Steven Wilson to remix ELP s/t and Tarkus -- Official

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vkamicht, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougb222

dougb222 Forum Resident

Looks like Unknown Ballad is getting the ax, per SW on Twitter a couple hours ago:

Steven Wilson ‏@StevenWilsonHQ
    Unknown Ballad is being removed from Tarkus, I'm unsure why. The currently available pressing has it, subsequent pressings will not.

I have it preordered at amazon.com (had a gift card), but it's not released until 9/11. Should I cancel and reorder from amazon.co.uk? Don't mind spending actual dollars if it's the only way to get the whole ball o' wax.

2. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

I listened to this and can understand why they never released it. Not the greatest piece of music. Who is that singing?

3. Keith Emerson

Looks like the value of this first Tarkus release is going nowhere but up. :)

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not really if the song and singing sucks.

5. It would not be the first collection to increase in value based soley on the scarcity of the content -not the quality. But time will tell if I am right. I ordered a second copy just in case. I can't see this set losing much value anyway as it is a very fair price for a 3 disk set.

6. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Does anyone know where I can hear a sound sample of 'Unknown Ballad'?

Many Thanks

Scott

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

8. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

:D...Good one. Anyway I have these on the way from amazon UK will see how this pans out. What's really to be removed?

9. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

OK, thank you. I hadn't followed that.

11. Tank

Tank New Member

Really?

Makes no sense to me. Kind of nice to hear a side of Emerson we've never heard before.

Do they really think it is so important that some old, unused outtake remains unheard....... even by ELP collectors?

Whether Emerson or anyone else thinks the ballad is "good" or not would seem to miss the point, IMO.

12. pmg

pmg Forum Resident

There's a suggestion it isn't Emerson, or ELP.

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, it is a demo that ELP probably didn't like much. I won't miss it if my copies don't include this song.

14. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

Nice to have soon a soon-to-be-rare item in my shelf :D

15. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I wouldn't lose time asking, just go for it and make sure you have it if you want it.
    Better safe than sorry, and all that.

16. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Or maybe there is a copyright problem? I find it strange that the three guys have not approved the product before it was manufactured....

17. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Agreed. I think it needs to remain unknown . . .

18. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I've heard its Gary Moore (who wont be complaining) on a Greg Lake solo demo

19. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

All I'm saying is that it doesn't sound very good from the sample, but I don't think that in and of itself is a reason to pull it. That was just being a little sarcastic. Amazingly, I've never owned Tarkus, so I'm pulling the trigger on this one.... even if it means I may have to listen to the entire "Unknown Ballad" song :)

I could see it being pulled before production if one of the guys didn't want it to see the light of day, but after it's already been released (with the associated costs of making the change on future pressings)? Doesn't make sense to me. I wonder what the real story is here and if it really is an official change.

20. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

I've just compared the two existing 5.1. mixes of "Lucky Man" on DVD-A.
    (it was a bonus track on the Rhino BSS)
    And although I prefer Steven Wilson's mix a bit, the overall sound of the older version is better EQ'd (=less boomy) on my system. Can anybody confirm this?

Martin

21. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I have not listened siide by side and its been a while since i listened to the Warner but my first impression ws how good the vocals sounded seemed a little 'drier' in the mix.

I also did not immediatly think that the new version was boomy

22. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Just in case it gets pulled and because I was genuinely interested, I picked up the new SW Tarkus at my local HMV for £10 (3 discs). Only time for a quick spin in the car - will compare against my MFSL UltraDisc II on the Naim CDX2 at the weekend.

Didn't have any problem with the Unknown Ballad track - for me it was OK ! Packaging is 'chunky' and fine.

23. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Had a listening session this pm and I have to admit I really enjoyed the new SW mix - all very good + nothing sounded 'unnatural' to me at all and I did prefer it to the MFSL. I don't have a surround set up but tried the Stereo mix on disc 3 in the PS3 for a bit of fun, but Disc 2 was way better through the Naim. If you are a fan and can get it cheap then I think it's a no brainer. Can't wait for Steve's versions of BSS and Trilogy - my 2 favourite ELP releases!

24. Tank

Tank New Member

A lot people have worked hard here on establishing the best CD versions of these albums. I have read through a lot of it in a huge thread here and it was very helpful to me as a big ELP fan. Since some people seem late to the party in this thread, I guess pointing out a couple of things might help when talking about comparisons to other versions........

1) The s/t album: Best CD version is generally considered to be the WG Manticore. The Shout Factory is also liked.

2) For Tarkus: Again the WG Manticore is favored by many but also the original Atlantic CD has many fans. The MFSL is generally not well regarded.

I'm waiting patiently for my new ELP discs and will be comparing to the Manticores in case anyone is interested.

25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I think CD one from each set will be the same (in all respects) as the Shout Factory version.

I think Lucky Man (stereo hi-res) sounds much better on the new set than on the DVD-A of Brain Salad Surgery; the latter is quite noticeably compressed (by about 3 dB) and is too "trebly".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.