Steve, wha cha workin on these days ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spot1019, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spot1019

spot1019 Forum Resident Thread Starter

:shh:

or is it TOP SECRET ?

2. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

Hey spot1019,

I saw your forum name and Camper Van Beethoven immediately flashed in my brain. Can't figure out why. Is there a connection--or is my mind fabricating information, as it likes to do from time to time to amuse itself?

3. spot1019

hmmm, I posted a reply to a Camper Van Beethoven thread a few weeks ago, maybe you looked at it. Also SPOT and CVB were both on the music scene at the same time in California back in the mid-late 80's.

"spot ten nineteen, what does it mean" ?

4. spot1019

5. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I saw in the new issue of ICE Magazine where Steve has agreed to remaster a collection of Bob James' tunes for an SACD release. While he's far from classic jazz, I've always had a soft spot for Bob James' work (he did, amongst other things, the theme to "Taxi"), and would be looking forward to this release if I had a SACD player...

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Buy it anyway; there is a redbook CD layer as well.

7. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

How can I turn down a directive from the big guy himself?:)

8. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Wow- I LIKE it!

A thumbs up from the big guy, and a forthcoming release from an artist I used to love back in the 70's and 80's.

I think most folks "found" Bob James because of the theme from Taxi(like me). I bought Touchdown and loved it all. Bought "Blue Lick"(the one with a bug on the cover(????). Loved that, and then found "All Around The Town" live in various venues around NYC. Got em on vinyl and on CEEDEEE, and still listen to this day.

I never did any real critical listening to them(they are the first releases on CD back in the'80's), but as background music- I thought they were fine.

Are there any live tracks Steve???? When is it due out? Does it have any of his various collaborations with others after the Taxi days?

Chris

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Steve, any chance that we will see you put CCR Pendulum on SACD? ;)

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

GREAT news about the Bob James SACD!

I'm friends with Bob's daughter Hilary and her husband Kevin DiSimone!
    They live in the same city as I do.

Hilary and Kevin made a jazz CD (much like Norah Jones, although a bit more upbeat) with another friend of mine Chris Wintrip who owns his own recording studio here in Ohio. Some of the project was also recorded and mixed at Bob James former home studio near Tappan Zee!

Some of you may also remember Kevin in either the groups "Big Ric" or "Jolis & Simone" who released various projects on Columbia, Polydor and Scotti Brothers back in the 70's/early '80's! Kevin also wrote and Produced a few tracks for one Barry Manilow!

Can't wait to hear this one, Steve!

Chris C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.