Steve, what's your favorite mastering job?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ACK!, Mar 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member Thread Starter

Steve,

Of all the mastering jobs you've done over the years, which one is your favorite and why? Just curious, as you've tackled a varied array of projects in your career.

And if you are so inclined, what was your least favorite...and why?

Thanks!

;)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I almost never answer questions like this. Too vague. You mean the project that I felt came out better than the commercial version already released?

You'd have to break it down like this:

Favorite Jazz mastering job.
    Favorite Classical mastering job.
    Favorite, 1950's "oldies" mastering job, etc. etc.

Don't make me do a Sophie's Choice thing here. :)

It's easy to say that my favorite was "so and so" but that might be because I love the music of "so and so" better than another. Too vague! It's like being asked what my favorite CD is of everything I've done. Can't answer!

3. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Okay Steve, how about:

Which mastering job made a greater improvement than you initially thought possible?

Which job had the least improvement?

Which mastering job was the most enjoyable for you to go through the tapes?

Which mastering job was done under the most time pressure?

Were there any master tapes accompanied by hired goons to ensure that the tapes went back? :D

Just a few little "essential" questions!

4. Steve Hoffman

Okay Steve, how about:

Which mastering job made a greater improvement than you initially thought possible?

DYLAN/HWY 61, FIRST DOORS

Which job had the least improvement?

UHH, CAN'T SAY REALLY.

Which mastering job was the most enjoyable for you to go through the tapes?

IT'S NEVER ENJOYABLE TO GO THROUGH TAPES.

Which mastering job was done under the most time pressure?

JETHRO TULL/AQUALUNG

Were there any master tapes accompanied by hired goons to ensure that the tapes went back? :D

TAPES THAT WERE BABYSAT? RITCHIE VALENS, JOHN LEE HOOKER

5. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

That's funny. I would have guessed bigger names, like say, the Eagles or the Doors, would have had the goons. If the Valens and Hooker SACDs are any indication, the goons don't diminish the sound quality any.:)

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

In my own opinion...there's not one project that SH did that a difference can not be heard, a moderate or a drastic improvemnt. As long as it has SH on it i'll buy it if -I- like the music contained within...No matter how great SH mastering is, I can't force myself to like or listen to it! I can only name one artist that falls into that category!

7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

What's weird to me, as a music/record collector for years and an early purchaser of CDs, I subconsconciously started noticing Steve's name on CDs at some point. Then, later I would think "Oh good, this is a Steve Hoffman CD". Then the DCCs followed MFSL CDs, and there was Steve's name. That was good.

That was way before this place exisited and I even knew that other people collected these CDs and noticed Steve's name.

When I found this place, I thought "Cool".

The fact that way back then I even noticed who mastered a CD and focused on Steve's name speaks for itself, I guess.

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Were they just mere goons or hired goons?:laugh:

9. Steve Hoffman

Fans of the BBC radio series "The Goon Show"....:)

10. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

And here I thought they were lawyers!

Bob;)

11. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Steve- What project required the most work to get the sound you wanted? Is there a project you worked on that you are exceptionally proud of because you had to hunt down a certain piece of equipment? What tapes were in the worst condition but still turned out great?

12. Steve Hoffman

The most work? Eagles/Hotel California

Certain piece of equipment? Well, I have everything I need of a vintage nature so this doesn't really pertain.

Worst condition tapes? Ted N. & The Amboy Dukes. Green mold growing on them. Looked like Gia Pet tapes.

13. wes

wes Senior Member

:laugh:

Where were the tapes stored, some leaky shed in Alabama?

-Wes

14. Steve Hoffman

No, in a bathroom, in an alcove above the shower.

15. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

From the pictures I've seen of Ted back then, I don't think he showered a ton, so it must have been someone else's bathroom.

16. Steve Hoffman

Heh. Not his bathroom, no. :laugh:

17. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Interesting, because HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED and THE DOORS were among the most frequently mentioned discs in another thread that discussed which of your projects a forum member would use to demonstrate the difference between "regular" and "Hoffman" remastering.

I haven't seen it yet, so I'll ask which was your favorite jazz project? Was it the Miles Davis quintet recordings with John Coltrane? I think I would have been afraid to handle those tapes!

And since we're playing twenty questions, were you ever offered an opportunity to remaster classical music? I don't recall seeing any on your discography.

19. Steve Hoffman

Favorite jazz masterings? Well, this is apart from my favorite jazz recordings of course.

The one that gave me the most satisfaction as a mastering engineer was of course the Vince Guaraldi Trio's "Jazz Impressions Of Black Orpheus" aka "Cast Your Fate To The Wind".

Classical? I've done a bunch, mainly the Everest remasterings for the DCC LP line.

20. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

You certainly did your work well. That is my all time bench mark for the difference between a Steve Hoffman signature work and the regular release of a CD. Even the doubters say, "WOW!!" when they here the cymbals that don't splatter and the kick drum just before Don Henley start singing...

Shear artistry on the part of the band and our favorite "regular guy" Steve Hoffman who has the coolest job (and does it better than anyone) and the best breakfast partners ever!!

Thanks Steve!!

I think one of Steve's best qualities is that he simply lets his work speak for itself. No need to get big headed about it. He simply does his job, does it right and let's us all experience and enjoy it. Thanks again-- now get back to work!! We need more great music!!

21. Steve Hoffman

Doug,

A little secret; the opening of "Hotel California" took me longer to master correctly than the entire rest of the album. (And I ain't kidding!)

22. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Fascinating. May we ask why?

23. Steve Hoffman

Four EQ moves and three level changes, all within the first two minutes.

A real pain in the butt, but the DCC intro to "Hotel California" sounds amazing, don't it? :) 'Twas no accident.

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

A good job, sir; and Mr. Feinblatt was nowhere in the vicinity! Fortunately for all of us, he said! :laugh:

25. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steve,

As I recall, on this project, you used a pair of older JBL speakers for monitors while mastering?

Bob

P.S. Because of familiarity, I use this rendering as a Demo to SH converts. After I play it, I got 'em!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.