Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited Tour: 2014 leg !!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Toch each his own but "incredibly silly beyond what I would normally consider tolerable" is a bit offending, don't you think? What do you actually mean by saying that?
    Nevertheless enjoy the show !

2. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Who could honestly be offended by such a remark? Even on this, most touchy of forums, I wouldn't have expected anyone to bat an eyelid.

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Well he did say he was going to get plastered first so maybe he'll enjoy it. ;)

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

For anyone that thinks the vocalist in Steve Hackett's band is "silly" or "over dressed" should check out Peter Gabriel's performance in this video ;).

Bill

5. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I think these (for me and for a reason, see below)) negative sounding attributions have something to do with the gay touch that Nad Sylvan has (be he gay or not).
    When I attended to a concert in Germany my heighbour told me that he had had the chance to personally get to know the band after the last show and that Nad Sylvan was a great performer "but you know - he's not from our world, if you know what I mean". I am a gay man, too but I wasn't in the mood to ask this guy what kind of world he thinks I come from....I just wanted to enjoy the show and not argue with a stupid mind.
    So that's why I'm a bit sensitive to descriptions like "silly";).

bleachershane and rtalwani like this.
  6. Colin Allstations

It has nothing to with sexuality, I just think he's a bit daft. Gabriel was pretty cool despite the antics, I don't rally think there's any comparison. "Silly" is about as inoffensive as it gets. I would even go as far as to call him a silly sausage, though.

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Considering Hackett has all the stage presence of your grandfather after Thanksgiving dinner, the singer didn't bother me at all. At least someone onstage was doing something. I'm sure people questioned Gabriel's orientation in the early 70's as well, just because he was trying to put on a show in his own way. He sounded fine, and that's all that matters, right?

8. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Sylvan's costumes and demeanour were perfectly in tune with the theme of "Genesis revisited". In that respect I thought he was excellent when I saw this show on Friday night.

It may have been the sound system but I was not all that impressed with the vocals though he was "good enough". Competing with Gabriel's shadow is a tough ask.

I didn't like the way he disappeared off the stage whenever there was a break in the singing (or at least that is how it felt). Obviously he needs to do costume changes but it went beyond that. I felt he should be on stage digging the music. However my friend had no problem at all with this so a personal taste thing.

I thought Hackett was a superb low-key band leader; his stage presence is fine by me, though it is a bit odd having the fairly static lead guitarist in the centre and the wild antics of Sylvan on the left. But that is the nature of this particular scenario I guess - former guitarist in famous band presenting old band's entire show.

Tim

9. Colin Allstations

I thought he looked like a massive chocolatey tool, I'm immeasurably sorry if anyone finds that offensive but if you do, then I strongly suggest you grow up and leave the house occasionally - it's a fair criticism for anyone to behold. It's nothing even remotely personal, there is no hate involved, but honestly, if one can't feel free to say they believed that someone from a prog rock act came across like a bit of a ponce, then the world we occupy is borderline mental.

Probably worth your while making the effort to at least get over the fact someone can hold this opinion, as the alternative is utterly pathetic.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  10. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I've only watched the DVD of the Albert Pub performance, but I thought the vocalist did a good job of crooning with the requisite Gabrielesque theatrics.

--Geoff

Terry likes this.
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Anyone who has seen recent dates of the Genesis Revisited Tour do they get on stage close to the indicated start time? I'm going to the Concord, NH show tomorrow night and it indicates that the show starts at 7:30 pm. I have about an hour drive from Maine to Concord and wanted to have an idea on when to get to the show. Is there a backup act or is it just Steve Hackett and the band? Thanks :)!

Bill

12. Huge fan of Hackett's, and I saw the first leg of this tour and enjoyed it somewhat. The singer is objectionable and marred my enjoyment of the show.

13. Joe McKee

Joe McKee Forum Resident

Bill, I saw them Thursday night in ridgefield - they started pretty much on time - maybe 5 minutes late.

Bill Mac likes this.
  14. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I saw the show in LA a year or so ago and enjoyed it very much. Saw the London show a couple of weeks ago and it was much better. Magnificent even. Sylvan does a fine job and the band is totally crackerjack. Nick Beggs is a step up from the previous bass player and even played stick on a couple of tunes, "Fly on a Windshield" being one. Hackett was on fire and his playing was super. The sound at the Hammersmith Apollo or what ever it is they're calling it these days was fantastic... loud and clean no ringing in the ears after. One of the best shows I've been to an a long while. Highly recommended for Genesis fans and for anyone who has an interest in long form progressive rock.

anduandi likes this.
  15. Joe McKee

Joe McKee Forum Resident

From the dvd I was a little put off by Sylvan, but when I saw the show the other night I thought he did an excellent job and when seen with the whole band (rather than some of the close ups on DVD) his performance seemed to fit perfectly.

bleachershane likes this.
  16. Barnabas Collins

[​IMG]
    No opening act. I'll be at the Concord show too.

Did anybody see the cool backstage pic from last night's show? Apparently, Bruce Willis is a Steve Hackett fan!

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Steve,

Thanks for the information :). We're sitting in orchestra right row v seats 2 and 4. I'm taking my 16 year old daughter who is a big Phil Collins and classic rock fan. I wonder if Phil is related to Barnabas ;)? Enjoy the show!

Bill

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Joe,

Thank you :). I'll make sure we are in our seats by 7:30 at the latest.

Bill

19. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I saw this show in Fort Lauderdale on a vacation trip to the Florida Keys

All the things Steve is doing on his guitar who needs histrionics, poses and that cringe face whenever he plays something fast

An incredible show and took away even more how overpowering these songs are and all Steve brought to Genesis

You can say he is dwelling on the past.. go listen to the Beyond the Shrouded Horizon

20. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Going to the Concord show also. Really looking forward to.

21. Barnabas Collins

Great show last night in Concord, NH. I've seen Steve Hackett three or four times and he never disappoints.

Hi Bill, sorry I didn't see your post until this morning! I was in the orchestra right, row J. From my POV, there weren't too many people behind me. Were you able t0 get closer than row V? Most people around me were moving relatively freely because it didn't exactly appear to be a full house in the slightest, unfortunately. Hope you liked the show as much as I did. :)

22. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

23. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I thought the singer, and indeed the whole band did a fine job.
    Like all bands I go to see live, I have no interest in how they look, only how they sound.

Let's face it, were not seeing Genesis in their heyday, it's not Gabriel and they guys with their theatrics and charisma.
    We're seeing one member performing the music with great musicians that he enjoys working with.
    What I got for my ticket was 2 hours and 30 minutes of top musicianship.
    The music was performed tastefully and they gave Steve a great musical canvas to play upon.
    One of the strongest gigs I've attended in recent times. I really hope they come round again.

duneman, Joe McKee and bleachershane like this.
  24. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Saw the Glasgow date and despite thinking I'd struggle with Nad on vocals I actually enjoyed the show quite a lot. Steve is and always has been a rather stoic lead guitarist, but at least he stands up these days! ;-)

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Hi Steve,

Not a problem :). We could have moved up a few rows but my daughter gets nervous when I try to do something that might not be totally on the "up and up". It's always good when I come up with some hair brained ideas and she is the voice of reason :). We both enjoyed the show very much and it's refreshing to see a group go on stage on time. The volume at times was a bit high for these 56 year old ears. But what bothered me the most was how boomy the bass was. The bass at times just overpowered Steve's guitar and Nad Sylvan's vocals. But other than that we enjoyed the show very much :)!

It was unfortunate that the venue wasn't sold out. We grabbed a bite to eat at The Common Man right down the street from the Capital. There were two couples sitting next to our table that were also going to the show. One of them was in radio and he said that he had interviewed Steve last week. He did that as at the time only 400 tickets were sold out of 1200 seats. He thought some airplay on the local radio station would stir up some interest for the show.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.