DCC Archive Steve, Tape Stock?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Back To Mono, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Back To Mono

Back To Mono New Member Thread Starter

Steve,

I read your comments pertaining to the EMItape. What would you regard as one of the best tape stocks? In your opinion, assuming the deck has been aligned and bias set correctly for the given tape, do different brand tapes have a "sound" of their own?

Thanks,
    Steve M

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Steve,

Do you mean vintage tape or current stock?

If vintage, Scotch 111, made in USA only.

If new, I don't like to endorse, because I haven't tried them all, but Quantagy 499 --did I spell that right? -- (Used to be called Ampex), usually sounds mighty good. I have no idea of the shelf life. Buyer beware!

3. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Pardon my ignorance, but is the best analog tape still the way to go, or have digital tapes taken over completely. Stve H., if you were recording a new album, would you go for analog tape?

4. Steve Hoffman

Paul,
    Actually, you are asking me if I would record a new album digitally or analog.

It would depend on the type of music, the budget, the artists' wants, etc.

If it was up to me, and it was a pop record, I would record analog and mix to analog. I just like the sound...

5. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Steve,
    I wanted to save this question for later...but it just fits here. OK, you'd record in analog...BUT with noise reduction or not? Dolby A, Dolby SR, DBX or just go with 30 ips the way it is.
    Doug

6. Steve Hoffman

Good question, Doug.

If I was recording live to two-track, I'd go 1/2" non-dolby @ 30 ips.

If I was recording on analog multi-track, I would use Dolby SR on the multi's.

If I was mixing to analog from the Dolby SR multi-track, I would mix on 1/2" non-dolby @ 30 ips.

Exceptions: Chamber Music, really quiet stuff, I might mix @ 15 ips to Dolby SR. It is very good....

7. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Steve,
    I recall you encountering some Dolby A mistracking, but hadn't heard whether you liked Dolby SR. I remember an article several years ago in MIX with Huey Lewis who said he loved the fact that you got all of the digital quiet with Dolby SR, but all of the analog warmth-- in otherwords, it still sounded right-- just quiet.
    Doug

8. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, they have it down with SR. No misalignments possible, thank goodness...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.