Steve - A tube Q for you...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by indy mike, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

I just looked at the thread concerning the Lafayette preamp, and you mentioned it was extremely colored and best suited for a vintage set-up. I'm wondering which vintage tube amps and preamps are the least colored/most colored in yer tubey experience....

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

All vintage tube preamps are colored to some extent; it was done for "flavor". Nothing worse than a dead sounding preamp in those days.

It all depends on the rest of your gear as to what the preamp will do to (or for) your sound.

The Marantz 7 is probably the most neutral tube preamp from the Golden Age. The McIntosh C-22 as well. But if you go this route, get a modern tube preamp that doesn't have all of the endless wires and tone circuits that screw up the sound....

3. rickl

rickl Forum Resident

The Lafayette KT-600 has a 'Presence' selector. After I got it going, I ran a sine wave through it and checked it on a scope. This selection created a 3dB drop between 5k and 10k (and kept dropping after 10k).

After realizing this was on and quickly turned it off, the signal was pretty flat to 55k (almost as good as my McIntosh). New slogan - Presence Bad!

However, looking at the KT-600 schematic and the 23 controls to vary/conture/control the signal, you quickly realize these 'features' will muck with the sound.

rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.