Steven Wilson “To The Bone” Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manco

manco Forum Resident

Compare with 2012/2013 vocals and see what I mean. 2012 especially in Mexico City he was really strong. Now his vocal is like this wispy thing.

2. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I’d probably go if he wasn’t playing at the Variety Playhouse here in Atlanta, which is a horrible venue as far as I’m concerned. I’ve seen a few bands here and each time they sounded muffled and like listening to music with 20 lbs. of concrete poured into each ear.

3. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Let's wait until the live RAH gets released, which will be mixed properly from the multitracks and compare it then.
    I personally don't think his voice is shot, it's just songs like Permanating, Asylum and Refuge are hard to sing live. Especially when you compare it to the studio version, which is full of vocal production/overdubs.
    He can still nail People Who Eat Darkness/Detonation. But generally songs from To The Bone are much harder to sing compared with GFD/Raven for what is worth.

DaverJ and George Co-Stanza like this.
  4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I think it is also worth mentioning that he is using less effects on his vocals in the studio than he used to.

manco likes this.
  5. manco

manco Forum Resident

Well maybe they are harder to sing, but he is 50+ now so.... he should start thinking about perhaps making somebody the lead singer on tour.

6. manco

manco Forum Resident

Yeah but look at him here:

15 years ago, w/o any effects he's really strong on vocals. Of course he was 35 at the time. Hell even on "Octane Twisted" from the 2010 gigs he's pretty strong.

7. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

A big no from me. Who does that anyway?
    Hell, Marilyn Manson and Billy Corgan are still the main singer in their bands, why would Steven stop singing and make someone else the lead singer?
    It's not like he's Ayreon, Black Sabbath or Deep Purple.

Rufus rag likes this.
  8. manco

manco Forum Resident

Thom Yorke is pushing 50 and his vocals have not really diminished that much.

9. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Apples and oranges. Steven is a much better vocalist and musician than Thom, even if you compare SW now versus Thom Yorke in his peak (if he ever had one), in my opinion.

Rufus rag likes this.
  10. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

He has stated some of the vocals on TtB are pushing his vocal envelope, especially the few mentioned where his register is higher. This is due to his love of Prince and wanting to sound a bit like him, higher range vocals.
    Like he says "can a white kid from Hemel Hempsted sing like Prince?"

Has nothing to do with his age. Porcupine Tree vocals are not harsh, pretty mellow for the most part IMO.

11. Mirror Image

This post reeks of elitism.

Alternative4 likes this.
  12. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

It's just my honest opinion! I prefer SW over Radiohead/Thom Yorke. If that makes me a music elitist, I'm not ashamed of it. :p

Back on topic, would he debut new songs in his December leg of the TTB tour? Is there a chance we could hear How Big The Space live?

Rufus rag and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  13. KentishMan

KentishMan Forum Resident

Saw him last time around at the Keswick and just pulled the trigger on the Filmore show here in Philly. I'm not looking forward to standing but the teenage me is sitting on my shoulder shouting "what the hell happened to you, man!"

14. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I saw Garbage there a couple years ago and it's actually pretty nice on the inside- I think it was redone after Hurricane Sandy.

Northwind likes this.
  15. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

First part maybe yet doubtful, second part slim to none.

16. Mirror Image

Saying you prefer one musician over the other is fine, but when you start claiming that one musician is better than the other, especially when both men have an immense musical talent all of their own, it becomes an eyebrow raising affair.

17. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Been following Steve for many years but never managed to catch him in concert until April 19th on his 2018 (opening U.S. tour) appearance in Albany. No SW aficionado but really enjoy Get All You Deserve (one of my favorite live albums) and was hoping for something like that. Of course the concert material was heavily biased towards To The Bone (which I had not previously heard) but I grew tired of what sounded like guitar shredding during a few of the solos; but maybe that's just the sound on the new record. But it was a thrill to see Nick Beggs, awesome bass player. Caught him with Steve Hackett at a 2017 Ridgefield Playhouse appearance in CT, consistently amazing to say the least.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  18. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

After considering what you said I see I made a bad word choice. Of course music taste can never be objective, didn't mean to start a war or anything.
    I just wanted to state that SW's vocal style and that of Thom Yorke is quite different, and SW's music resonates with me much more than Radiohead ever did.
    Namely, quite what you just said above. Hope this could clear the air!

Rufus rag likes this.
  19. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I have my tickets for his upcoming Australia and NZ tour in November. It's going to be a blast to finally see him in my hometown of Auckland at long last.

Alternative4 and Rufus rag like this.
  20. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Got tix for Hamilton, regular sale. Yes!!

21. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

Got tix for Asheville NC (seated) and Nashville TN (standing)... can't wait!!!!

gillcup likes this.
  22. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

Seeing him a third and fourth time on this tour - Philly and Sayreville. I hate the standing general admission - don't get it for the prog rock portions. What should I be doing during "Ancestral?" Interpretive dance? No one wants to see that...

sleepjar, utopiarun and Rufus rag like this.
  23. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I got tickets for Carrboro. I can't believe he's playing such a small venue there. It's a club, no seats, difficult to see the stage I'm used to seeing him in nice auditoriums.

Aardvark23 likes this.
  24. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Ordered tickets for SW in Atlanta.. it's a first time for me.
    The Variety just finished like nine months of redesigning the place.
    I am worried though, as it is apparently general admission (?).
    That is BS.. four hip replacements, I can't do lines.

Are other venues G.A. ? for those that have just bought tickets..
    Thx.. I appreciate any info.

25. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I was trying to find out the capacity of Starlight but haven't come across anything. Any guess on how many people it holds?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.