Steve Morse to retire from Deep Purple?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Jun 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Madrid

Maybe Joe Satriani will join them again, or someone else. After watching footage of Blackmore's recent gigs I think he might struggle to keep up with Purple, although he was really the genius behind their classic days.

Rufus rag likes this.
  3. Joey Kaspick

Joey Kaspick Forum Resident

I guess nothing can last forever.

footlooseman likes this.
  4. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

they really should pack it in....

5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I don’t see Deep Purple under any circumstances bringing Ritchie back, so either the band wraps up or another guy would come in to take Morse’s place.

6. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

His hands seem to be really bothering him, so this wouldn't be terribly surprising. He simply may no longer be able to play to his standards, which would be a real shame.

MikaelaArsenault and zen like this.
  7. Madrid

Saw them live last year for the first time and, as a big fan, I really loved it. I actually like the last couple of albums with Morse and he certainly brought a lot of energy to the band as well as undoubtedly improving the inter-band atmosphere.

If they are going to finish after the Long Goodbye tour maybe one or two big gigs where they bring out Blackmore for some songs would be a fitting end, but I agree I can't see him joining the band full time either because of his own current ability or because of the strained relations with Gillan.

One big final gig where Coverdale and Hughes make an appearance as well would be an amazing finale but there's only a tiny chance of this happening. A shame as it would get great publicity and would be a fitting end.

8. Madrid

I'd love to see one final gig where they put aside their differences and work through a set with as many different formations as possible. Other bands like Fairport Convention and even Metallica have done it so would be great if Purple could.

What's holding them back - ego, bad blood, management?

Blackmore, Coverdale and Hughes do enough Purple stuff in their own gigs so they obviously like the material. Would it ever happen or is it impossible?

footlooseman likes this.
  9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Fairport never really lost anybody though. Since they started the Cropredy festivals in the late 70s, every living member of the band has been involved.

10. Why? They are enjoying playing together and still sound pretty good.

11. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

"pretty good" is a long way from the heights of the early 70's :)

ponkine and Leroyd like this.
  12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's impossible.

Gillan (and perhaps to a lesser extent, Glover) doesn't really acknolwedge the Mk III lineup, and they all pretty much can't get along with Blackmore, so yeah, not gonna happen. And, as others have pointed out, Blackmore's ability isn't the greatest at the moment (no idea about how the current 3 MkII members sound these days, although I'm sure Gillian has been struggling for years, that stuff isn't easy to sing).

NunoBento and Leroyd like this.
  13. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Strange to think Morse is coming up on 30 years as the guitar player in Deep Purple. I'm sure if Gillan and company want to continue without him there will be no shortage of guitar heroes interested in the job.

14. Madrid

I agree a big final gig is very unlikely although they did appear on stage together (without RB) for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, so that's a start!

Maybe if enough money is thrown at them they could put aside their dislike of each other but I guess they're still not a big enough name for a promoter to set this up like they might for Pink Floyd or Led Zep.

Seeing 4/5s of the Mark 3 line-up rip through Burn would be pretty amazing though.

Wombat Reynolds and kanakaris like this.
  15. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I have to say this band is a workhorse. They have constantly been recording and touring for over 50 years in Purple or other bands. Especially surprising that Paicey has the stamina still to keep going. His drumming is not simple to say the least.

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Deep Purple missed the retirement 10 years ago!

Same with Blackmore.... both harmed their legacy with poor records.

Acoustic Warrior and Leroyd like this.
  17. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

My requisite cranky old fogie Blackmore/Lord/Deep Purple fan post -
    "That's not Deep Purple!"
    All apologies, I can't help it.

moodyxadi and Gumboo like this.
  18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I disagree. The last 3 Purple records bave been excellent imo.

19. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

What the hell are you talking about?! Ex-Fairport Convention members Martin Lamble, Sandy Denny, Trevor Lucas, David Rea, Bruce Rowland, and Dave Swarbrick have all died! Furthermore, Jerry Donahue is reportedly permanently stricken to the point he will never be able to play guitar again!

20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Huh? My post says pretty clearly that every living member of Fairport has been involved in the Cropredy reunions. That includes all who were alive and well when Cropredy began-- Rowland, Lucas, Donahue and Swarb all appeared in different years, many times in Swarb's case. Can't vouch for everyone in the David Rea era, if you consider that a real Fairport lineup, but Dan Ar Bras has appeared. The point being that nobody in Fairport ever seems to have been estranged from the band.

Michael Heatley likes this.
  21. Madrid

With 12 out of 14 of their members still alive, Deep Purple could certainly do a grand retirement concert. Rod Evans hasn't been seen since the late 70s though and I doubt JLT would get the invite. Be good to see Nick Simper get a bit of credit on a run through of Hush before an all star finale with all three surviving guitarists taking leads.

Nice idea but incredibly unlikely!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  22. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

While we will see what will or won't happen, I should think the history of rock reunion should tell us NO amount of "no those guys REALLY hate each other" is proof that they'll never work together again. I agree a few nights in a theater in a big town in which different permutations of the living ex members play three hours of Purple music would be perfect. Yes should consider something similar. It's the kind of thing I think some outside promoter or manager would have to sell to the truculent jerks who make up the music tho, in both cases....

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I like that his suggestion that he hopes Kansas can make one more reunion tour of the classic lineup that he was part of, perhaps co-headlining with a DeYoung lead Styx, and with the Dixie Dregs opening.

clhboa likes this.
  24. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

And no one today can play as well as Deep Purple did in the early 70's.

Therefore NO ONE should play music anymore - they must ALL pack it in!

:D

25. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I hate so say this as much of a fan of his that I am, but Ian Gillan is the major reason why this wouldn't happen, in my opinion. Even more than Blackmore at this point!

Wombat Reynolds likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.