Steven Wilson to remix ELP s/t and Tarkus -- Official

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vkamicht, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vkamicht

vkamicht Forum Resident Thread Starter

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....121603464526591.14146.114657261887878&type=1

Posted about an hour ago. Er, I guess the title is misleading, since they're already done.

I didn't see another thread about it, so here we go. My only question is if the original mix is going to be remastered by SW? There's no "official" remaster sitting around like the 30th anniversary ones were for King Crimson, for him to just throw in there. (that I'm aware of)

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Why remix two records that sound great?
    For surround I understand though...

3. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Better start saving my pennies, these look like must haves. Would have liked a Blu-Ray option though.

4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Don't know whether I'd wholly agree there, Paul.
    Apart from Pictures At An Exhibition, which really does sound excellent, most of their early albums are pretty good only. I'm not a fan of the sound of either Trilogy or Brain Salad Surgery, and both could only be improved by a remix to calm the treble excesses of the vocals and cymbals. Welcome Back My Friends - dunno what they can do with this sow's ear of a recording, but if the multitracks ARE actually available, at least we might get this minus the NoNoise.
    Tarkus is pretty good. The S/T album has some tape drop outs during the intro of The Barbarian which may be rectified by a remix. I'd like to hear Take A Pebble redone especially, as well as hearing The Three Fates with more bottom end.

5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I ordered these from Amazon on 3rd April, so this is not exactly breaking news!

6. I hate to break it to you but there is already quite a long involved discussion about these two releases here on the forums...somewhere.

7. bigtail

bigtail Senior Member

Link please...

8. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Yeah, but now we have the official release date! We don't have to wait years for them to come out like the King Crimson albums. I want my Lark's Tongues!

I think Tarkus is a little muddy at points, and the self titled album could certainly use even a little improvement. What was done with Aqualung will always remain a revelation over the original release.

But what's up with the DTS surround instead of DVD-A? That's a bummer. I hope the PCM stereo is at least 24/96. any word on that?

9. simon-wagstaff

Ordered from Amazon? I just looked and couldn't find them. What's the price?

10. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

They are listed on Amazon.co.uk (and you might notice the person who pre-ordered them lives in the UK):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tarkus-Lake...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1338036911&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emerson-Lak...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1338036911&sr=1-2

Not sure why the prices, when both are 3 disc sets are so different between the two, but there you go. I may order them from amazon.co.uk - and cancel if they show up on domestic (U.S) websites (since they ship quicker, and the strange thing is the last 2 or 3 orders I had ship from Amazon.co.uk never showed up, so they send out a second shipment (that did show up but took a long time)).

11. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I'm in, it's ELP's best twenty minutes.........IMHO.

12. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

What 5.1 releases should we expect next? Maybe something from Egg.

13. Will most likely be an import for the US since they have not found a label or distributor for the US. (Look for the ELP thread)

Also got my pre-orders in on March 31st.

You can also pre order at Play.com

ELP http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/32146276/0/Emerson-Lake-Palmer/ListingDetails.html

Tarkus http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/32146289/0/Tarkus/ListingDetails.html

14. John Buchanan

Their new US label is Razor And Tie isn't it?

15. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

This week.

;)

16. "There is no news on when these will be released in the US same as the upcoming Keith Emerson Band album due to be released In July as well. Keith is looking for a label and distributor for his album here in the US. If his album is not released by July from the UK, it will be put off until the fall as the UK does not like to release albums in January (because consumers are spent after Christmas) and also in August as people are broke after being on "holiday"."
    Tarkusnj

17. John Buchanan

Tee hee. They haven't changed labels in the US that often ;)
    Atlantic 1986 (?)
    Victory 1993
    Rhino 1996
    Shout Factory 2007
    Razor & Tie 2012

18. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I don't think there was ever a chance that Sony was going to release a DVD-A...they were always in the SACD camp. I suppose a blu-ray could have been a option but I'll take DTS - at least it's better than DD.

19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Taken from this thread :wave:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=277587&highlight=emerson+lake+palmer

REALLY, REALLY HOPE they'll remix 'Welcome Back My Friends' and 'Pictures at An Exhibition' next (studio albums aside). I know there would be great vaults material :goodie:

:cheers:

20. vjf1968

vjf1968 Well-Known Member

Great. Can't wait for the 5.1 remix of "Love Beach"! LOL

21. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Well, at least it's confirmed; hopefully, they will sound as good as the Caravan one (who's also DTS)...

22. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

For weeks now, there has been extensive talk on these boards about these releases at the SHF links someone provided above.

There are so many threads that pertain to ELP, could a gort please fold these responses into the Razor And Tie thread?

Thanks.

Later, Chris

23. dabl

dabl Senior Member

Per that thread the dvd-a spec unfortunately came from an un-named 'reliable source' who may or may not understand the difference between dvd-a and dvd-v and which now of course directly contradicts information from Steven W who until now had not weighed in on the details of the surround format of the final product.

Bummer.

24. simon-wagstaff

Price is certainly MORE than reasonable, even if I have to order them from the U.K.. Aqualung still irritates me. I am not paying 200 bucks for a blu ray disc.

25. Caravan was only Dolby Digital

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.