DCC Archive Steve: Which Floyd album will be released first?(nt)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wes, Oct 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wes

wes Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I think you're getting way ahead of things. Unless I've missed something, Steve hasn't even confirmed that DCC will be releasing any Pink Floyd titles.

Of course, if DCC does release Floyd titles on SACD, I'd like them to start with Wish You Were Here, with the SACD including both a red book layer and an SACD layer with both the stereo and the quad mix. The quad mix of WYWH is supposed to be spectacular. I've spoken to the guys who have the quad master and they consider it to be great surround sound demo material.

3. wes

Well, actually DCC bought a license to there catalog.

-Wes

4. Unknown

Unknown Guest

The *whole* catalog? Including soundtracks and post-Waters material?

5. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

Man, if I were to find out "Dark Side of the Moon" through "The Final Cut" were to be released by DCC on SACD, I don't think I'd be able to contain myself!

(crossing fingers)

6. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I could. Easily. This stuff has already been reissued umpteen times. And now I see ads for some new "Best of" also claiming to be newly remastered. If DCC was going to release PF at all, I would rather see them tackle stuff more off the beaten path -- Obscured by Clouds, for one. Maybe the Zabriskie Point s/t? Ummagumma? I'm sick of the "32.5th anniversary edition" of DSOTM.

7. Ian

Ian Active Member

Post Waters material? Goodnes gracious I hope not.

8. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I have to laugh at wanting the obscure titles from floyd released by DCC. Wake up fella! They may be Pink Floyd releases and you and I may love 'em, but Steve and the gang has to make some money out of the deal. Do you really think they would make more releasing Umagumma than Dark side? It's all about MONEY pal. It always has been when it comes to business. Look at some of the obscure titles that mofi choose to release near the end. Bing Crosby????? Yeah, I don't think Crosby's audience was or is into the "audiophile" release. (Sinatra is different because of his greater appeal from one generation to the next). So as much as you or I would love to have our less popular favorites on audiophile gold or vinyl, the life of the company must come first.

9. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Wes -- Where does your information come from? Last I heard, DCC was talking to EMI about licensing titles. I would be amazed if DCC actually managed to get the rights to reissue the entire catalog on DCC gold CD and/or SACD. I'm sure DCC would want to focus on the best-selling titles. Until Steve confirms this, I'm taking your comment with quite a few grains (make that boulders) of salt.

10. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Why laugh? Aren't I entitled to wishful thinking? "Obscured" is a great record; definitely the unsung hero of the PF canon. I'm sick of all the copies of WYWH, DSOTM, the Wall, etc -- enough already. BTW, you realize MoFi had announced Ummagumma back in '94 or so?

11. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Me either. Just curious what having the rights to the PF catalog *really* means in this case.

12. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I'll also add that Rhino saw fit to reissue Zabriskie with bonus material. I think it could be an appealing title -- rare PF, Grateful Dead, and John Fahey. Probably not outrageous to license, either.

13. wes

Hello Dave, I belong to the phonogram group, Steve's a member and his comments will pop up everyonce in a while with his email attached. Now I don't know what his email is offhand (need to write it down). But I sent him an email asking about the Floyd Catalog. He said,...."Capitol records will give us the Floyd catalog, when we pay them for the licensing....So not too much longer."

Anyway, I hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag too soon, because it still be a long time before we even hear about a Floyd release. Record companies can be crazy sometimes.

-Wes
    ;)

14. wes

Ah! I hate it when my typing fouls me up.

"It could be a long time" (correction post)

:D
    Wes

15. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I say leave the wrap on until it IS Christmas time. No peeking.

16. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Nooooo Sckott I gotta have it NOOOWWWWW!!!

And if Pink Floyd is coming, I wanna Vinyl copy as well as a gold disk.... anda SACD, DVD-A, 8-track, 78RPM.... (breathless)

Gimmie a call - my whining sounds soooo much better in person! ;)

But I really do want Vinyl as well as something indestructable, disc wise!

G

(no one's calling? :confused: ? :confused: ? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.