Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited Tour: 2014 leg !!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

http://www.genesis-news.com/c-Steve-Hackett-Genesis-Revisited-2014-tour-dates-s538.html

[​IMG]

In 2013, Steve Hackett played a highly successful tour, performing Genesis classics (check out all dates of the Genesis Revisited tour in 2013 here). In 2014, Steve will play another leg of this tour. This time, Nick Beggs will play bass again!

Further tour dates will be announced soon.

confirmed Line-Up:

Steve Hackett: Guitars, Vocals
    Nad Sylvan: Vocals
    Roger King: Keyboards
    Gary O'Toole: Drums, Vocals
    Nick Beggs: Bass
    Rob Townsend: various instruments

Special guests may also appear during selected shows

2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That's great. Hackett is making a lot of fans of the old stuff happy with these concerts.

3. PC31

PC31 Forum Resident

4. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

Does he hate Los Angeles or something?

ian christopher likes this.
  5. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

Not just LA, but the west coast in general. I think the last time he played in San Francisco was 2005...

Dukes Travels likes this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I loved this show so much I'd certainly see it a second time.

7. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Hackett and his band played here in Finland just a couple days ago. Excellent show!

Dance on a Volcano
    Dancing with the Moonlit Knight
    Squonk
    Fly on a Windshield
    Broadway Melody of 1974
    The Lamia
    The Return of the Giant Hogweed
    The Musical Box
    I Know What I like (in Your Wardrobe)
    Horizons
    Firth of Fifth
    Lilywhite Lilith
    The Knife
    ...in That Quiet Earth
    Afterglow
    Supper's Ready

Watcher of the Skies
    Los Endos

8. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Yes. I'm in Oregon. Was seriously gutted when he didn't play here.
    Gigs like this were a given when I lived across the pond :cry:

9. JACE

JACE Active Member

I saw Hackett here in Atlanta last month. It was a really great show. I expected to enjoy it, but I was happily surprised how good it was.

10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

My wife enjoyed both of his shows on the Cruise To The Edge!

11. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member

Omg....what a great set list.............he was just here in ATL. and I didn't hear about it at all...

12. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Same with New England, but Genesis was never as overly popular in Boston as they were elsewhere.

Jvalvano likes this.
  13. Corey Louis

Corey Louis Active Member

Saw him last month here in DC at the lovely sold out Lincoln Theater, wonderful show, great sound, great band, decent lead singer, can't complain

14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Vancouver show in December just popped up. Super pricey.

Rare West Coast/Northwest appearance by a Genesis member.

15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

$100 is about par for the course these days. You can pay 10-20 times as much for some concert tickets.

16. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

He is playing in Lynn Mass. on November 19. I've never been to Lynn but anyone locally who has, just rolls their eyes that I would even think of venturing to Lynn. I saw him last year in Albany and that a 3+hr drive for me. Driving an hour to Lynn should be easy and I'll take my chances that nothing sinister will happen to see Steve 8th row center in a smallish venue. :cheers:

http://www.lynnauditorium.com

17. SoundAdvice

What has he done since the mid 90's when he last played Vancouver for 1/5th the cost in a venue half the size?

Pollstar says the average ticket price is in the $55 range for all concerts across the board.

I saw Prince in the same venue last year for $100. Hackett wants nearly double what EVERY artist that plays that venue charges.

18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Add me to the list of those who roll their eyes at the idea of going to Lynn. I'm not sure what that hall's capacity is or acoustics are like, but there are so many places in the area that hold 3,000-8,000 that it makes the idea of going there seem ridiculous.

19. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

He is playing a nostalgia show, like most of the acts who are charging $100 or more for a ticket.

What difference does that make? The price has been set, and it is up to the market to determine whether it is right, or not. No one is forcing anyone to attend. Here in the Bay Area his first show sold out almost immediately, and a second date was added, so the ticket price did not dampen demand.

Count yourself lucky, the last few Prince shows (with 3rdEyeGirl) I attended had ticket prices of $250 and $2,500!! All sell outs, BTW!

20. SoundAdvice

How many radio hits is he playing in this nostalgia show? To me it's as absurd as Mick Taylor doing a "Stones" show and asking $100.

Vancouver is $25-47 dollars more per ticket than San Fran and city a fraction the size. I would like the Vancouver show to happen. Working in favour for this show is him being only the 2nd visit by a Genesis member doing a full show to the Northwest in nearly 20 years. Gabriel in 2002 was the last. I think Music Box only visited Seattle only on a single occasion

Prince was 0/4 when it came to "real" sell outs here in Vancouver in April 2013. One of the shows was 40% sold in 900 capacity venue before doing a fire sale. Even after doing 2-for-1 deals, $50 tickets sold by a charity and $5 ticket deal to those that paid full the shows still had tickets at the door. I was there for 3/4 shows.

21. SoundAdvice

Tickets went onsale yesterday morning in Vancouver and I just pulled a front row balcony and 2nd row floor.

Ditto the $160 Meet & Greet packages in the front row.

22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Why is that a factor? He is playing essentially a 1977 Genesis live set with the addition of a few deep cuts from The Lamb, etc. The 3-man Genesis largely abandoned all this material in concert, so for fans of the early band, he is giving them what they want.

23. Karmageddon

Karmageddon The Vinyl Advocate

Well - I hate to say it - but you are incorrect. I work for this venue and have for many years. I worked at all 4 of the shows, and attended one.
    All shows were sold out in the end. End of Story. However, yes there was firesale, at the last minute as Prince himself wanted discounted tickets (with all proceeds going to local charities) with 2 of the remaining shows still having tickets available. After the so-called firesale, we were sold out. We did have tickets at the door for the final 2 shows (with half a dozen opened up by the promoter for the second show) - but as well - the Artists had huge guestlists which initially accounted for the sell outs and when those folks didn't show - their tickets were released for sale. Anything involving the show itself was handled directly by the promoters and Prince himself. It was not handled by a promoter such as LiveNation or even someone like Steve's independent promoter.

Prince wasn't on a tour. He booked our venue after meeting management at SxSW. As well, our capacity that you have listed is also wrong. It is 850 downstairs, with well over 300+ upstairs. The final show was standing room only at the back of the venue (the one I attended.)

The other reason an amazing artist like this can charge that much, is because they can. They are playing the BEST (award winning, 2 years in a row) small venue in all of Canada as voted by our peers at CMW. That is the best staff, the best acoustics, the best sounding room, etc...

Hope that clarifies things from an actual inside source.

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's a nostalgia show, but beautifully done. The "real" Genesis, if they ever reunited to play, would probably not sound near as good...

That said, I'm surprised they're marketing ANOTHER live CD/DVD package from these tours. The previous one is quite good...not sure we need yet another with a similiar setlist.

Jvalvano likes this.
  25. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I saw a show in Belleville, Ontario last year. I think I paid $70-. I left extremely satisfied. Easily worth a $100, in my opinion. Just a great show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.