Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited Tour: 2014 leg !!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Anybody pick up the new Royal Albert Hall 2 CD/1 DVD set? I found it at FYE for $17.99. Great price. Obviously some overlap with Live at Hammersmith (the new set has Giant Hogweed, Ripples and Fountain of Salmacis, all favorites of mine so I don't mind). A few guest singers again (Ray Wilson for one). Personally, I would be fine with the regular singers from Steve's band handling all the leads.

One thing I have to mention....the bass levels on the CDs are THROUGH THE ROOF. I actually had to turn the CD off (right in the middle of Suppers Ready, no less) because the rumble of the bass pedals was enough to break my ear drums. I don't know why they did this. It seems like a mistake. It's very regrettable, as I was very much looking forward to this set. At any rate, the DVD is fine sounding (though the camera angles change a little too often for my liking), so for $17.99 it's still a decent deal.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Amazon had a pre-order price of $14.38. Up to $16.99 there at the moment.

3. Daniel Plainview

Hackett's coming back to Albany! I just saw this show last year but will gladly buy another ticket. I don't care if he plays the exact same set list, this show was spectacular and uplifting! Can't wait to see him again!

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Glad I flew up to Detroit to see this last year (a conveniently timed parental visit) since the odds of him ever bringing this anywhere near Nashville are pretty small. Not sure why I'd need these live albums though, the band was almost absurdly faithful to the originals (and to Hackett's studio re-records). The live experience was great, though.

5. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Can't believe he is going to play in Concord NH, practically in my back yard. I bought tickets to see him in Lynn Mass. a few months back figuring that would be the only Boston area show. Now I'm going to see him twice in one week!

6. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I caught this show in south Florida

Really fabulous - they play deep Hackett / Gabriel Genesis cuts

Faithful and dynamic

7. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

dude it is so not anything like mick taylor doin a stones tribute...steves gonna be shreddin the firth of fifth solo 6 feet in front of me......."check please!"

8. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

You will not be disappointed

Really reinforced my view of his role in Genesis
    The other musicians are first rate
    Faithful but breathable renditions

Shak Cohen and Daniel Plainview like this.
  9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

http://voguetheatre.com/events/event/steve-hackett-genesis-extended-719/
    Vancouver has been on sale for 3-4 weeks and they are still selling row 4.

Not sure I've seen a lick of paid advertising on this one so far, just the venue site. I really want this show to happen so I can actually any Genesis material performed in Western Canada for the first time in 20 years by one of the band members.

10. Daniel Plainview

I paid $48 for one of the best seats in the house. A great deal at a great venue (non-Ticketmaster venue).

I hope Steve realizes he just played here a year ago and checks the previous setlist so he can insert as many different songs into the set as possible. Not that I'd ever complain about such a top notch show, but I'm hoping this time we get Carpet Crawlers and Giant Hogweed. Maybe by November he'll have added a few more songs to the repertoire. "Harold the Barrel" would be the absolute bomb.

11. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

If you are even questioning going to the Hackett show get the new Royal Albert Hall dvd and cd set and have a look

12. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

I got this set too. I ripped the audio from the Blu-ray disk and the bass was just too much! You say the CD's are also too heavy on the bass (I haven't listened to those yet). But the DVD's sound ok?

13. Daniel Plainview

I played the DVD on a plain ol' TV with no special sound setup so I didn't noticed overwhelming bass, but for all I know it was there too.

A real shame that this set was ruined in this manner. Ridiculous bass. Dr. Dre levels of bass! Drive-by shooting levels of bass! This is "Supper's Ready", not "Nuthin But A G Thang"! If I wanted the trunk of my car to shake with vibrations I'd lock a call girl in there. It pains me to be critical of Steve Hackett product, but yowza....what were they thinking?

Timjosephuk and freemanl like this.
  14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The bass only requires about a 3 dB cut to sound marvelous. On first listening I thought it would be more than that.

15. Daniel Plainview

I turned my knob all the way down. It's particularly bad when the bass pedals are used. It's absolutely unbearable.

Maybe the fact that I even have a knob disqualifies my opinion.

16. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

I edited the EQ of Royal Albert Hall using the EQ filter in Audacity this evening. I reduced the bass using a curve that started flat at 100 hz and ramped down to -6 at 60 hz, then back up to -2 db at 0 hz.

Sounds pretty good but may have gone a little too far. I'll probably play with it some more to add a little of the punch back in - maybe the -3 suggested above.

Experiment with it. YMMV. if anyone else tries it, please report you results and settings here!

P.S. They are playing here in Seattle on Dec 10, Moore Theatre

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    Daniel Plainview likes this.
  17. Jontario

Jontario Member

I was planning to purchase the Royal Albert Hall set for the concert DVD, but after reading the comments on the bass heavy mix, perhaps I'm batter off starting with the Hammersmith DVD?

Does everyone agree the audio on the Hammersmith DVD is better than the Royal Albert Hall DVD?

I've also read there is an issue with the Hammersmith DVD freezing up at times during playback.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Hoping to see the show in Toronto, Dec 2.

18. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Haven't yet watched the Hammersmith DVD (i bought Albert Hall first), but IMHO, the renditions on Albert Hall seem more refined. Which i guess would make sense since Albert is the more recent. My own vote is that if you like this music, buy them both. I've put together a mix with songs from both, and when two renditions are available, I just took the one I prefer. Also, try sequencing the songs in the order that they are on the original Genesis studio albums - Many of these live versions are better than studio.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just got tickets to see Steve in Concord, NH on Nov. 16th at the Capital Center for the Arts. The seats were $55 and are in the middle of the floor on right side. I'm taking my 16 year old daughter who is a huge classic rock fan. Is there a set list that for the recent shows? I watched the Hammersmith 1 show and I was very impressed with the song selection and the quality of the music. I hope the show ends with Los Endos which would be fitting end for the show :).

Bill

20. Daniel Plainview

http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/steve-hackett-43d6b3a3.html

This is the setlist I saw last year….

Watcher of the Skies
    Dancing With the Moonlit Knight
    Fly on a Windshield
    Broadway Melody of 1974
    The Lamia
    The Musical Box
    Horizons
    Blood on the Rooftops
    Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers...
    ...In That Quiet Earth
    Afterglow
    The Fountain of Salmacis
    I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
    Dance on a Volcano
    Supper's Ready
    Firth of Fifth
    Los Endos

Couldn’t ask for a more perfect show. I’m actually seeing Steve again next month (at the very same venue no less) so I’m curious as to how he plans on shaking up the setlist.

Bill Mac likes this.
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that information :). When will you be going next month?

Bill

22. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

A couple of his concerts are up on YouTube. Most of the singing is laughable, which is a shame.

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I watched the Hammersmith 1 show and found the vocals to be fine. I wasn't expecting lead singer Nad Sylvan to sound as good as Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins. What were you expecting?

Bill

24. Daniel Plainview

November 23rd.

I think Nad does a fine job. He's just right for the material.

Shak Cohen and Bill Mac like this.
  25. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I guess I was expecting fewer frilly shirts and bowler hats.

LivingForever likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.