Steve Marriott (Small Faces,Humble Pie, solo) vs. Rod Stewart (Jeff Beck,Faces, solo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesDassin, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

who do you prefer ? Steve Marriott's Small Faces, Humble Pie and Steve's Allstars OR Rod Stewart with the Jeff Beck Group ,The Faces and Rod's solo work. poll on the way and please tell us why.

2. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Big Small Faces fan, pun intended.

Like Rod all the way up to those damn Songbook albums.

Small Faces were one of the the best bands of their day. Ogdens Nutgone Flake has been a favorite since I bought the 8 track in the early 70s. I got into Rod and Steve at practically the same time. Thank Sire Records for those History Of British Rock comps in the early 70s. Made me go and search out a bunch of records. Lazy Sunday was on HOBR vol 2. Had a girlfriend that gave me Smokin and Eat It. You couldn't get away from Rod and the Faces in the early to mid 70s, great LPs by Faces and Rod solo. What an excellent group of players all around. Ronnie Lane may he be remembered as more than a sideman. Steve had such a powerful voice. I could gush on these guys all night. I'll just leave it like this; all of them have given me hours and hours of listening pleasure.

3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

In their prime, both were fantastic rock'n'roll singers who knew their soul songbooks backwards and forwards. Things kind of went downhill for both of them after that. I like them equally.

4. gojirin

gojirin Forum Resident

Still adore The Small Faces unqualified and The Faces up 'till Ronnie Lane left.
    Really have a hard time with Humble Pie, but there are some tunes that really get me. Just finished a biography of Steve Marriot and have started listening through pretty much the entire HP discography.
    Rod went into a musical place after the Faces that left me uninterested. Steve Marriot, while producing music I didn't enjoy at times, still played guitar well.
    And there was that voice.

5. Love Marriot & The Small Faces a whole lot...love Rod & The Faces that much more.
    I should also note that those early Rod solo albums were really Faces albums by another name...and The Jeff Beck Group albums are terrific as well...Humble Pie less so than Small Faces, but still great, know Steve's All Stars almost not at all...

6. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Steve Marriot!!

7. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Difficult. These are two of my fav. singers. So I said "equal", but I'd really give a slight edge to Rod. Steve was never able to do those touching ballads like Rod.

8. alex-57

alex-57 Forum Resident

Rod Stewart

9. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Have you heard Every Little Bit Hurts?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3DMbsZqiY

Steve Marriott for me, although not technically a ballad Afterglow is one of my favorite love songs of all time and one of my favorite vocal performances.

Hell, I prefer Frankie Miller to Rod.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJaPPHnMbns

10. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

All brilliant
    Why no hits in the States???
    Too 'pub rock' ??

11. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Not a fan of either.

12. race records

race records Forum Resident

Judas!!!

Two of rocks finest to ever step behind a microphone.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  13. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Both are superhuman freaks of nature when it comes to singing. But for sheer power, I have to go with Steve. I saw both live back in the early 70s and they both were astounding.

14. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Well said!:cheers:

15. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

:shake:

The Small Faces - The Autumn Stone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTnUPI8203U

16. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

I went with Steve... I know I'm in the minority but The Pie were my favorite of
    Humble Pie
    Faces
    Small Faces
    Rod Solo
    Jeff Beck Group
    Steve Solo

17. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Without a doubt very good...no...without a doubt great! But I'd still take Seem Like a Long Time, Tomorrow is Such a Long Time, Mandolin Wind, Reason to Relieve, Mama You Been on my Mind, Country Comforts or Handbags and Gladrags over this. Steve is a wonderful, wonderful vocalist, however...I consider those first 5 Rod albums and first 4 Faces Albums the finest music I've ever heard. Touching, real, and human. I can't think of ANY music for important to me personally. This music just speaks to me. If I had to have only one CD (God help me) - I'd take my West German - Every Picture Tells a Story.

18. Adam2

Adam2 Forum Resident

Not really.

19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Marriott. Much stronger. Humble Pie could wipe the floor with the Faces.

20. NicS

NicS Forum Resident

That goes for me too.

21. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Rod! Equally good belter as Marriott; better ballad singer. Better songwriter as well....

22. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Steve Mariott for me..

23. tages

tages Senior Member

Funny - I feel the exact opposite. To me, Rod seemed to struggle with songwriting and the Small Faces had all those great pop songs (Tin Soldier, My Mind's Eye, All Or Nothing, Here Comes The Nice, etc.). Steve wins for me.

Too effin' right. I miss Ronnie - God Bless 'Im:righton:
    [​IMG]

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Like them both. Rod's work with The Jeff Beck Group alone gives him the edge.

25. retrocool73

retrocool73 New Member

Both great in their day, however Marriott pissed away his mighty talent literally and died before Britpop (Weller & co) could (and no doubt would) have revived his dead career whilst Stewart went from strength to strength commercially but pissed away his talent gradually in his endless pursuit of the dollar. Rod today is more "X-Factor" than "Britpop" (or rock, or whatever you want to call decent music) and it's hard to see why any new movement would want to be associated with the old spunker....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.