Steven Spielberg says it’s time for a woman to play Indiana Jones

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Marty Poppins? The irascible pool boy who proves to Mr. Banks that his wife isn't spending all of her time at suffragette rallys?

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Ya know guys, this is a strawman argument which is based only on the presumption of badthink on the part of the people whom you presume to correct.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  3. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

4. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

To quiet the debate wasn’t my intention. I was simply trying to say that a future female Indiana won’t ruin the past films and won’t change the first three from being the classics they are. If it comes out and it stinks like the new Ghostbusters then so be it...the fact it stunk doesn’t change the fact that when I see the first Ghostbusters on TV I stop and watch it.

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Of course. If it were an isolated instance, then so be it. But it's not. I'm all for women having equal rights in all things, I really am. But doing things like this just makes the whole debate laughable. It cheapens the argument, and suggests not simply that men and women are equal - but that they're the same. This latter proposition is nonsense.

LitHum05 likes this.
  7. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

The point really isn’t that it’s a female Indiana Jones film. So what? The problem—for me, at least—is that the film is being sold as a political corrective rather than a piece of popular art. I’m so tired of this signaling of one’s virtue as a way of responding to the cesspool of social media. I suspect I’m not the only one.

Strat-Mangler and Vaughan like this.
  8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I think we see this differently. I don’t see it as an equality thing...I see it as a failing franchise (after the last one anyway) that could use some new blood and since there isn’t anything Indiana did that a strong woman couldn’t do then why not give it a shot? Is a reboot with say Emily Blunt worse than trying to reboot the series with Shia LeBeouf?

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  9. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Bickering, personal attacks, politics.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.