Steven Spielberg's "Ready Player One" - March 30, 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I'm excited to see it, I was a little skeptical outside of "It's Steven Spielberg" for a while but I got the book on audible so I'm excited to see how the book has translated to the screen. Some initial opinions on the movie have surfaced and It's got a reasonable tomato score which suggests so far so good but I'll have to wait a couple more weeks till it's out.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  2. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Sounds like some of the initial impressions are that, while it sticks to the basic plot points of the book, they took a lot of liberties with the details. Not surprising, considering how many properties are involved.

3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Way to video gameish for me .. the trailer gave me bit of a headache..
    I guess bored with virtual reality after Johnny Pneumonic
    And The Matrix .. this may be a flop..?

Ethan B likes this.
  4. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

I got tickets to an advance showing for Tuesday, really looking forward to this.

I think this will do well, retro and nostalgia is popular and this book/film is all about that.

SuntoryTime likes this.
  5. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Well, it was everything I'd hoped for, the story doesn't follow the book too closely but still done in a good way and in the spirit of the book, same great references and superb scenes - just think about what you could do with a VR world and recreating scenes from the movies - was great fun picking out stuff from my childhood, some of it long forgotten, and a bonus to see scenes from my hometown in areas I know fairly well. I think it will be a cult classic.

SuntoryTime and Rhett like this.
  6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Great stuff, rich100.

7. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I think that sort of stuff is inevitable with book adaptions especially given the rights issues they had to work out, I heard they couldn't get Ultraman and that character plays a pretty key role in the books. It seems like they spend a bit more time together in person than they do in the books. The book is pretty solitary until the last few chapters and even then it's a sort of brief meet and greet before they're back in the Oasis.

8. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

The couldn't get rights to Ultraman?? Bummer! Like you said, there are two key scenes with Ultraman, let alone the quest for the Beta Capsule that bonds Diato & Shoto to Parzival. The fact that rich100 liked it, and he read the book, makes me feel better, though.

SuntoryTime likes this.
  9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

This looks so, so dumb . . . For me, only Spielberg's name makes this eligible for even momentary consideration. Wasn't there an Adam Sandler movie about this?

MrGrumpy likes this.
  10. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

a lot of the changes in pop culture references were due to the filmmakers not getting the license to use the original referenced elements. Well, that and I imagine they had to fill in the backgrounds since the book can get away with saying there were lots of recognizable avatars, but the movie would have to actually SHOW them. Also, Spielberg removed references to his own work on purpose, because the book was so heavy with them and he didn't want the film to seem like a self-congratulatory wank-fest.

I do know the Iron Giant, for example, replaced the character that was used in the book because the owners of that character would not allow it to be in the film. Unfortunately.

I imagine the licensing budget for this film is the biggest in history... Ha ha!

SuntoryTime likes this.
  11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have not seen the previews - so I don't quite know what you are referring to - but the book is not dumb. It's a charming affair. And Spielberg is no dummy; the film may not be as clever as the book, but the trailer could be emphasizing parts of the film that you object to, and that's not what you may really see. I am not saying "you must see this"; I am saying that there may be more there.

12. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Pixels was the movie..

13. The trailer looks pretty good. Kinda reminds me of 2047 Virtual Revolution on a big budget and the social commentary of Nerve.

Not gunna hate on it considering its not another Marvel/DC/Bourne/etc sequel movie. Spielberg makes great films. Also, VR/MR/AR is becoming a thing.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Curious to hear what anyone who saw it in 3D thought. I hesitate to see things in 3D for the most part, but sometimes its worth it.

15. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

I avoid 3d like the plague normally, but had no choice for the viewing we went to. The depth effects were quite subtle and seemed in proportion, and considering I normally find 3d uncomfortable to watch I didn't mind it in this one so much. Didn't seem to play up the effects for the sake of it like some I've seen do.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

If It's Spielberg I watch it! great trailer thanks...

SuntoryTime likes this.
  17. Michael

SuntoryTime likes this.
  18. Michael

I liked Super 8...

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ready....No!
    Not impressed myself.
    May pick it up on DVD

20. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I went to the movie last night and saw it in 2D, it is shot on film for the real world bits so I guess only the oasis bits would really benefit from 3D but I'm going to find sometime to see it on IMAX 3D or at least once more in 2D. I liked the movie overall but the pacing of the film really motored a long in places. I think probably they could have tried to make IOI a more ominous presence in the film but it was interesting to see the other characters more involved in the story. The book is a first person narrative from the perspective of Wade which worked well for the book but I don't think it would have translated quite so well to the screen.
    I was a little disappointed with the Alan Silvestri score but it was Okay I suppose, I've noticed that the full score is available on Apple Music now so I'll have to have a listen through it at some stage.

21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I loved the book.

Will go sometime this weekend...

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They're predicting that Ready Player One is only going to make $55M at the box office this weekend, and while that's not a disaster, it's not great for a movie that cost $175 million+ to make.

‘Ready Player One’ Zapping $12M+ Opening Day; $52M-$55M Four-Day Weekend

The reviews are mixed-to-positive, but I hope it does well. It looks like a souped-up nutty video game version of Willy Wonka, but the pop culture stuff looks like a riot to me.

SuntoryTime and Kiko1974 like this.
  23. Saw it yesterday and it brought me back a lot of good memories from my childhood and teen years so I enjoyed it minus the removed EVH guitar solo from Jump :realmad:.

SuntoryTime likes this.
  24. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Trailer looked like waaaay too much action for me.

25. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Tye Sheridan just isn't the box office draw he used to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.