DCC Archive Steve, how do you get your vocal remixes to sound so authentic?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Angel, Nov 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angel

Angel New Member Thread Starter

Steve,

I know you don't like to give away too many secrets here, but I'm very curious about this.

I just heard a so-called remix of Perry Como's "It's Impossible" that was sent to us by BMG for a CD project we are working on. It doesn't sound like the original version at all. Doesn't even sound like the same singer.

How do YOU do it? I know you said you don't like to play God, but when you do remix things, they come out so well. Can you share a little?

Thanks, Steve!!!!!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Angel,

Get BMG to send you a DAT clone of the 1980's Nipper CD volume "1970's" that has "It's Impossible" on it if they won't pull the analog. It's the right version.
    ------------------------------------------
    My rules for doing a good remix:

Do not use any, and I mean ANY equpment manufactured later than 1967.

Do not play God by:

Atempting to change vocal perspective, or orchestra balance for a more modern sound.

If you need to add echo (and you live in LA), swing over to the Capitol Tower and BORROW some by dialing one of the chambers in. So it costs 100 bucks, big deal.

Make sure the vocal track is clearly louder than the orchestra. Never bury the vocal in the mix. It's not how they did it back then.

Do not "tweak" the vocal track, (you know what I mean, Carole)!

Do not do your final mix late at night after working on it all day. WAIT until the morning.

Do not mix at a loud volume. The BEST volume to mix a vocal from the old days? Have someone stand by your speakers and sing something in a natural voice. Now, match the volume of the vocal on your tape to that human voice. Keep it at that level!

That good enough for now. I'm giving away far too much... ;)

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Hmmm - gave away too much there Steve.

All of your work that I own - from Sinatra to the Mama's & Papa's to Jethro Tull - all have that natural vocal quality. I know that Ian Anderson's voice has nothing near the "chops" of a Perry Como, but making him sound human seems to have improved the entire soundfield.

4. Angel

Angel New Member Thread Starter

Steve,

Thank you and bless you for your insight. We are already putting some of it into practice in Studio B.

Thank you again! ;)

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Glad I could help you a bit, Angel.

Good luck on your projects!

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have that Nipper CD, and it's great. Very odd selection of tunes, but also has a great mastering of "Lady" by Styx, and a lot of those tunes fill in a lot of gaps in my collection. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.