DCC Archive Steve Hoffman......Need your input!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RetroSmith, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Steve, I'm confused.

The last post in the Everly Bros Topic has a Q&A where someone says that the DCC Everly Bros Cd used the SAME masters as the Rhino Disk.

Is this true? If so, then when were the original first generation masters found, and what Cd do they appear on?

thanks,Steve , great to have you here.

Mikey

2. Matt

Matt New Member

I posted that Q & A. I'm in the middle of something now, but I'll clarify that post later (who actually said what, etc.)

3. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

If it helps make sense, I posted the original questions (that Steve answered) for the bottom two quotes regarding the recording evolution of "Since You Broke My Heart (and its mono only release) and the "unique" stereo mixes of "Poor Jenny" and "TAMTM".

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, I didn't mean the 1985 Rhino disc.

I meant the later stuff.

Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

BTW, that first Rhino disc does use many original tapes, just not every track. Listen to "Bye Bye Love". Obvious that the master hadn't been unearthed yet.

5. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

The Bill Inglot stuff (after 1985) might have used the master tapes that Inglot found, but the way he mastered them (for use on all of the other Rhino licensed packages) makes the music sound shrill and digital sounding.

Listen to the Inglot mastered "Let It Be Me". Makes your ears bleed. Now, listen to the Hoffman version on the DCC Gold Disc.

Oh My God !!!

What a difference. THAT is the breath of life.

Try and find a copy of the DCC Gold disc.

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

I will...thanks John!!

Believe me, I trust Steves work over anything Rhino, any day of the week!!

Fav Everlys Track: Bowling Green

7. Matt

Matt New Member

I had a feeling that's what you meant.

By the way, a long time ago, in a post about the Beatles CD's, you mentioned that it was proper to play back a mono tape on a full mono head or, if the tape is really worn, use a stereo head and pick a channel (this was in response to the unfortunate practice of playing a mono tape back on a stereo head and hitting the mono button).

However, the Buddy Holly CD you did seems to have been done on a stereo head with both channels preserved, and if memory serves, I think the mono tracks on the Everly Brothers' Best were, too (I may be wrong on that; I'd have to check). At least on the Buddy Holly CD, there are definitely different things that one can occasionally hear on one channel but not the other, usually a drop-out. How come you didn't just pick one channel and use it?

Just curious.

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Camarillo ]

8. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Unfortunately, ditto for the UK ACE CD twofer of the first album and "The Fabulous Style of" that came out at the same time...very painful. Though I recall, that the respective mastering wasn't *exactly* lifted (some minor mastering differences) from the single Rhino CD reissue of the first album (sold it) - it was equally ugly!

9. Steve Hoffman

On the Buddy Holly, MCA Whitney didn't have a full track headstack when we did the "From The Original Master Tapes" CD.

The mono stuff was transferred in mono, using the left or right channel only, so I think you might have a later version that was slightly corrupted, but I don't know.

Remember, if little imperfections bother you, get off of the headphones and turn your speakers back on!

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Steve Hoffman ]

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, Steve, the "good" version is stereo too, it just doesn't have the phase problems. Very much like MBBB, also done with a stereo head.

I mean, I've heard 3 different versions of the CD, and ALL are stereo transfers. Two have alignment problems, one doesn't.

Maybe it's time for you to pull your copy out and listen...:O

11. Matt

Matt New Member

Luke,

Your good copy of Buddy Holly - From the Original Master Tapes have this sort of thing (hearing stuff in one channel but not the other), doesn't it?

Anyway, I suppose it's not that important. Not sure how the disc could have been corrupted like that, but if the little things really start to bother me, I'll just burn a "fixed" version.

12. Matt

Matt New Member

That's pretty cool, man! You answered my question just before I can ask you. How's that for clairvoyance?

13. Steve Hoffman

Well, I can't go back in time 17 years and fix it, so what is there will have to do.

Think of it like this. The way it is, you will be able to actually hear the "wear and tear" of the original tapes in stereo as they are played.

Should give one a little thrill, eh?

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I never said it was a problem. Just clearing things up a bit. Don't want to mislead people, you know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.