Steve Jobs the movie, first look

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Metoo, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Wow! I was not into this at all, but written by Aaron Sorkin (West Wing) and starring Michael Fassbender (Magneto) as Jobs! I'm in big time!

[​IMG]

3. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

A film about Jobs written by Sorkin? Ego City! Maybe Danny Boyle can turn it into a fun film but I'll probably never see it because it sounds awful!

MikaelaArsenault and Sneaky Pete like this.
  4. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Were you not a fan of The Social Network? I found that one to be a one of the great films of the past decade.

MikaelaArsenault, tmtomh and Mazzy like this.
  5. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I thought it was ok. Not as great as many thought. Sorkin to me is so formulaic and pretentious. I don't buy the gravitas he tries to conjure in anything he does. There is the concept of 'show don't tell' but Sorkin is all tell. I can always see the strings.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Isaacson's is very good, and I actually prefer it to the later books that have come out with Jobs, some of which kind of cover up the Apple exec's more negative sides.

I think the casting of Jeff Daniels as John Sculley -- the exec who grapples for power with Jobs and forces him out of the company he founded -- was a pretty good idea. Sculley was a slick, older man who definitely had this kind of ambition and panache.

7. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

After seeing the teaser I'm still convinced that Fassbender looks pretty much nothing like Jobs, even with all the Hollywood makeup and costumes, BUT he's such a great actor that I think it ultimately won't matter.

MikaelaArsenault and wayneklein like this.
  8. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

"When I caught up with him Wozniak told me that, unlike the Jobs biopic with Ashton Kutcher, this one is totally authentic. “I saw a rough cut and I felt like I was actually watching Steve Jobs and the others (including Rogen’s dead-on portrayal of Wozniak), not actors playing them, I give full credit to Danny Boyle and Aaron Sorkin for getting it so right,” he enthusiastically told me. Of all the actors in the film he thinks Winslet might be the most likely to garner awards attention. I would add Fassbender to that list for sure. It’s a dazzling display of acting and he is almost never off the screen."

Source:
    http://deadline.com/2015/09/steve-wozniak-says-steve-jobs-the-movie-gets-it-all-correct-1201516399/

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I still like "Pirates Of Sillicon Valley".

MikaelaArsenault and profholt82 like this.
  10. A great team involed . I think this will be great.

But they should have called it 28 GB Later. :tiphat:

MikaelaArsenault and wayneklein like this.
  11. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I look forward to this. Maybe there will be a teaser in the end how iCloud evolves into Skynet. :)

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Getting rave reviews from the industry critics:

For those who subscribe to the generally held view that the late co-founder of Apple was both an iconic visionary and a monster with a silicon chip where his heart should be, rest assured that writer Aaron Sorkin, director Danny Boyle and star Michael Fassbender have given their subject the brilliant, maddening, ingeniously designed and monstrously self-aggrandizing movie he deserves. Blowing away traditional storytelling conventions with the same withering contempt that seems to motivate its characters’ every interaction, “Steve Jobs” is a bravura backstage farce, a wildly creative fantasia in three acts in which every scene plays out as a real-time volley of insults and ideas — insisting, with sometimes gratingly repetitive sound and fury, that Jobs’ gift for innovation was perhaps inextricable from his capacity for cruelty.

http://variety.com/2015/film/festiv...assbender-telluride-film-festival-1201586996/

How do you get to the bottom of a character like Steve Jobs, a figure so towering and complex that he could arguably serve as the basis of a film as ambitious as Citizen Kane? If you’re a dramatist with the character insight and verbal dexterity of Aaron Sorkin, you make him the vortex of a swirling human hurricane, the puppetmaster who kept all around him on strings, the impresario of a circus dedicated to the creation and dramatic unveiling of technological wonders that changed the world. Racing in high gear from start to finish, Danny Boyle’s electric direction tempermentally complements Sorkin’s highly theatrical three-act study, which might one day be fascinating to experience in a staged setting. With its high-profile launches at the Telluride, New York and London film festivals, this Universal release is clearly positioned as one of the prestige titles of the fall season and will be high priority viewing for discerning audiences around the world.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/steve-jobs/review/820561

Can't wait to see it. I know that the Apple execs are not happy about the movie, because it paints a very negative portrait of their very complex corporate founder.

Jrr likes this.
  13. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

From the Variety article>>>

"the picture’s major visual coup is the decision to shoot the three acts on three different formats: grainy 16mm film for 1984, lustrous 35mm for 1988, and sleek, high-definition digital for 1998. The distinctions may well be lost on the vast majority of viewers, but it’s just the sort of nicely understated aesthetic flourish that Steve Jobs himself would have surely appreciated."

fitzrik and Dan C like this.
  14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have the highest respect for his accomplishments, and for the products he and his team made that have made my life so much better. I can't wait to see this!

Tim 2 likes this.
  15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Here's Collider's take:

"Steve Jobs is a locomotive. Danny Boyle‘s biopic of the former Apple CEO is crisply directed, wonderfully acted, and beautifully edited. Aaron Sorkin‘s script is breathless, witty, urbane, but also exhausting and painfully circular. It spans 15 years, and three different Jobs product launches. This train makes you feel like it’s covered a lot of ground, but there are windows on the train—and we can see that it’s just traveled in circles, and stopped at the same spot as it began; the conductor asks you to step out and see the place as new. Unfortunately, this is how Steve Jobs goes from being great to merely good".

"Steve Jobs is a dreamy pop song that repeats the chorus too often. But it sure does play a mean hook".

Grade: B-

http://collider.com/steve-jobs-movie-review-michael-fassbender-telluride-2015/

16. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Or perhaps how iPhone users evolve into the Borg Collective. :)

Deesky likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here's a terrific (and lengthy) article on how the upcoming Steve Jobs film was made... including fascinating details on the studio exec who dropped the film only to instantly regret it less than a day later, and a list of many big stars who either walked away from playing the Apple legend or were pressured to do so. I knew about Leonardo DiCaprio and Christian Bale, but I was surprised to see Tom Cruise on that short list as well...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/a-widows-threats-high-powered-829925

Michael Fassbender was apparently about the 20th person on the list who finally agreed to play the title character. While he doesn't look like Steve Jobs at all, no question his acting chops are immense. I like the fact that Steve Wozniak has endorsed the film (though he was a consultant to writer/producer Aaron Sorkin):

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/09/technology/wozniak-jobs-movie/

The Hollywood Reporter piece reveals that Jobs' wife Laurene Powell -- who is worth an estimated $20 billion -- lobbied extensively behind the scenes to discourage studios and actors from making the film about her deceased husband. Since the film was loosely based on the best-selling Walter Isaacson biography, we can assume she knew it would dredge up some of the more colorful, negative aspects of her husband's life over the years.

I read an interesting criticism of the film today that chided it for presenting only a small portion of Jobs' life. To me, that's all you can do in 2 hours. Jobs was a frustrating, brilliant, cruel, and ruthless businessman, and I think it'd be impossible to encapsulate all the shadings of his life in just 2 hours. It'd take a 10-hour miniseries to do him justice. I'm fascinated by Jobs as a man, but I think the movie is totally accurate in capturing how capricious and mean-spirited Jobs could be, while also being part of changing the world with technology and being a genius at making great products.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Tree of Life and Dan C like this.
  18. I'm just hoping that this is the film that finally vindicates my belief in Seth Rogen. :)

19. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I find it strange that two films about the same subject both produced by major studios were in production at the same time. I'm sure that this phenomenon occurs more often than I'd figure, but I can't really think of any other examples (at least recently). I notice that it often happens after major celebrity scandals or world events with made-for-tv movies, but it seems odd to me that two big studios would release biopics about the same guy within such a short time. It'll be interesting to see how this affects the box office performance.

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Fassbender is a great actor.

I will definitely check it out.

Tree of Life likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

looking forward to seeing this...

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

:laugh:

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Trailer looks so so.
    But' it's definitely not theatre viewing.
    (For me at least) I'll pick up a DVD on this bio pic, no doubt.....later. Not a big fan of the director.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is actually the third movie on Steve Jobs that has been out so far:

the 2013 Ashton Kutcher movie Jobs
    the 2014 documentary Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine
    and the 2015 Aaron Sorkin drama Steve Jobs (based on the Walter Isaacson biography)

The latter film went into production earlier this year, the documentary was shot mostly last year, and the Ashton Kutcher movie started production in 2012. None were in production at the same time. In truth, the Steve Jobs movie was pushed back because Sony Pictures put it in turnaround, and it wound up at Universal. It was not an expensive movie to make, so it's not going to have to make a fortune to break even.

I personally think Steve Jobs was an extremely complicated man who had a lot of good and bad sides to him. It would take 10 hours to do justice to a life this colorful and messy. This movie barely scratches the surface, but I think what it does show is essentially truthful, though there's quite a few people claiming it's extremely negative (particularly the execs at Apple and Jobs' widow). It's illuminating that Steve Wozniak, who was there for the first 15 years of Jobs' Apple career, says the movie is essentially accurate.

profholt82 likes this.
  25. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

One example: Capote (2005) and Infamous (2006) went into production at the same time.

profholt82 and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.