Steve Hoffman mastered Ventures/Jackie Gleason Christmas albums!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

I gotta tell you I love these two Steve Hoffman mastered, Razor & Tie, Christmas albums:

The Ventures Christmas Album

Jackie Gleason 'Merry Christmas'

If you can find either of the Razor & Tie versions for a price that doesn't send you to the poor house, GRAB THEM!!! They sound fantastic!

What I love about the Ventures album is the way that they start the songs with a hit of the day and then segue seamlessly into the Christmas song. For instance 'She's Not There into What Child Is This, Ventures style. :)

The Jackie Gleason 'Merry Christmas' album is PERFECT for the quiet, wee hours of Christmas. If it's snowing outside, all the better. The man really knew how to set a mood.

Both of these albums are perfect bookends for Christmas. But DEFINITELY get the Razor & Tie versions that Steve mastered. They don't make them like this anymore!!!

2. ReggieTheVaper

ReggieTheVaper Forum Resident

If any members already have both these albums, I would recommend "The Wombles - Wombling Merry Xmas"

Hawkman likes this.
  3. jricc

jricc Senior Member

:righton::righton::righton: On The Ventures Christmas Album, Hawkman!

Hawkman likes this.
  4. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Wow... $58 for a used copy of this out-of-print Gleason CD. And $162 for a new one.

5. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Hawkman is right! They DON'T Make Them Like That Anymore! :eek::confused::rolleyes:;):cool:

Hawkman likes this.
  6. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

I couldn't believe that either. But...the quality of the music and the reputation of it's mastering engineer increase the demand more than the supply. :)

Try scrounging around eBay. Just make sure that you get the Razor & Tie versions.

7. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Just ordered both. I won't be able to get em until next year but they should provide for good listening next christmas!

8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I got an import version with the mono and stereo mixes, but had to keep the SH version, if only for the count-off that he put in before the first track.

9. JazzPolice

JazzPolice Well-Known Member

Listening to my Sony Playstation 1 SPCH 1001 with Cardas Quadlink 5C interconnects, Cardas Crosslink speaker cable, Quad ESL 57 speakers, and a pair of Heathkit UA-1 tube mono amplifiers with Mullard 6CA4s and Amperex Bugle Boy 6BQ5s. This cd sounds very, very good. I think Steve did an exceptionally good job on this one. The guitars sound alive, jangly, warm and natural without any of the harsh, piercing quality that I've heard in many inferior Ventures remastering jobs. The rhythm section is full and robust without calling attention to itself or being overblown. Very nice work. Cheers!

Hawkman likes this.
  10. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Which version is it? Would you give me a link?

11. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I don't think the count in is on the Razor & Tie SH mastered version. That was on the EMI Larry Walsh / Ron Furmanek remixed version from 1990. To my ears, it sounds like the SH version uses the original mix. I prefer the original mix and the mastering on the Razor & Tie is fantastic. :agree:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    Hawkman likes this.
  12. JazzPolice

"The Ventures Christmas Album" RE 2085 Razor & Tie. It's an excellent disc. Someone was paying attention here and knew what the hell they were doing.

Hawkman and mmars982 like this.
  13. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Purchased it a minute ago for €18 :)

Hawkman, JazzPolice and Starwanderer like this.
  14. JazzPolice

Awesome. I know you'll like it!

Echo likes this.
  15. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Re: The Ventures. Agree it's a truly classic album and I guess I have the EMI version since it
    has the count-in on "Sleigh Ride".
    The only track that I don't care for is "Scrooge". It really doesn't fit well on the album and
    breaks the flow of the disc. Always felt it would have been better on "In Space" or some type
    of Halloween album. But I guess that's just me.

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The most guitar rocking Christmas album ever. Very crunchy sounding, not just the surf sound that I love here.

17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more on the Ventures. Scored a copy last year and it's in heavy rotation lately. One of my favorite CDs.

Don't have the Jackie Gleason, but I am expecting a copy of the Razor and Tie Merry from Lena to be under the tree and am looking forward to hering that.

Hawkman likes this.
  18. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I bought the Razor & Tie edition of The Ventures Christmas Album at Tower Records back when it first came out, and it's usually the very first album I play every year when I'm trying to get into the spirit of the season. It sounds absolutely wonderful.

But, I never thought to look at the credits, and it wasn't until a year or two ago (maybe after I joined this forum?) that I realized :doh: it was the work of our host. Thanks, Steve, and Merry Christmas.

munjeet likes this.
  19. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I have the Gleason Christmas album.
    It's nice, it's sloooooow, it's easy.
    I got it for my Mom ages ago who had it on LP, I was surprised to see a SH credit on it. We always though it sounded better played on 45.
    One thing I always wanted to know is "who's Hercules?" The musician credited on the Gleason album playing electric celeste.

It's certainly not this dude
    [​IMG]

The Ventures album is a desert island Christmas album, a classic.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  20. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Just grabbed the Razor and Tie version of Gleason's CD for 29.00 shipped (like new) on eBay. There are a few more at that price for those interested.

21. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I've got the Ventures Christmas Album mastered by our host and I concur it sounds amazing!! Also one of the most
    "fun" Christmas albums you will ever hear!!!

It's the only Christmas album I can listen to in June!

on7green, mmars982 and HominyRhodes like this.
  22. TallPaulInKy

TallPaulInKy Forum Resident

Everytime I listen to this fabulous album, I feel Evelyn Freeman (organ) Red Rhodes (singing steel guitar, notable especially on Silver Bells) Jules Wechter and Frank DiVito (both of the Baja Marimba Band) and percussionist Eddie Brackett Jr don't really get the credit they deserve for helping in this festive atmosphere.

mmars982 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.