Steve, will you post photos of ALL of your systems??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Steve, would you share photos of all your stereo systems in addition to the "fun" system you've already shown us? I'd love to see what else you are running.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Just click on my profile. Everything is listed...

3. audio

Yeah, I know. I was hoping for photos, though. Steve, do you play a lot of vinyl? What made you choose the Thorens 2001? Can you talk about that a little bit? Also, I noticed you use the Symposium products. A friend of mine raves about the Svelte Shelves. I've been thinking of checking them out. Can you recommend them?

4. Steve Hoffman

Do I play a lot of vinyl? As in LP's? No. Mostly 45's and 78's.

I chose the Thorens 2001 because I needed a pretty good table, fast and that was what I could come up with. I haven't felt the need to upgrade. Can I recommend it? No.

I am a Symposium endorser so yes, I can recommend them. Their products work well for me. Heh, but why does it matter to you what I endorse? Remember Shakti's room treatments? I endorse those. And didn't I read on another Forum that you don't like McIntosh amps? I love them (or some of them). So, what does it matter what I like?

Warning: If you consider vibration control devices "snake oil", save it for the Marines!

5. audio

Great. Then I will check them out. You've used the Sveltes for speakers with good results, yes?

C'mon Steve, how could I forget the Shakti incidents? You told me to "yap up" and swore at me. Of course I remember Shakti. As long as you are asking why, I'll tell you. The theory behind the Svelte shelf makes perfect sense to me. The theory behind the Shakti Holographs does, but only to the extent that the theory of placing ANYTHING in a room alters the sound in some way, but for a grand per pair......well, let's not go there again. After all, I've not heard them and so I'll "yap up" until I do, I promise, but Steve, you can't keep bringing it up. That's not fair.;) I already feel bad enough for pissing you off.

Again, as long as you're asking, yes, I did say that on another forum. I didn't know you read AudioKarma. I've not made big mention of it over here because I know there are a lot of die hard Mac fans and so what's the point? The Mac stuff I've heard is a ton of new tube and solid state pieces, as well as a hand-full of vintage. The vintage ones I've heard were "slow and colored" to my ears, but still pleasing. The bass just wasn't happening for me and that's what killed it. Now I almost posted on this today, but I've not had the chance yet. Last night, I spent about 4 hours at the home of a fellow AudioKarma member who bought an Electro Voice Aristocrat from me, listening to a 1960 McIntosh 240. I was absolutely stunned. This shattered my previous impression of vintage McIntosh gear, but this is the first time I've been blown away by a McIntosh piece, including their $15,000 Anniversary cruise ship.

As I've told you before, I adore your work. Therefore, I am willing to buy products blindly based on your recommendation in many cases. Your mastering has demonstrated to me that you understand how I want to hear music. Not only that, but dude....am I the only one who reads the forum? It matters to a lot of people what you like, of course, and you know that. I purchased a $900 pair of vintage Tannoys based SOLELY on your recommendation. I rushed out and paid top dollar for a matched pair of NOS Amperex gold pin 7308s based SOLELY on your recommendation. And I will buy ANY cd with your name on it. What I am saying is that just because I suspect that Shakti is funny or I don't like every McIntosh piece that I've heard doesn't mean that your opinion doesn't mean a lot to me. Otherwise, why would I waste my time hanging out in the hardware section of your forum and asking you questions? In addition, wouldn't it be a bit strange if I agreed with EVERYTHING you said? So maybe I won't like some of your recommendations, but so what? If I end of loving half the stuff you tell me about, then I'm one hell of a lot better off than I am now, right?

I do not consider vibration control devices snake oil. Such an opinion would be completely foolish.

6. Steve Hoffman

I spend most of my time over there at the old Color TV Forum. The only one on the internet:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36

The guys on the audio Forums over there are ok but some are a pain in the butt. They sure gave you a hard time when all you did was ask a simple question about wire or something. You kept your cool though. I was impressed. That's why most Forums like that I try and avoid; too elitist. Of course we here have been accused of being that so what the hell.

Hope you like those Tannoys. I'm concerned that the 12" model will not give you enough bass omph...

7. audio

Yeah, I was just over there reading the other day, trying to find some information on this early, round screen color RCA tv in a console that I bought at a garage sale for $2. I paid for it, took the folks phone number, and I've not picked it up yet because I have nowhere to put it and I'm not sure I know what to do with it. They haven't called me yet either, so they may have junked it.

You're not kidding. I didn't realize how good we have it over here until the time I got suspended and spent a week on some other forums and dealt with a bunch of jerks. I suppose we are elitist over here, just like anywhere else, but the difference is that none of the members at this forum would ever get away with, or consider being as nasty as they can be elsewhere. Basically, when I want to discuss something or need an opinion, it starts here. I'll post on it and see what you have to say. Then I'll take the topic elsewhere just to get a well rounded variety of opinions on whatever I'm looking into. In the end, it's always Steve Hoffman's advice that I take the most seriously.

I hope I like them also. I had to try them because I thought $900 shipped was a good deal and I couldn't afford the 15"s at the moment. If I don't like them, then I'll sell them and try the 15"s. If I don't like the 15"s, I'll plow through Altec, Klipsch, JBL, Bozak, Electo Voice, etc until I find a vintage speaker I can live with. I want you to understand, though, what kind of bass I like. I don't like HUGE, p.a. system, JBL style monster bass. I don't like boom and one note bass. I like accurate, very tight, very defined, natural sounding bass. Even if it's a little lean, as long as I can make out the notes, hear the character of the bass guitar, and it has a certain taughtness that I like, then I am happy. I was actually more worried that the 15"s might have too much bass for me. I need to be able to hear what the bass is doing, and that is more important to me than feeling it. For example, the White Album and Abbey Road....when I listen to those albums, I am so into the bass! On something like Klipsch corner horns or giant JBLs, it sounds just a little to BIG for my taste. Also, remember my room is only 11x13. We'll see, I guess.

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

A lot of wonderful stuff... I wish I had the place. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.