Steven Wilson “To The Bone” Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Thanks for the review.
    I saw the HCE tour and was blown away.
    Sounds like this tour is a can’t miss.

2. Harry42

Harry42 Forum Resident

The first gig i attended this year was a seated venue in Frankfurt. Great concert. It was second row. I'm not very tall, so i love seated concerts. But the projections hurt my neck :D

The second concert was in Hamburg - also seated, but i had tickets in the back. So this time i could enjoy the projections better.

The sound was great at both concerts. And i can say that his talking between the songs was very different.

The third concert was an open air gig in Bonn. I won the tickets in a contest from my company. When i got to the counter to get the tickets, heavy clouds were coming. But fortunately - i did not know that before - i had a vip-ticket for the dry area:D. But he didn't start until the rain stopped. The concert was great, but this time they showed the projection on very small screens. SW described it as very spinal tap-ish:biglaugh:

3. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I'm with you. The bummer is, my wife can't do SRO for 2+ hours, so she's saying home. I'm sure I'm going to owe her a dinner but I rather have her at the concert.
    Oddly enough, he doesn't seem to lose anything when playing to a seated audience vs standing.

4. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

Quoting myself. Told my girlfriend about the show and guess what, I’ll be standing on December 1. :shrug:

5. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

The good news is Steve is coming here to town. The bad news is he is playing a Sunday
    night concert opposite the NFL and the CFL Grey Cup game. It hurts me to say that I'm
    probably going to pass on the concert.

6. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Me and my daughter are in like Flint to the Vancouver kicker of the tour

7. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

The venue he's playing in Chapel Hill NC is pretty much of a long standing dump - in particular when it's full. Too bad I can't make the Orange Peel show in Asheville. While I will be happy to attend, I expect my other half will be miserable.

8. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

The venue he’s playing in Hamilton, ON, on a Saturday night (11/24) is tiny, can’t wait!! Never seen SW before, this will be my first experience of 4.0 Quad live show.

DaverJ likes this.
  9. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Can't believe he added a second leg and there's still no shows convenient for me.

Considering making the 5 1/2 drive to Sayreville, NJ as it's a Saturday show... but the venue looks like a hole.

10. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Crap, got busy at work and noticed my Outlook reminder (set for 9:30) for tix at 11:03am and nothing available.

11. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

Don't tix go on sale Friday 10am local?

12. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi Forum Resident

Thd tour continues into 2019, playing throughout Europe January/February. No UK shows so far.

Northwind likes this.
  13. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Presale was today

14. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

This is certainly the longest tour he's ever did.
    Hope the 5 1/2 EP promised with songs from the To The Bone sessions (this could be released as bonus tracks on the RAH live release, like the Insurgentes DVD) and album 6 is coming out soon.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  15. I am going to the Sydney show in November which is close to the last seated show on the tour(Phew!).Hope he gets this standing show thing out of his system after this run.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  16. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

That is my concern. I hope work on the next full length album isn't pushed back now because of this tour extension.

17. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Just got my pre-sale tickets for Atlanta in December!
    Excited... it'll be my first SW gig, two hour drive... Hope the wife can take it.

DaverJ likes this.
  18. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I'm not sure if the presale code is the same everywhere but WALRUS worked for me here in Dallas.

I still don't know any of his albums despite buying a couple but love his surround work so it was easy work for you guys to convince me to buy a ticket to the show! I figure I'll have a few months to learn his stuff. Any recommendations? Start with To The Bone and work backwards?

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  19. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Got mine to the Vancouver show!

20. Good choice.To The Bone is a much easier place to start than say Hand Cannot Erase.By the time the show is approaching the Live At The Royal Albert Hall set should be out and that will be a great preview/souvenir of this tour.If you want to get a feel for his Porcupine Tree stuff I can recommend this year's rerelease of Arriving Somewhere.

jamesc likes this.
  21. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Same here. Remember, no moshing. :)

utopiarun likes this.
  22. George Co-Stanza

Probably a good way to go since he will still be playing a lot of To the Bone material. And working backwards works since the three previous solo albums are all tremendous as well.

And don't forget Porcupine Tree, where he did a lot of his best work.

jamesc and OptimisticGoat like this.
  23. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I'm going to Melbourne in November. My first SW show and taking my 16 yo son. Greatly anticipating it.

Alternative4 likes this.
  24. manco

manco Forum Resident

Seems to me like Steven's vocals are shot. Too much touring, too old. He better stick to being an instrumentalist and have somebody else sing.

25. George Co-Stanza

Wait, what? SW has never been a standout vocalist, but usually does a good job considering his limitations as a singer. It is that kind of voice that will age well.

DaverJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.