DCC Archive Steve: what the heck is a "Duffoscope"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew, Sep 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew

Drew Senior Member Thread Starter

This question has been nagging at me for a long time and I can't believe its taken me this long to think of asking this question in this forum.

In the early 80's I bought the RUSH album Hemispheres on vinyl (I think it was a few years old already at that time) and when I read the sleave it said "This album has been processed thru a duffoscope!"

That album has always sounded a little muffled to me no matter if its that vinyl, cassette, the original CD from the 80's or the 20 bit remaster that came out a few years ago.

If its because of that duffoscope, I hope they've pushed them all off a cliff. :D

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hmm...my guess would be a device that creates an awareness of Duff beer. Kind of like Duffman...

:D

3. Drew

Pass me another Duff beer! I'm thirsty from pushing that duffoscope off a cliff :D

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

"What kind of pathetic drunk do you take me for? Hey, somebody spilled beer in this ash tray! (slurp)"

5. Drew

Thats he-haw funny, but I stopped watching the Simpson's a few years back because I thought it was getting to cutesy cute.

Actually I took my TV down to the pawn shop a few years ago. I think I used the cash to buy Jethro Tull Aqualung on DCC Gold.

(Thats not a joke!)

Saves money on cable too!

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Now THAT is an audiophile. :eek:

7. Drew

To bad I don't really have great equipment to play my collection on (yet).

8. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I might recommend stealing cable. I did this successfully in Dayton for a period of almost a year till Time Warner came out and put the Denver boot on my hook-up box.

Incidentally, both "stealing cable" and "the Denver boot" have been covered by The Simpsons. Very educational! ;)

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

At least you didn't use it to go to Dr. Marvin Monroe's Family Therapy Center (family bliss or double your money back)...!

10. Drew

I had free cable the first year that I lived in my current apartment. It was turned on when I moved in and I never paid. One day I came home and found a nastygram taped to the door that said something to the effect of "upon a routine inspection of our cable service we noticed yours was turned on. By the way, theft of of service is punishable by up to 5 years in jail." I quickly dived for the remote and when I turned it on all I had was snow.

I never gave a dime to a cable company for their service until I had them hook up the cable modem.

Thats $40/month that could be going to my DCC Gold Disc/Single Ended Triode Tube Amp/High Efficiency Speaker fund.

Now... I wonder how much I can get for that old set for rabbit ears I have stashed in the closet.

Guess I'm not the audiophile Sckott thinks I am.

Now... I wonder how much I can get for that old set for rabbit ears I have stashed in the closet.

11. Drew

Oops... I'm stuttering... Too much Duff beer!

12. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Yeah, cause he's dead! :cool:

13. Unknown

Unknown Guest

You peaked my interest so I had to do a search for duffoscope.

-----------------------------------------
    >Subject: Re: Duffoscope?
    >From: "Sabre-X" <[email protected]>
    >Date: 11/10/98 9:02 PM Central Standard Time
    >Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >the omega concern wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >> In the liner for the Hemispheres CD it says, This albumn was
    >>passed through the Duffoscope. Does anyone know what this play on
    >>words refers too?

Duffo was the nickname for Pat Moran, who was the engineer at Rockfield
    Studios, where A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres were recorded. The band
    liked the way he heard their sound, and called his process of mixing the
    "duffoscope".
    jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

scroydon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.