Steve Martin's NBC TV specials

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spaghettiows, Oct 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just watched Steve Martin's first NBC special from 1978 on Shout TV. I almost completely forgot about these specials, but when I remember laughing hysterically at them when they first aired.

Surprisingly, most of the skits are still pretty funny and hold up. I can see why Martin dropped his "Wild & Crazy Guy" persona, and it was the right thing to do, but it was sure fun while it lasted.

Does anyone remember his NBC specials?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    RickH, Vidiot, misterjones and 3 others like this.
  2. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I was very excited when these finally came out- some of the humor is dated but they are pretty funny. This always cracks me up, mostly because it goes on for so long (just like the song)

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I've only heard his comedy albums but this reminds me I really need to get that DVD set with the NBC specials on it and check those out. I am sure I would really enjoy them. :)

wayne66 likes this.
  4. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I remember the one from 1981. Martin and Dan Ackroyd did the Wild and Crazy Guys sketch. John Belushi also appeared in that one. That was one of his last appearances. It felt like a Saturday Night Live episode.

Dan C likes this.
  5. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Did those include the upside down car, getting behind the wheel of a steamroller, the death of Socrates and the land time forgot? If so, I remember many of the skits and I think I only saw them once (when they originally aired). Very creative. Those are on DVD? I probably don't get "Shout TV". I'll have to check them out.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here's one of the funniest things Steve Martin ever did. He used to show it prior to his 1978-1981 stand-up act as kind of an intro...

It was nominated for the Oscar for Best Short Film, but did not win. I think it's more memorable than about 90% of the shorts that have come out in the years since.

7. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I remember that intro sketch from the time I saw my namesake live in a basketball arena in San Antonio. Great stuff!

8. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

"Steve Martin's Best Show Ever" I believe was the name of that one. I still have it on VHS from the original airing. Dan Aykroyd did "Irwin Mainway's Sucker Showcase". And Steve did a sketch where a stringed quartet was doing a classical piece and Steve kept interrupting to ask them to try to liven up the act, coming out at one point swirling a lasso. :laugh:

wayne66 likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Is that the one where he played an advertising executive tasked with coming up for a slogan for Okra Cola?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.