Steve Marriott died just 26 years ago.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

He's one of my all time favorites.

sixelsix likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The Small Faces were certainly not fey, but I can certainly see how Itchycoo Park would give the wrong impression, as great as it is.

They had awful management and records like All Or Nothing, I Can't Make It, My Minds Eye, Tin Soldier and Afterglow Of Your Love could have been big in the US with the right promotion, in the same way The Animals had substantial success in America. All of these were successful in the UK (Afterglow less so, but it was released after they had split and had already appeared on a big selling number one album) and have incredibly powerful r'n'b vocals from Marriott. One of the greatest 'blue eyed soul' singers, along with Eric Burdon.

3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Fantastic singer and performer, and I'm speaking as a more casual fan.

Alan2 likes this.
  4. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

I was lucky enough to catch the original Humble Pie a few times in small venues, simply one of the best bands I've ever seen. A voice like no other![​IMG]

5. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

[​IMG]

with Frampton opening after the split!

Alan2 and jwoverho like this.
  6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I think the Immediate fiasco even sabotaged the first Humble Pie album.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I've always found it kind of hard to understand how he could want to leave the Small Faces to do Humble Pie. Because the Small Faces were one of the greatest bands ever and Humble Pie were just...not.

But I recently read Ian McGlagan's book and it seems like they were all pretty ready to be done with him at that point anyway. Apparently a very difficult guy to get along with.

Anyway, one of the greatest singers and a tremendous songwriter too. Died way too young.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Wow I might have to spin the Smokin SACD tonight. The best sounding Pie release, although the Rock On Mobile Fidelity silver cd is excellent as well.

Alan2 and boboquisp like this.
  9. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Steve.....Still remembered and your amazing talent enjoyed in my house regularly.
    One of the greatest voices in rock.
    My favorite Humble Pie album is Rock On.
    Glen

Alan2 likes this.
  10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

They named a Steve Marriott biography after a line in a song by Ronnie Lane?

11. Itchycoo Park written by Steve Marriott and Ronnie Lane. They were like the Lennon/McCartney of the Small Faces.

12. owsley

owsley Senior Member

A total mega talent. One of the greatest white soul singers on the planet and a great 'scat' adlib singer along with Jagger and Van Morrison. I rate him also as one of the best rhythm guitarists ever, along with Lennon and David Crosby (Byrds). His best songs with the Small Faces and early Humble Pie were as good as any British band including the Fabs. I think I've played the Safe As Yesterday Is lp more than any other album in the last 45+ years since I started collecting. That is my go-to quintessential British Rock lp, The 3rd Pie lp is almost as good. And for someone not known as a good lead guitarist, his solo on Billy Nichols 'Girl From New York' is a stunner. Simple yet deadly. My only regret is that the Small Faces didn't add Frampton to the lineup in '68 as Marriott wanted. Those tracks on Johnny Hallyday's '69 lp with the Faces and Frampton together give an idea of how awesome a '69 Faces lp with Marriott, Lane and Frampton songs could have been. But that aside SM left behind an awesome legacy of incredible songs that have not dated and still sound fresh and exciting.

Alan2 and jwoverho like this.
  13. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

Small Faces were a major, major band in the UK 1965-69. By the numbers, 11 Top 20 hits, 8 of those Top 10, 2 of those #1. Their album Ogden's Nut Gone Flake was #1 for 6 weeks in 1968. I was so lucky to have been living in England at the time to witness their ascent on Top of the Pops during their heyday, plus they were my first concert. Such a travesty of musical justice that they (and The Move) never had the opportunity to hit it big in the States.

14. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I was leaving class at college when I heard the news on the radio that Steve had passed. It was mentioned that he had been working again with Peter Frampton and I wondered what material they would have come up with together.

One of the best frontmen ever and as good a lead singer as any that have stormed the stage.

The FILLMORE album is a legendary document.

PDK, Alan2 and Sax-son like this.
  15. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

If you thought The Hollies British Invasion DVD "Look Through Any Window" was fab, you likewise need to check out the Small Faces British Invasion DVD "All Or Nothing"...

16. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I am pleased to now hear that "Rockin the Fillmore" has it's fans. When it first came out, many DJ's raved about how bad the record was and that it did not do the band any justice. I never could understand why they felt that way, but it goes to show that not everything was well received or respected in it's time. Time does have it's rewards!

PDK likes this.
  17. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Another band getting screw that's should be in the Hall

18. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Very underrated album in my book. I am blessed to have a MFSL of this on CD.

Rick A.

Alan2 likes this.
  19. vamborules

Small Faces - Happy Days Toy Town

20. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Which album is that? I'd like to check it out.

Mark

21. vamborules

owsley and Mark Wilson like this.
  22. Grampire

Grampire Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The live disc from Annie's Club in Cincinnati is a must!

23. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Saw them twice (I think) with a teen Frampton on guitar. Amazing. Generous hard-working performers, just sensational shows.

24. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I hadn't been aware of the coincidence either, until just this year. Different fields, but both peerless singers, and both passed as a result of accidents.

25. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Which band? Small Faces got inducted a few years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.