP of $3,400. A similar amp is in the $7-8K range today. The price inflation of high-end audio gears is even higher than prescription meds ... :yikes:

timind and apesfan like this.
  24. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

$1 in 1990 is equivalent to $1.94 in 2018. So, the price inflation isn’t as drastic as you make it out to be.

morinix likes this.
  25. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I guess I'm a lucky Stereophile reader in that all the people who have left in the past few years were folks I wasn't especially keen on. I didn't really connect with Tellig's style, and Meijas was...........well anyway, I'm mostly interested in the sort of products Dudley and Reichart write about, so no loss for me.

Blair G., Joe Spivey and Dolemite like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.