Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited Tour: 2014 leg !!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I thought you were judging them by their vocals not their choice in wardrobe.

Bill Mac likes this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Have you ever seen what Peter Gabriel used "wear" back in the day ;)? I could care less what the band members are wearing as long as they sound good :).

Bill

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  3. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I think Nad Sylvan is perfect for the job:righton:

Rodney Toady and tvstrategies like this.
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They don't do a full on Genesis tribute, with Peter's costumes and all that... do they?

5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Demand in SF is so strong that after adding and selling out a second show at The Regency, they have now moved the first show to the larger Warfield (second show is still at The Regency for now).

6. Daniel Plainview

No. Nad is a little theatrical with his presentation but nothing anywhere near the ridiculousness of Peter Gabriel. This show is about the music.

Bill Mac likes this.
  7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I'm not crazy about Nad myself, but the music is flawless. We're talking about the old repertoire expertly performed and with the inimitable sound and feel of Steve Hackett in the mix. I attended the Albert Hall show, and the Hammersmith set has been my most played record this year. I would catch this tour again without hesitation if only I could, even if the whole band wore bowler hats.

Bill Mac likes this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Watching the Hammersmith 1 show I would agree that Nad is a bit theatrical but so aren't many other performers. I agree with you 100% about the show being about the music above all :).

Bill

9. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I'm going to see Steve twice in Novemeber. He's playing at two different venues in the same week less than an hour from where I live. That is pretty rare, since I live relatively rural.

Funny aside: (well maybe)
    I got a general email from Steve's site announcing tour dates and new album a few months back. I replied to it thinking, no way does Steve read these. I even invited him to stay in our private guest suite and show him around the region while he was between the shows. Steve personally replied within an hour and thanked me for the invitation but their time on the road is pretty booked between gigs doing interviews and such. He's a class act all around IMO and I'm happy to support his tour. I'm also looking forward to his new album which I think is slated for a February release. :cheers:

10. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

I used to like genesis, but if i hear one more time musical box or suppers ready - no matter who performs it - i guess i'll thow my hi-fi down on the street

LivingForever likes this.
  11. Daniel Plainview

Blasphemy!

[​IMG]

;)

Bill Mac likes this.
  12. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Is it live, or new studio stuff? Gee, I'd be just as happy with (yes, yet another) live album of Genesis Extended II, especially since they seem to be performing songs not in the two Revisited (London) sets. Maybe from the December Seattle or Vancouver shows, since they seem to be the last ones. (I can wish!)

(PS is you don't like Musical Box, you can always hit 'skip.')

13. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

It's a studio album of new material.

14. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^

Oh wow...I missed his gig here in Atlanta. :( Perhaps I should travel to see him once. Only seen him 1 other time - on the Defector tour in Atlanta in 1981 I believe!

15. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Crazy! I just found out Steve Hackett is touring the states and I grabbed two tickets for his show in Concord, NH. It's funny how you can be a Genesis fanatic, a Steve Hackett fanatic and access to the internet and still not know until the last minute! Oh well, still scored decent seats in the orchestra!

16. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

If you love 70s Genesis, do yourself a favour and catch the show.

17. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Best post ever :)

18. Timjosephuk

I was at the RAH gig, and for me the only downside was that Steve was making up for being mixed down so low on the original records, and was now incredibly LOUD!! A more natural mix would have made the night perfect - apart from the RAH has the most uncomfortable/least legroom seats of any venue around :(

I'm dying to know - what is so awful about and scary about the town of Lynn, MA??

19. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^

I LOVE 70's Genesis and have seen The Musical Box at least 5 times! Stunning it was! David

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You mean Lynn, Lynn, the city of Sin :D. I grew up not far from Lynn and it has a reputation as a tough town. I don't see it that way but there are some areas of Lynn best not visited after dark. No different than many other large cities. It is funny as those that live in Lynn always say they live on the Lynn-Lynnfield, Lynn-Saugus, Lynn-Salem or Lynn-Swampscott line. Many don't want to admit that they just live in Lynn ;).

Bill

Timjosephuk likes this.
  21. Timjosephuk

Thanks Bill :)

Sounds ... erm ... nice

22. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Well I saw him on Tuesday in Ipswich UK on the first night of the current UK tour and he and the band were amazing.

He now has Nick Beggs back on Bass which seems to have kicked the whole thing up a gear (and he is very entertaining to watch for those who don't like Nad!)

If you like this music you should really go any check them out.

23. stanleyb

stanleyb Forum Resident

I was at the Brighton show on Wednesday and fully agree with JamesLord's comments. Nick Beggs was excellent on bass, 12 string and stick and without saying too much about the setlist the most recent songs played were from TOTT which suited me fine.

24. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Hi all. Last night I visited the hackettsongs.com Web site to look at their concert schedule, and for the heck of it, hit the 'Contact' link and emailed them about the bass in Royal Albert Hall. This morning, there was a response in my inbox:

"The Royal Albert Hall release was mixed & mastered by a different person to the Hammersmith set, but no one else has contacted us regarding an issue with too much low end. As I’m sure you appreciate, tying to mix & master a release to sound great on everyone’s individual audio systems is no easy task ... especially when you bring 5.1 into the mix."

So I mailed back with a link to this thread (the thread you're reading now), referring to the "Drive-by shootings levels of bass" comment, and got this back:

"I’ll forward those comments onto Inside Out Steve’s record label."

One can hope!

25. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I got a last minute decent seat in the front row of the second group of seats for Glasgow show tomorrow evening. I'm going to get completely plastered beforehand and expect to have a very good time. I did watch some clips on Youtube and yup, the vocalist does seem incredibly silly beyond what I would normally consider tolerable. I am optimistic that a bunch of booze and a good attitude will make it all funtimez, though.

By the way, do people show up to see Steve dressed up as the cover of Foxtrot etc. like I saw some do the one time I saw The Musical Box? Probably not, but it would be nice if so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.