Steve - what equipment do you use when listening for fun???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Jul 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

This might be a bit of a TC, but do you mean non-conical styli are harder on records than conical ones? I'm using an elliptical stylus at the moment, and plan on upgrading to a line-contact cartridge in a couple months .. will I be shortening the life of my LPs?

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I remember you talking about this cartridge being great with styrene 45's before. Obviously it's appropriate with all records for this basically vintage system too.

What turntable do you use the V15 on, the Thorens?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

If you have a good arm, no it's fine.

My Miracord from 1968 doesn't have a great arm, so I sacrifice a bit of sound magic for the safety of my records. I don't play the valuable stuff on it at all...

4. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

I see, thanks.

I hope the arm on my Sansui can be considered at least decent :sigh:

5. Steve Hoffman

Is there inner groove distortion on albums? If so, you're in trouble. If not, you're not.

6. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

Steve- are you able to get a sense of Soundstage from the way the speakers are positioned as shown in the photo? They dont look that far apart and are placed right up against the wall. Perhaps Soundstage and so forth isnt a concern and it still sounds good nonethless, just wondering.

Regards, B/F

7. Steve Hoffman

First of all, old speakers are meant to be up against a wall. You kids today!

Secondly, they are six feet apart and the soundstage is great. Any more and there would be a "hole" in the middle. Not nice!

Not that it matters on the 1920's 78's I love; they are mono. (They didn't have stereo until two years before most of this stuff was built...)

Tonality rules!

8. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

What makes an arm not suitable for using a V15?

9. audio

audio New Member

Steve, let me ask you this important question....if you had two choose one or two things that you would say were drawbacks or limitations of this system (aside from the 12K roll off), what would they be?

10. Steve Hoffman

None. Sounds like a dream. Either with the Mac or the Marantz in the loop. I wouldn't change a thing. It cooks! It Rocks! It sings! It dances! It resurrects the dead! I love it!

Besides I have "real" systems in other rooms for "serious" listening. But when I want to relax and hear music from 20, or even 80 years ago, I switch this baby on.

11. audio

audio New Member

Nice!

That's the puzzle. What is "serious" listening? That's what's haunting me on my quest. I can't decide whether I want to hear Ringo scratching his **** during the guitar intro to "I Feel Fine" or just want to enjoy the music for the sake of the song, feel, and life. What does "serious" listening mean to you? Are you saying that your vintage system is not necessarily "accurate"?

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Steve,
    I've said it before, but I NEVER get tired of looking at that system. :love:

It's interesting that you have a modern phono pre in there. Do you use that most of the time for vinyl or do you switch around? Is it a huge improvement over the phono section in the Marantz? Also, which pre do you use for 78 playback? One with specific switchable 78 EQ?

Thanks,
    Dan C

13. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I guess the important thing I learned on this thread is that a serious listening system needn't be an accurate one. And viceversa.

I know the feeling, having experienced the same thing myself (owning a not-so-accurate system you simply *love*). It's a good one.

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Just a note to the new folks on the forum:

Steve isn't kidding! Listening to a Doors DCC gold disc, I am absolutely convinced that Jim is in my listening room! Amazing stuff!

And to have a system that accurately reproduces that..... is heaven.

Rock and Roll heaven, that is. ;)

15. cwon

cwon Active Member

What I've been learning from this forum, is that if you only have one system, you need to decide if you want it to lean towards a serious one or a fun one. Listening to a serious system can be too much like a job, so I find myself looking more for the fun factor.

I switched over to tubes about 3 years ago to see what the fuss was about, and I'm more and more being won over by the "tonality is the thing" view.

16. Steve Hoffman

Dan,

The LA Audio (from Denmark, actually) is a MM tubed phono stage that I used to NOT care for too much. It was too uptilted and lean for real music. HOWEVER, on the Tannoy system it sounds perfect for playing 78's and 45's so that's what I use instead of the phono section in the Marantz 7C. The LA Audio phono stage is VERY dynamic and easy sounding in this system, where it would be too darn "Audiophile" sounding in my regular system.

Lesson: Every piece of gear you buy is ALWAYS system dependent. What might work in one system might sound terrible in another.

17. Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson Forum Resident

Steve - Good morning!

I have some gear that I got from friends and garage sales. I don't know if it's junk or has potential. I haven's really used it much. If I list it would you mind giving me your opinion? Keep it, fix it or toss it. ;)

PS. I really like this thread, I'm learnin' stuff!

18. Steve Hoffman

19. Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson Forum Resident

I'll have to do it from home, so it' will be tonight or saturday.

Thanks Steve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.